The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Charles Owen Ultralite Euro Skull Cap?

Anyone wear one? I'm looking for a new helmet after a crash with mine... And it's $100 that I can totally afford; plus it's obviously ASTM/SEI certified and the British.
    I just can't find any reviews on SmartPak or Dover or any site! Is it comfortable as the other skull caps? Suitable for eventing? (seeing as some look like they're more geared towards racing, but I'm not sure)
    Also, anyone wear the Pro II skullcap or the J3? Which has better ventilation? Would you say they fit more of a round head or oval shape? I'm obviously going to try them on, but if I can narrow it down, all the better.
    Thank you all!
    May your tall boots be shiny, your breeches spotless, and your show shirt ironed, but watch out for the horse slobber on your shadbelly.

Yes, I have one. It's pretty similar to the Pro in fit but the harness is different (doesn't have the back laces). I like it a lot--but if you're broke and just starting out, I wouldn't bother with a skullcap, I'd get something like the JR8 (or its IRH or Ovation equivalents) that you can wear for all three phases without messing around with hat covers etc. I don't feel like it's significantly cooler, despite the vents, than the JR8, plus the hatcover it comes with with the mesh panels is kind of goofy looking.

I think the COs are supposed to fit more oval heads.

Thanks. My CO Hampton is uncomfortably small, but I fit in CO hats nicely. I'm planning to try on every helmet in the store.

That's all I really needed to know; I just haven't seen any reviews on them.
    May your tall boots be shiny, your breeches spotless, and your show shirt ironed, but watch out for the horse slobber on your shadbelly.

I have both! I have a pea head size, 0.5! The Ultralite is very comfortable and fits well. I will use it for dressage tests. I have the gold Pro II, and I love it also. The J3 was more bulky to me, but I still wore it until I decided I needed a new one. I prefer skull caps to the other helmets. I am old school, and I have always shown in one! You can't go wrong w/ either.

Oh, wow, that is a small head! A friend of mine keeps telling me how comfy hers is, and my parents are convinced they're safer for eventing.
    This helps so much, thanks!

I have one, and I LOVE It! So comfortable! I'll never go back.

I've had my Pro II skull cap for probably a year and a half now, LOVE IT. Totally recommend it! Just this past month I bought the Wellington Professional, also another winner! The two fit a little differently, so make sure you try a bunch of sizes on before buying. (Duh.)
    Charles Owen all the way!
    "Red on the right, white on the left, insanity in the middle."

My previous helmet was the Ultralite Euro, fantastic hat. I found it very comfortable and it didn't give me the dreaded "mushroom head" look.
    I now have the Pro II, the vents don't make a huge difference but I've noticed that the lining never seems to get grimey. Incredibly comfortable, but I had to get a different size to what I had bought in the Ultralite Euro (I think I went down a size with the Pro II). The vented silk that comes with the Pro II is a bit useless, though- it slips off all the time so I now use the free silk from my Ultralite.
    I tried on the J3 but it made my head look enormous.

Thanks again! I was just curious why the Ultralite was $100 only, but seems like it's no big deal.
    Do you notice any suitable difference in breathability in skullcaps? I get sweaty pretty easily, which is why I like the Pro II's lining, and my Hampton was just so unbreathable in the summer.

I don't think there is any difference in the breathability. The venting in the Pro II didn't make much difference. I live in Georgia, so it's miserable anyway! Another reason for the cheaper price is probably the nylon instead of leather harness. Also, there is no "sweaty head" smell at all in the Pro. My Ultralite is still very new. Really like both!

I hail from Massachusetts, so our hot probably isn't like yours, but the sweaty hot smell... LOVE that!
    Looks like it's between the J3, Pro II (my personal favorite) and the Ultralite (my budget's favorite)... so thanks!

Default Love my ultralite

I have an ultralite. I love it. I think it had more 'break in time' than my prior JR8. At first, It a little snug on my head, and I was worried I'd get headaches. But then once I started riding it fits perfectly, very snug but very comfortable, which makes me feel safe in the end! I think I'd worry though that if I got what felt right in the store, it would be a little loose once broken in --- or that could just be the way my own head fits in it.

It doesn't feel cheap at all, as others said it maybe it's the nylon instead of leather harness, or other things like that, that puts it in a cheaper category.

Somewhere on here, I read that the reason the JR8 is cheaper than the GR8 is not only the harness but also because it is only sold in the US, so it didn't have to pass the British testing, saving them lots of money. I don't know if this is true, but if it is, my guess is that it's also true of the Ultralite--that it's not been through the BETA testing, only the ASTM.

Quote Originally Posted by Highflyer View Post
    Somewhere on here, I read that the reason the JR8 is cheaper than the GR8 is not only the harness but also because it is only sold in the US, so it didn't have to pass the British testing, saving them lots of money. I don't know if this is true, but if it is, my guess is that it's also true of the Ultralite--that it's not been through the BETA testing, only the ASTM.
    The Ultralite passed the British testing. It is kitemarked to PAS015 and BSEN1384. I'd guess that the lower cost is due to lack of vents, nylon harness instead of leather, no laces on the back- it's fairly basic (still a good hat though, I'd have another).