The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default How would you feel if...

a BO knowingly turned your horse out with an extremely nasty mare (who is known for double barreling) and your horse got seriously injuried?

as in she kicked him in the face and broke his jaw.

this is not a current problem, but it was something that has happened in the past. The mare had been turned out in a variety of fields with different horses and it was always the same, she was evil to everyone and someone usually got hurt.

How would you feel?
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

I'd be pissed.

Why would the BO/BM even want to keep a horse like that around, knowing the potential for injury to another boarder's horse? Or to a person that may inadvertently be in the way?

Talk about a liability.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

I would either insist that that mare not be allowed to be turned out in the future, and if bo refused, I would move because my horses deserve safe turnout and I am not going to keep them locked in because of some idiot.

I lost my mare in this exact scenario, her leg was broken, and it was the "help" who thought he new better than the BM who put the two together.

How did I feel? Irate with the worker, furious with the BM for letting him handle horses, and disappointed with myself for trusting these people with my horse.
    ~~Member of the TB's Rule Clique ~~

I'm pretty sure I'd feel the need to go ballistic on the BO!

Why are you asking? Just curious. I would've been out of that boarding situation eons ago if this BO knowingly turns out this mare with other horses, and there has been a bunch of seriously hurt horses. I would've at least instructed the BO that I did not want my horse anywhere near that mare (in writing), and then if BO went ahead and turned out my horse and that mare, I'd be seein' the BO in court.

Who owns the mare? BO? Or another boarder?

It depends on the scenario. If they were getting along swimmingly across the fence, and she felt that this mare may have finally found someone she can get along with. Once they are in the same field, all hell breaks loose. This actually happened before, so it is a reasonable scenario.

If she just threw the horses out together without any reasonable assumption that they would get along, then I would be annoyed and seeking compensation for veterinary care.

It would also depend on the reaction of the barn owner. If she called me in teras, just as upset as I was, then I would be less annoyed than if she acted non-chalant or defensive.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

If this mare's behavior was known to the BM and she had a history of being nasty to other herdmates, and the BM turned my horse out with her anyway, livid would not even begin to describe it. BM would be getting the bill for whatever injuries her "oversight" had caused and my horse would be out of that barn ASAP, 30 days notice my ass.

Horses like that mare ought always go out alone. There should be a sign on her stall door saying as much, and her owner needs to have it written in the boarding contract that the mare is always to be turned out alone, no exceptions unless permission has been asked for and granted, not only by mare's owner but also by potential herdmates' owners.

It is a liability both to owner and BM to have a horse like that, but with competent people it can be worked around.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

up the hill from the little river (that floods alarmingly often)

Quote Originally Posted by Ajierene View Post
    It depends on the scenario. If they were getting along swimmingly across the fence, and she felt that this mare may have finally found someone she can get along with. Once they are in the same field, all hell breaks loose. This actually happened before, so it is a reasonable scenario.
    They should only be turned out together with permission of BOTH horses' owners. Nasty's owner might not want the liability, and other horse's owner might not want the risk. That is not the BM's decision to make unless she wants to accept responsibility for the outcome.
    Full-time bargain hunter.

It happened to a friend of mine at a clinic, sort of by accident. I can't remember the details, but a bee-yatch mare was in a paddock, and my friend was told to turn his gelding out in there over the lunch break. Already I would've been balking over this if I were the visitor -- why would you need to introduce horses for such a short duration? My horse would be tied to my trailer with a nice hay bag... but I digress.

Apparently people at the clinic and around the barn knew that no horse should be turned out with bee-yatch mare but no one said a thing. My friend's gelding needed A LOT of stitches and was out of commission for a while -- and it could have been so much worse. My friend said eh. I would have said much much more!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

Quote Originally Posted by onelanerode View Post
    They should only be turned out together with permission of BOTH horses' owners. Nasty's owner might not want the liability, and other horse's owner might not want the risk. That is not the BM's decision to make unless she wants to accept responsibility for the outcome.
    If you are speaking legally, that probably depends on the boarding agreement. If there is nothing in anyone's boarding agreement about seeking permission before turning horses out together and the barn owner had reasonable assumption that these two horses would get along, then she may very likely not be found liable.

That is not the question at hand, though. The question is how would 'you' feel. I expressed how I would feel.

it was a scenerio that occured at a barn that I cleaned stalls at as a teen, and I was just thinking of the horse and his owner who got kicked today and I just think it sucks. and I wish his owner had raised some hell about it when it happened, but she didn't. The owner of the mare knew it was her horse that injuried him. the same mare had double barreled my gelding on a trail ride once too. we were all cantering along until all of a sudden the mare and the horse in front her her threw their brakes on with no warning and before we could stop the mare had throw her feet up in our faces. Poor Alex had a horse shoe print on his chest for a couple of days after that.

One of the reasons i'm so glad to have my ponies at home is that I don't have to deal with other bitchy horses and for the most part my herd gets along really well. I've been laughing at them in the morning as they have all been standing at the back fenceline watching something going on in the farm field behind us. Thinking about thehorse that got hurt just made me wonder how I would handle the same situation if I ever had to board again.
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.