The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Conformation critique

I have posted pictures of my mare Phantasia on here before, but she was young and still in the "ugly" stage. She is now almost 5 and is starting to fill out a bit. Let me know what you think of her, my trainer has considered me breeding her and I would like to know if she is correct enough for that.

She is only about 15.1h, we would be breeding her to a pony hunter.

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o..._7516998_n.jpg

I had to get her on the other side of a fence to get a pic of her head... she would get right up close to the camera
    http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...8_909139_n.jpg
    http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o..._2837939_n.jpg
    If you don't have anything nice to say about someone, come sit by me.

She has a correct hip angle, and looks to be equal parts shoulder, back and hip. She appears to have adequate bone. Her left hock looks a bit lumpy. The photo appears as if her head is farther away from the camera than her hip, which makes me think her shoulder angle isn't as steep as it appears. Her neck also looks a bit short; it would be interesting to see different pictures of her shoulder/neck/head attachment.

She's cute!

Adorable. Like her balance. Neck looks short and high - would help if you could pose her in a true conformation pose. Hard to do when alone, so enlist a buddy to get her to stand properly and get that head down. Nice little mare, but I like to see a performance record as well a cuteness before deciding to breed. Also to see her jump form.... How is her temperament? Is she a good mover? Pretty girl!

I think when you're considering breeding, you have to decide if there's something exceptional about the individual that a lot of other horses are missing that you really want to pass on. In general: does she have outstanding conformation? Is she talented at her job? Does she have a wonderful attitude? Is she an outstanding beauty? Does she have impeccable bloodlines? If you could find what she has to offer in another horse that's already out there for not a ton of money, then it might not make sense to breed. If you can't, then maybe you should consider it.

Your mare doesn't have any glaring flaws that would make her a definite no breed candidate by any means. Overall, she's attractive and balanced. Her neck and shoulder aren't perfect (but that might just be the picture) and she has a smallish eye, but those aren't deal breakers for most people. How does she move? What's her personality like? Is she very talented? What are her bloodlines? Just based on her pictures, I wouldn't rush to breed her. However, I might change my mind if I met her in person and could assess those other qualities. So it's up to you, if that's any help, haha = )

What is her breeding, and is she papered? At 5, what can you say about her performance record in the hunter ring (if that is what you are breeding for)?Shoulder does look straight, and hard to judge based on the pose, but the picture is not the most flattering of her neck. I'm puzzled why you're posting pictures of her face as she's reaching for treats? Just about every horse can look like they have a lovely neck when properly motivated by carrots over a fence ;-) so it's not something you should use when judging.
    If it were me, I wouldn't breed her unless the pedigree and performance are both proven/excellent. She looks like a very nice and sweet horse and but a broodmare should be *outstanding*.
    Last edited by HungarianHippo; Dec. 2, 2010 at 03:39 PM. Reason: Looks like Bort and I think alike. She was lucky to hit "Post Reply" a microsecond faster :)

She was bred for the track originally. She is by Halo's Stride and out of Missy Kiri. Everyone that has seen her move says she is a nice mover very flat kneed and cute. She has a cute jump, but we haven't done too much jumping with her other then free jumping.
    Sorry this is all I have right now. I can get more later.
    Here is her pedigree: http://www.pedigreequery.com/halos+phantasia2

Here is a video of her doing a gymnastics: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqGO3...eature=related

here are some pic's of her free jumping: http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...14_8330397.jpg

http://i116.photobucket.com/albums/o...rank/phant.jpg

why does your trianer want to breed her at your expense and then if it goes tits up it another foal needing another home

your mare needs t o have a proven career

It would be at mine and her expense. As she has a stallion in mind and would be paying for the stud fee. I would be providing care, and then when older she would also provide training.

Make sure YOU like the stallion. If you wouldn't be happy with an exact replica of either parent in ALL regards it's not going to work. Based on info presented I would not breed her at this time and would spend the money on showing. I'm hoping the pedigree gurus will help you with the bloodlines.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.