The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What did we do before Youtube?!?

Or even (gasp) before videos??

I can remember back in the dark ages when you had to actually get in a car or on a plane to see a sale horse in action.

If you wanted to see a horse show or an important class, you had to get up off your couch and go there.

Times have really changed.

Oh I have no idea!!

I would like to get after the person who just posted something about exchangehj.com grrrr @#$@#$@#$

I really shouldn't be up looking at horses on the internet when I'm supposed to be up at 6:30am tomorrow morning. lol.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

I think we spent more time driving and riding and less time staring at a screen. We asked more/better questions of sellers before we schlepped out to look at horses. We looked in a smaller area.

Remember when radiographs weren't digital and your options were either to have them shipped in one of those odd-sized envelopes that seemed to take forever to arrive or to hand-carry them? Not to mention the fact that the vets could only take as many shots as they had plates b/c they'd then have to run off someplace and develop them. And you'd watch the growing pile of plates while multiplying by the cost per plate in your head--kind of like going out for dim sum when they count the plates to figure out your bill. But I'm old enough to have held plates for the vet long before my 18th birthday.

I also didn't know that there were cats that you could wrap for Christmas and a number of other things.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Ummm.... people had lives outside their computers?

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    Remember when radiographs weren't digital and your options were either to have them shipped in one of those odd-sized envelopes that seemed to take forever to arrive or to hand-carry them? Not to mention the fact that the vets could only take as many shots as they had plates b/c they'd then have to run off someplace and develop them. And you'd watch the growing pile of plates while multiplying by the cost per plate in your head.
    Oh, my God, yes!

I remember the first time I met a very well-known vet, he had come to the farm to do a PPE on a horse we were selling, and after a very long and thorough exam, he brought in bag after bag after bag of plates. I thought I would be there holding that horse for another three hours, but he whipped through all those plates lickety-split.

Since the buyer was paying for it, I wasn't working out the ka-ching factor in my head, I was just wondering if I would get done with that day by midnight.

And remember too that they had to take the plates home to develop them, and THEN come back out again if all the shots didn't come out?

P.S. I'm sorry to say I read that the Christmas-wrapped cat has since passed away, but he will be immortal forever on Youtube.

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Grey_hunter View Post
    Ummm.... people had lives outside their computers?
    Those were the days, my friend!

Default Mailing out VHS tapes

I remember when buying , asking people over a 2 or 3 hour drive away for a video tape. And some sellers charging a few dollars for the tape or asking for it to be returned. Then watching with the trainer, then begging the parents to go for a drive.

And then when selling, I learned how to make copies of VHS tapes by using 2 vcrs. Just looked at my old pony's sale videotape when I was home.

It's a whole new world now!

Quote Originally Posted by MHM View Post
    Oh, my God, yes!

And remember too that they had to take the plates home to develop them, and THEN come back out again if all the shots didn't come out?
    And the debate about whether they should re-take one they thought maybe hadn't come out, thereby using up one of the precious remaining plates.
    The Evil Chem Prof

I believe Youtube and internet has kind of ruined it as far as selling goes. Sure, it's super convenient and no one has to go anywhere to see the horses but a lot of the times people need to see for themselves what a horse is all about. A video doesn't tell it all, neither does a photo ad or description. It's kinda sad if you think about it. My husband and I were talking about this very thing the other day...I don't know how many potential buyers we have lost over emails because you say one little thing that they don't like and we don't like to leave details out, we are up front and honest (i.e. cribber, club foot, etc.). All things that if they actually came to see the horse, they might be able to see through it.....

^^ Yes, or for example, to see that a horse's personality and rideability could more than make up for some small things here and there...

You mailed out tons of VHS tape and it cost a fortune. It was a pain in the @$$.

I think it's a double-edged sword with the internet. On the one hand, thousands more have access to the horse you are trying to sell. Alternatively, you had better have good marketing material otherwise you'll have trouble getting people out to look.

Have to say though...digital cameras/radiographs are one of the best inventions ever...

Remember vet emergencies before cell phones? Trying to decide if you should stay with the horse or by the phone if you were alone. Shoving quarters in a pay phone while everyone emptied their pockets looking for more. The first words out of the vet's mouth when s/he arrived were often "may I use your phone?" so they could check with the exchange to see if there were other emergencies.
    The Evil Chem Prof