The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Quick Question about Woof Boots and pull on bell boots!

Ok so I am looking at getting some woof brushing boots for my horse and was wondering how they ran size wise, it says S (ponies) M (cob) and L (Full), in the past when I have gotten boots (ok so its been like 6 years or maybe more since I bought a pair!) they had s,m,l, xl small being ponies, med small to average horses, large for big horses and xl for really big horses. I have pretty much always bought M for my horses that I have had because they have all been 15-16hh.

Then I was looking at these bell boots http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...RecentlyViewed and the only come in M (which they say is Quarter Horse sized) L (average horse) and XL (warmblood), again last time I bought bell boots (about 3 years ago) they came s, m, l, xl and I bought mediums usually. Anyone have a comment on which size to buy? My horse is a Quarter horse, but I really dont want them to be too small or too big and I don't really have the ability to try them and send them back as I am going to visit my horse over the holidays and want to use them then! (My horse and I live in different states!) so thoughts?

Regarding the pull on bell boots - do you know what size shoe your horse wears?

QH mare, just shy of 15 hands, not sure of size, but her Woof brush boots are 3 straps front, 5 straps hind, wears an 0 shoe takes a Medium pull on bell boot. Hope this helps.

My 15.3 TB wears size 1 shoes, and I buy the Italian gum pull on bell boots in size large for him.
    Cindy

I always bought M or L for my 16.0 Appendix gelding; L for a heavy-set 15.2 paint, and S for medium/large ponies. Not sure if that helps -- I'd probably go with medium though, if they're in the 15-16 range and don't have gigantic feet?

You may want to go with the mediums. I have these bellboots for my TB, he is 16.1 and has pretty substantial bone to his legs. He wears a size 1 shoe and the size L in those bellboots fits him really nicely. I had originally bought the XL to be sure they would cover the back of his shoes, but they were too big and would fall off in turnout. They do stretch and get a little bigger as the horse wears them also.

Well I read a bunch of reviews on the bell boots, and went with Larges as many people said they ran a bit small, and I am pretty sure my horse wears a 1 shoe. Also went with Med Woof Boots because I would rather them be a little short than too long plus he has short legs! So hopefully it works!

I have the pull ons. First of all, let me say that they are great! Mine have held up wonderfully. However, I always buy 1 size up for pull ons. My TB wears a size 1 shoe and usually takes a M in velcro bell boots. I bought a large in these and they are perfect! Make sure you buy the natural gum as opposed to black or white - the gum ones seem to stretch better.