The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Arena Rascal Pro vs Rascal LGR?

I have been scouring the threads regarding arena drags that can be used with a UTV, and we are down to the Arena Rascal Pro and the Rascal LGR. The Pro costs about $800 more than the LGR. My question is, is it worth it?

For some background, we just moved to a new arm, which comes with a nice 115x215 arena with stone dust footing. It also came with a bunch of nice jumps, and I plan on leaving several in the arena, which is why we are wanting something that can be groomed using the more maneuverable UTV rather than the tractor. This is not a commercial operation, just me and my horses and an occasional guest coming to ride.

So, recommendations? Do I just buy the LGR, or do I spring for the Pro? The rep from the company said I will need only one pass with the Pro, and will need "multiple passes" with the LGR. Can anyone with the LGR comment on this?

Will they let you demo both models and see which you like better?
    Jonah 4:4: And the Lord said, "Do you do well to be angry?"

College football season is HERE!!!

My advice would be to buy the more expensive one if it is going to better suit your needs.

I've never ended up being happy with making something do when for a relatively small amount of money (in the big scheme of farm things, $800 isn't much) I could have been much happier and been done twice as fast.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZ View Post
    My advice would be to buy the more expensive one if it is going to better suit your needs.

I've never ended up being happy with making something do when for a relatively small amount of money (in the big scheme of farm things, $800 isn't much) I could have been much happier and been done twice as fast.
    So this is the problem, I do not KNOW if the smaller one will suit my needs. That is the whole reason I am posting in the first place. I was hoping that someone who does not have a motivation to get me to spend more money (the Arena Rascal salesman) might have had some experience with both, and could tell me about the differences between the two machines. Or someone who has used the LGR could tell me more about it, as there seems to be ample info on the Pro. The salesman, quite frankly, was not terribly helpful in explaining the differences between the machines, and seemed more interested in just getting me to buy the more expensive one, but in the same breath, told me that the LGR would do the job that I need it to do.

In the grand scheme of things $800 is not going to break the bank, but I am in the process of moving a family and a bunch of animals (horses, cows, chickens, goats) and will be paying for 2 mortgages for an unknown period of time, so I do not want to unnecessarily spend $800. If it is going to make a significant difference, sure, but this is not a time in my life that I want to spend money that I don't need to spend.

ETA Cllane, if I order the more expensive one, I can return with free shipping. If I order the less expensive one, I pay to ship it back if I don't like it. So not terribly helpful. If I get the LGR, don't like it and ship it back to get the Pro, then I pay the extra $800 for the Pro, plus I'm out the shipping for the LGR (probably about $200).

I'm in a similar boat to yours--I'm trying to decide if I want the TR3 Rake for my tractor or if the Rascal Pro will do. My issue is as much ease of use as cost (though cost is always a factor).

My neighbor has a TR3 that she is going to let me borrow this winter to see if I like it.

My issue is changing implements on my tractor is a pain and thus I am much less likely to take the mower off & put the rake on in the summer, and I end up mowing something pretty much every week from early May--September. That makes the ATV pullable Rascal look pretty good--since I also want to smooth the drive I didn't even consider the smaller Rascal.

Quote Originally Posted by tikidoc View Post
    ETA Cllane, if I order the more expensive one, I can return with free shipping. If I order the less expensive one, I pay to ship it back if I don't like it. So not terribly helpful. If I get the LGR, don't like it and ship it back to get the Pro, then I pay the extra $800 for the Pro, plus I'm out the shipping for the LGR (probably about $200).
    Gotcha. I was thinking you were working with a dealership locally. Didn't realize you were ordering online. Good luck!
    Jonah 4:4: And the Lord said, "Do you do well to be angry?"

College football season is HERE!!!

You might want to check out the DR Power Equipment site before purchase. Several people I know have purchased the Power Grader and are GLOATING about how easy and fun it is to use.

http://www.drpower.com/power-grader_features.aspx

The friends got it for the driveway upkeep, but now are using it for the arenas as well. They said the Power Grader did an excellent job of moving dirt from high to low places, leveling things up nicely. One got the drag screen and said it made it even better, taking the fluff out for better footing and driving surfaces.

http://www.drpower.com/twostepaccess...gr-accessories

You didn't need a big tractor to use it, still did a good job on stone driveways, all sorts of arena surface, because the depth of teeth is so easily adjustable with the remote. So far, with quite a bit of dragging work, no one had even broken a tooth. Friends like the fact that machine is complete in itself in doing the work, can be towed with any ATV or lawnmower.

Everyone always says good things about all the DR equipment, so worth checking out. The video on this grader made work look like fun, especially the dirt moving part to get things leveled out. Makes me wish I had a longer driveway, so we could at least consider having one!

I really like going thru these kind of sites, seeing machines that will work the job instead of me having to do all of it! Amazing what they keep coming up with.

Argh, goodhors, I thought I had it down to 2 options, now I am back up to 3!! That looks pretty good though, and they are having a sale, making the 48" one look pretty attractive. Anyone else have experience with the DR Power Grader?

Thanks goodhors!