The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

watchme Guest

Default What to feed coming 5 y/o hanoverian mare

Need advice. What to feed my coming 5 y/o hanoverian mare while in light work, and then for her 3 month winter rest/turn out. Currently feed 1 cup Gro N Win, 2 cups SafeChoice, 1/2 cup Ultimate Finish twice daily. Any comments or advice???

So she is getting about a pound a day of GW, two pounds of safe choice and a half pound of ultimate finish.

The problem is, she is not getting the recommended amount of GW. Up the GW to whatever she is supposed to get (thinking 2 lbs a day for a large horse?) and drop the Safe Choice. You can keep the UF if you wish unless she is fat. Add oats as Buckeye recommends if she drops weight, not another fortified feed. Assuming she is getting adequate forage.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by EqTrainer View Post
    So she is getting about a pound a day of GW, two pounds of safe choice and a half pound of ultimate finish.

The problem is, she is not getting the recommended amount of GW. Up the GW to whatever she is supposed to get (thinking 2 lbs a day for a large horse?) and drop the Safe Choice. You can keep the UF if you wish unless she is fat. Add oats as Buckeye recommends if she drops weight, not another fortified feed. Assuming she is getting adequate forage.
    Ditto....give the recommended amount of Gro N Win and you won't need anything else...that's the beauty of a ration balancer....ultimate finish is fine for extra calories

I give all my horses Plain Soaked Beetpulp, Progressive Nutrition Pro Advantage Grass Diet Balancer,PN Envision Classic(their versions of ration balancer and fat supplement) and free choice hay...and that's all they need...absolutely no need to add a fortified feed to this...it defeats the purpose,and actually would probably throw everything off balance

Drop the Safe Choice,and give the recommended amounts of GW and UF and you're good to go

Definitely stop feeding the safe choice, and feed the recommended amount of Gro 'n win. Depending on her weight and workload, she should be getting at least 1.75-3# per day. I love the Ultimate Finish and I think you should still feed her that, but I agree with the others...she probably doesn't need the safe choice.

watchme Guest

This is very helpful and is somewhat what I was suspecting. I was thinking too much fortified feed. She is not a large horse -- so maybe up the GNW to 1 1/2 cups twice a day keeping the 1/2 cup of UF twice a day. I am thinking she is going to be very sad when she looks in her food bowl and this is all she gets!! So if she still is hungry you are saying to feed oats--what oats do you suggest?? Do you think I could feed 1 1/2 cups GNW and 1 1/2 cups of oats and 1/2 cup of UF twice a day??

Your replies are so very appreciated.

If she is still 'hungry,' then you feed hay, not oats. Only feed oats if she can't maintain her weight with the Gro n win and UF alone.