The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Triple Crown Low Starch

does anyone feed this?

what do you think of it?

I used to feed it in very small amounts primarily to mix with supplements. My horses loved it but I didn't feed enough of it to evaluate an impact as a major component of their diet.

I ended up switching to TC Lite because in one comparison chart I saw, it appeared to have even less of the dangerous carb/starch value (can't remember exactly the term they used) than the low starch. They love the Lite too.

I feed it to my Shivers/EPSM OTTB. I like it alright for him but he's retired so it is kind of hard to tell. It keeps him fat and happy, I can make it into a mash/soup easily if necessary. I did have my Training level eventer OTTB on it till he was competing fairly regularly and didn't seem to have a whole lot of sparkle. I switched him over to TC Training Formula and he quite literally came alive and bloomed.

The TC website is fantastic and can answer all your questions.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

I use it whenever (usually mid-winter) I need to feed more than the recommended max for TC Lite.

I like it fine- plenty of energy, and keeps the weight on them.
    Last edited by Janet; Dec. 5, 2010 at 11:02 AM.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

I feed it, my horse likes it, just wish it had more fat.
    Pro Slaughter
    Anti Parelli

Doesnt the TC Senior have less sugar/starch than the TC Low Starch actually?

Seems like I have read that on here before.... Interested because my horse is currently on TC Sr.
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

If anyone lives in an area with Southern States, check out the Legends Performance pellets (not textured). Less carbs that the TC light and I believe also than the low startch. Protein slightly less that TC light (11 v 13%), but more fat (10 v 6%). I switched my two over to it-- mare was on TC complete and gelding was on a mixture of complete and light, as light alone wouldn't keep the weight on him. I was happy with how both look and acted with the switch.

i have asked on here if anyone found it ironic that the sr. has a lower nsc than the "low starch". my horse, a hard keeper, does well on l.s.- i add canola oil. my guy went nutso on the complete, so never have tried the sr. on him. a few horses that i care for do well on the sr., i just don't dare try it on my guy because of the experience w/ the complete. (that and the sr. smells like choc. chip cookies...makes me think "hmmm"- possible horsey-crack...)

http://www.triplecrownfeed.com/artic...wn-horse-feeds

Senior is higher in ESC (simple sugars)and higher in WSC (simple sugars + fructans) then Low Starch.

thanks for posting the tc link.

Quote Originally Posted by Lieslot View Post
    http://www.triplecrownfeed.com/artic...wn-horse-feeds

Senior is higher in ESC (simple sugars)and higher in WSC (simple sugars + fructans) then Low Starch.
    That is the link I was referring to above. It states to select a feed low in starch + ESC value to prevent laminitis. The Lite has a much lower value than the low starch.

Can anyone expound on why there is a recommended max for the Lite?

I asked the TC rep about this very question -- the Lite has boosted levels of vits/minerals because the assumption is that you are feeding relatively small amounts. If you feed larger amounts, you may create problems overfeeding some of the supplemented vits and minerals...and so should feed Low Starch instead.

We feed Low Starch to our easy keepers during the colder months, when they get a bit more feed, and Lite during the warm months, when they get just a bit.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

I'd not overdo it on the TC Lite.

I think in general TC feeds are relatively high in iron.
    TC lite is 515 ppm,
    TC low starch is 170ppm

Therefore I'd rather give a good amount of TC low starch, rather then edging on too much TC lite.

Quick suggestion, start with only one bag....I bought 3 and two of my three horses, including the pony that would eat cobwebs, lol, won't touch it. I ended up giving it to another boarder.

It doesn't seem to be particularly tasty, if I feed it straight, mine aren't all too enthusiastic either, that's why I add on cup of Senior and wet it all into a mash. One of the glucosamine supplements they are on has some caramel flavor to it, so all mixed up, they are gobbling it up.
    But true the straight low starch pellet isn't the tastiest of them all.

Great information. Thanks!

Thanks for the link, I had searched around for it previously... My guy is doing pretty well on the TC Sr at the moment, but I always dig around for info on this stuff.
    FREE TACK/APPAREL ADS: BITS AND BARTER BOARD: http://bitsandbarter.proboards.com/i...ay&thread=5450

My horse has been eating it for over a year now. No issues with her ever not wanting to eat it. She has great skin and shine. People comment on how great she looks and how steady she is. I don't feed a lot so I give additional supplements for minerals and vitamins.