The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

George Morris Auctions Trophies and Household Effects from Hunterdon

On January 11-12, 2006, Dawson and Nye Auctioneers and Appraisers will be auctioning off trophies, paintings, silver, pictures, rugs, and other household effects from the house of equestrian legend and current U.S. Show Jumping Chef d’Equipe George Morris. The auction will be held in Morris Plains, New Jersey, at the auction house of Dawson and Nye.

John Nye, President and Principal Auctioneer of Dawson and Nye Auctioneers, will offer nearly 200 items from the collection of George Morris at their Morris Plains galleries. After nearly 35 years of residency, Morris is leaving his Hunterdon County farm and will now call Wellington, Florida home. He will continue to coach the United States Equestrian Team during their international competitions.

Mr. Morris is one of the founding fathers of Hunt Seat Equitation in America. He began riding as a child and distinguished himself at a very young age, winning the ASPCA Maclay Horsemanship Finals and the AHSA Hunt Seat Equitation Medal Final at Madison Square Garden in 1952. Countless horsemen trained at Hunterdon and have continued on to achieve success in the equestrian world under Morris' tutelage.

The Morris collection will be offered in the catalogue, online, and at the auction as a single-owner sequence, meaning there will be a consecutive run of items belonging to Mr. Morris.

The sale, which has an American and English theme, includes such furniture as: a fine William and Mary oak gatelege dining table, a Georgian high chest of drawers, and a horse-decorated leather-upholstered demilune trunk. Welsh cupboards, chests of drawers, and chairs, all of which were adorned by collectable decorative objets d'art and whimsy, make up the collection as well.

There will be a selection of silver equestrian trophies and related fine art and prints. One special painting is an unsigned oil on canvas of a woodsman and his dog standing in the snow with a pipe in hand.

"The privilege of handling the collection of such a prominent equestrian," reported Nye, "is a huge opportunity for everyone interested in horses and riding. Mr. Morris is such a luminary in the field; I can't help but think how eager people will be to own something that he treasures."

The auction will be held at:

Dawson and Nye, Auctioneers and Appraisers
    128 American Road
    Morris Plains, NJ 07950
    For more information on the George Morris Auction, please contact Dawson and Nye at

http://www.dawsonandnye.com or call (973) 984-6900.

George Morris Auctions Trophies and Household Effects from Hunterdon

On January 11-12, 2006, Dawson and Nye Auctioneers and Appraisers will be auctioning off trophies, paintings, silver, pictures, rugs, and other household effects from the house of equestrian legend and current U.S. Show Jumping Chef d’Equipe George Morris. The auction will be held in Morris Plains, New Jersey, at the auction house of Dawson and Nye.

John Nye, President and Principal Auctioneer of Dawson and Nye Auctioneers, will offer nearly 200 items from the collection of George Morris at their Morris Plains galleries. After nearly 35 years of residency, Morris is leaving his Hunterdon County farm and will now call Wellington, Florida home. He will continue to coach the United States Equestrian Team during their international competitions.

Mr. Morris is one of the founding fathers of Hunt Seat Equitation in America. He began riding as a child and distinguished himself at a very young age, winning the ASPCA Maclay Horsemanship Finals and the AHSA Hunt Seat Equitation Medal Final at Madison Square Garden in 1952. Countless horsemen trained at Hunterdon and have continued on to achieve success in the equestrian world under Morris' tutelage.

The Morris collection will be offered in the catalogue, online, and at the auction as a single-owner sequence, meaning there will be a consecutive run of items belonging to Mr. Morris.

The sale, which has an American and English theme, includes such furniture as: a fine William and Mary oak gatelege dining table, a Georgian high chest of drawers, and a horse-decorated leather-upholstered demilune trunk. Welsh cupboards, chests of drawers, and chairs, all of which were adorned by collectable decorative objets d'art and whimsy, make up the collection as well.

There will be a selection of silver equestrian trophies and related fine art and prints. One special painting is an unsigned oil on canvas of a woodsman and his dog standing in the snow with a pipe in hand.

"The privilege of handling the collection of such a prominent equestrian," reported Nye, "is a huge opportunity for everyone interested in horses and riding. Mr. Morris is such a luminary in the field; I can't help but think how eager people will be to own something that he treasures."

The auction will be held at:

Dawson and Nye, Auctioneers and Appraisers
    128 American Road
    Morris Plains, NJ 07950
    For more information on the George Morris Auction, please contact Dawson and Nye at

http://www.dawsonandnye.com or call (973) 984-6900.

justgottaride Guest

Thank you for sharing this fantastic opportunity to own a true piece of equestrian history.Everyone on this board has grown up with George as one of the most memorable horseman of our time.
    I will look forward to the online catalouge of George memorabilia.
    I am sure there will be something for everyone's budget.Please be sure and spread the word.
    Thanks again,
    C

Am I missing something or has George Morris passed away?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">After nearly 35 years of residency, Morris is leaving his Hunterdon County farm and will now call Wellington, Florida home. He will continue to coach the United States Equestrian Team during their international competitions. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
    "See I hope to IMPROVE humanity as a whole and yet feel lost on this forum."

Smallfries, nope, he is alive and kicking. This is just an opportunity to own some of his "stuff". What an opportunity that is...nothing like a GM rug as a "conversation piece" in your great room! Will be interested to see how this goes, how things are priced, etc. I am sure we will all be on board, great memories for sure.
    "Say what you say, do what you do, feel what you feel, as long as it's real." Take That, Lily Allen.

Wow. GM is really "cleaning house". What an in credible opportunity to purchase a part of history. He must surely have lots and lots of items that would be considered major treasures and purchasing some of these items would be a tribute to the legacy of the one and only George Morris. Many will probably have their hand out for "donated" items but this sounds like a sale, not a philanthropic dispersal. I for one, plan on bidding on at least ONE of his beautiful trophies.

Is anyone else a little teary-eyed over this? http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...icon_frown.gif

Wow, lots of us clean house and have tag sales, but I can't imagine that the trophies he has do not hold sentimental value to him, or to any family he may have. I find it sad also, backinthesaddle.
    Save the Nauga\'s

Not to sound stupid, but why would he do this? Why not just take the stuff with him? Don't think I could part w/ my trophies, etc.

I wondered the same thing, LSM. I can understand selling certain items but the trophies would seem to have sentimental value.
    "Horses give us the wings we lack"

I hear that there are already two shows, Lake Placid and maybe the Hampton Classic looking to buy some of the trophies before the auction. I will let you if I hear anymore.

Well, the man is no youngster after all. He won the Medal Finals 53 years ago.

Not unusual at all for folks to start cleaning house when they hit a certain age plus, face it, that rich style of furniture and rugs may not suit the decor of his new place in Wellington. He may also prefer to let it go now and avoid squabbles in an estate dispersal.

I'd bet he's hanging on to those with special memories as well as gifting friends with some of the more personal items.

And good for him, pulling up stakes and making a major lifechange when many his age are curling up in front of the fire someplace.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

My mother "simplified" her life when she sold my childhood home after living there 36 years. She said "At my age, I want less to clean and less things to have to manuver around in the house." She's 73 and more active than all of her three kids put together. Cleaning out and selling a big house was her way to get back to having more time for friends and family and less time cleaning and maintaining a house. I say- more power to the older folks who are down-sizing to make their lives more active and enjoyable!

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

Does the website for Nye's show the objects up for auction?

How cool that GM is auctioning his stuff. Can you imagine the history in that house? This sport is so young in our country, yet there is such an impressive history when it comes to George and certain horse shows.

I guess I'm the only person who thinks this is tacky. Of course I wouldn't bid on Britney Spears be-jeweled bra either.

And is he doing this for charity or to raise money for himself?

Tacky???

I think it's quite common for people to auction off belongings when making a big move. I'm sure he would rather have his belongings bought by another horse enthusiast then see them thrown aside.
    ~Whether you think you can, or think you can\'t, you\'re probably right~

Other sports legends auction off their stuff, why shouldn't he? If you look at it from a historical standpoint, it's neat to carry down some of the tradition. Don't you think? Huckle?

WA. The Evergreen State Where The Horses Are Forever Green

Caroline Kennedy has auctioned off a great deal of her family's belongings for years now.
    I don't hear anyone thinking that is tacky.

For some reason, I think I saw she even sold the family home in the Kennedy Compound in Hyannis Port.