The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How do you keep your feet warm?

I'm sorry, this has been done to death - but, you see, I'm from B.C. and not used to really cold weather.

What is the best way to keep feet warm and dry for a workday in very cold weather? What kind of socks work best to wick and warm?

Toasty toes foot warmer that stick to the bottom of the sock. they stay warm for 6 hours and they usually work, i did get a dud once, tho. Sometimes i wear 2 pair of good quality white socks and winter snow boots, but not to ride in, b/c the stirrups are too narrow for snow boots. If you have to work all day in it, i'd use silk sock liners under the white socks to wick away moisture. you do NOT want wet feet in the cold.

Those things never worked for me in my ski boots. They would get flat as pancakes and stop working. The trouble with the ones in my mitts was that my hands got too warm and got sweaty, then my mitts were damp and became cold. My vet was talking about the ones she uses in the winter, bigger ones I think, that you stick around or below the neck and in the small of the back. She said she stays warm all day in winter!!

There are some heated socks with batteries. Someone loaned me a pair, but I never tried them. What worked best for me though were the metallic thread socks! and then another pair of wool socks or wool blend. Also polypropylene socks worked well with wool socks. Absolutely NO cotton!

Smartwool socks, in layers. Mountain Horse tall boots for riding, Sorel Pac winter boots (rated to -25F!) for working around the barn.

I've never had those heat packs work in my boots, either - I think perhaps because if it's that cold, I wear super insulated boots and socks, so the air circulation isn't good enough to keep the chemical reaction going. I do like them in my gloves, if it's super cold (cold enough, in other words, that I don't have to worry about my hands getting TOO warm).
    Proud member of the EDRF

Quote Originally Posted by Foxtrot's View Post
    I'm sorry, this has been done to death - but, you see, I'm from B.C. and not used to really cold weather.

What is the best way to keep feet warm and dry for a workday in very cold weather? What kind of socks work best to wick and warm?
    normal pair of scoks then slippers socks over the top

and then if bad and you get cold then do a bit more work or dig a hole in the dump and go stand in it

Default cold feet

First, use a good anti-perspirant on the soles of your feet. Sweaty feet get cold ! Then a thin silk or nylon sock. The toe heaters, if you use them, attach to this sock. then add a wool blend sock. Then the insulated riding boot.

Make sure that you have enough room in your boots to wiggle your toes.

Also, take the time to dry your boots completely after every wearing. You can use the boot dryers (awesome) or put your boots upside down on a floor register.

Boot dryer.

http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/searc...c_id1=40247953

Smartwool socks!!!

the NOT!! Spoiled!! Arabian Protectavest poster pony lives on in my heart http://i118.photobucket.com/albums/o...pscc2a5330.jpg

tasia, I've got 2 pairs of smartwool socks, but neither is especially thick. Looking at all the smartwool socks on amazon.com, there are a million different kinds. Can you be more specific as to which one?

I got a pair of winter insoles (with the aluminum foil) at the dollar store. I use fuzzy side down and foil up. Wow. Never knew my feet could actually be warm.

Having enough space in your boots to comfortably wiggle your toes is really important... I have learned this the hard way, because my Middleburg fleece boots are in my normal size, so if I wear thick socks with them, they end up limiting my circulation, which makes me cold. ):

I wear an old pair of nylons under my breeches, and then Smartwool socks, and that's usually sufficient to counteract the darn tight boots... but I can't justify buying a whole new pair of boots. So I'm always looking for thin wool socks. (:

There are Cashel cozy toes things that you can attach to your stirrups, that have pockets for the hand/toe warmer pods... I have them for my western stirrups, but just to use as safety tapaderos; I'll have to try seeing if they'll work. I feel like you'd have to wear thinner riding boots and not insulated ones in order to actually feel the heat, but it might work out well if you wear warm barn boots and change into thin boots for riding.

HONESTLY waterproof boots that are insulated. I use the Mtn Horse ones (just have the paddocks as they refuse to make tall boots that fit people with chicken legs, c'mon make a slim calf already!!!) because my toes used to freeze every time. Now, my feet stay so much happier!

Muck boots, one size large. Woolrich 10 Mile socks.
    Honestly, my feet get colder under my desk than they do at the barn.

And I learned this from my college room mate who was a voice major and couldn't afford to have a cold. When you get in the house, change into dry socks. Even the amount of perspiration from regular activity will give you damp feet, and damp feeet give you a chill.
    Marriage: an on going experiment to prove there are at least two ways to do everything.

BIG ditto on spraying your feet with a strong Anti-Perspirant first. Arrid XX is my choice.

BIG ditto again on boots that are either a 1/2 size bigger than you'd normally wear or get your size in a Wide. That gives you more wiggle room for either a reflective inner sole or 2 pairs of socks.

Ditto for a third time on Electric socks.

Granted, I live in Georgia now, but grew up in NY. I got frost bite back on all 10 toes while I was in my late teens working a winter show at Thomas' on L.I. Since then, I cannot tolerate the cold on my toes
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

I have to chuckle (sorry) when I think that cold feet in GA may not be the same as cold feet in Canada or any of the Northern US states!

I have a friend who skis and only wears nylons in her boots!! I think "mentally" I would be cold
    I have big Sorel boots to muck around, walk the dog, etc. but I don't ride... I agree that wiggling toes help and I think that's why my little toe warmers never worked. Under the foot, they don't get enough air circulation.
    Last edited by FalseImpression; Dec. 2, 2010 at 12:04 PM. Reason: typo

Quote Originally Posted by FalseImpression View Post
    I have to chuckle (sorry) when I think that cold feet in GA may not be the same as cold feet in Canada or any of the Northern US states!
    Chuckles understood

Seems, tho, that many folks think that, since I'm in the south, we don't get real cold. Wellll, it was 28 this morning. To me, that's cold enough and we see teens to single digits come January/February.

By then, we freeze our Peach Fuzz off
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

yep!

antiperspirant on feet (wet feet are cold feet no matter what you use)

put boots on heater at night.

the best "wool" socks you can find. I like these, they have the most wool, and are reasonably priced (IMO)
    http://www.foxsox.com/catalog/produc...electedsize=MD

and I like my Mountain horse boots

also this year, I just ordered the toe cozy for riding
    http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=848296253

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinadreamin' View Post
    tasia, I've got 2 pairs of smartwool socks, but neither is especially thick. Looking at all the smartwool socks on amazon.com, there are a million different kinds. Can you be more specific as to which one?
    I have a medium weight hiking pair. I wore them last year when it was 19 and my feet were nice and warm I think REI has a sale on them now. The smartwool tights are great too!!

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post
    Chuckles understood

By then, we freeze our Peach Fuzz off

Dry is one key to warmth. I recently got new Bogs Classic Mid boots http://www.bogsfootwear.com/_product...EN&#39;S_BLACK for running around the farm. What a HUGE difference over the Winter "waterproof" Ariats (can't recall the model) that I typically use! No more cold, damp feet!

I wear fleece socks on cold days, or just cotton socks if my feet get too warm (yes, it is possible in these boots!).