The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Winter woolies + show tomorrow + really cold weather (well, cold weather for us)

So the high today is mid 40s and I really think that's way to cold to wash the horse I'm taking to a show tomorrow.

He still has his winter woolies (except for a modified bib clip I gave him tracing the gullet from throatlatch to chest) so he will also take forever to dry. It is going down to 29 tonight (brrrr!)

I'm leaving to go braid and clean him in the next hour or so.

I have these bath-in-a-wipe product ... should I just thoroughly clean him with that? What are my options here so that I don't have a freezing horse but also don't have a dirty one either?

Help!

ETA: oh look what I found!

http://www.horsegroomingsupplies.com...ng-113475.html

OK, so I think I'm gonna wash his legs (he also has three white socks), thoroughly curry, brush, then rung out towel his coat ... and then do the grooming wipes last.

Any other suggestions?

Is your wash stall inside with hot water? If so, I'd say go for it, just make sure you have lots of coolers on hand. I'd also handwalk right after the bath inside the barn aisle to keep him warm. You can also bring old large bath towels to the barn to help get a lot of moisure off that way.

Or what you could do is go over him with a warm wet rag, then pop a cooler on him until he's completely dry after that.

Good luck at your show tomorrow!

Is he more on the dusty/scurffy side or on the crusty/muddy side?

If it's the first, I find either Absorbine or Listerine in a spray bottle and a rag works quite well for removing that last bit of dust/scurff that brushes just can't get out of a winter coat.

Spritz an area and wipe well with the rag (you'll likely need more than one). Those products also tend to not leave that weird wavy hair behind look when it dries.

just, I think we do have hot water but I can't remember haha (I've never had to use it!)

Our barn is concrete and is usually colder than it is outside during the day, but I could handwalk him outside in the sun afterward. Oh now I'm truly on the fence about this!

Longspot, he's just plain old dirty/dusty. He lives outside 24/7.

Northeast Ohio, where mud rules your world...

a horse vacuum or shop vac can go a long way for pulling dust and scurf out of a think coat.
    ...don't sh** where you eat...

Hmm well last time before a show I didn't have time to let him dry before braiding, so I ended up blowing him dry. I guess it isn't much of a leap to get him used to the shop vac!

I'll just have to swing by the house to pick it up. Good thinking, winfield!

Yup I am in the same boat. I at least usually wash his tail is it is HUGE. We are going dirty. I can not get off early so it will be getting dark by the time I can get out to the barn and I would rather him be dirty than get sick. I normally keep him washed for shows but it is just to COLD!!! Are barn is also cement block and we do have hot water.
    Pamela Ellis

I wouldn't bathe. Vacuum if you can, then do your suggested routine. You won't be the only one with a less than sparkling horse if the weather sucks.

I did a BNT dressage clinic last winter when it was about 5 degrees out for a high and no warm, or even indoor and enclosed, place at that barn to groom. I was on a borrowed, black horse whose owner wasn't much of a regular groomer. We were all kinda filthy. I apologized and she told me she was there to help me ride not judge my grooming skills. From under her 3 coats, lap blanket, scarf, and hat down to her eyelids...

Great suggestions so far. I will note that when I showed my lotsa-white pinto up in VA through the winter she got a proper bath even in sub-freezing temps. Inside, with hot water and a heat lamp hung outside the wash stall and shining into it, cooler and snug stall with lots of hay to munch right after.

When I didn't bathe, however, hot toweling can get a horse pretty darn clean. It takes a constant supply of scalding-hot water and some patience, but you can get a scrubbed-shiny horse with virtually no chill factor.

Good luck at your show! Where is it?
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

colored, going to Williamston NC for the dressage schooling show. Anyone going, look me up!

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_jHqBIAYy2bc/TM...0/IMG_4708.JPG

^ horse I'll be riding (and I'll be in my gray and brown jacket, not navy). Oh and I'll probably be the only one there with a horse with a modified bib clip just on his gullet

OK did the vacuum, wrung out towel and then did the horse grooming wipes and presto! Very clean horse.

Got him braided up and fancy. I put his blanket on with neck attachment to help smooth/shine his coat and keep him clean.

Thanks everyone! Now I know!!! I usually have clipped horses if showing in winter so this is quite a learning curve!

ETA: I've canceled my spot at the show (long, long, long day at work, the thought of no sleep tonight and no one coming with me to the show tomorrow, so I was just stressing). I'm disappointed but now I have a very clean pony!
    Last edited by AzuWish; Dec. 3, 2010 at 08:24 PM. Reason: not going to show tomorrow

Sorry to hear you aren't going, but get some well needed rest!

Did want to stop back in and comment regarding your picture. That is a lovely horse!