The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Non-racing TBs?

Hello all! I've been lurking on this board for a while and finally decided to make an account and ask you guys some questions.
    I have a TB mare, she's only coming 8 now and definitely still in the prime of life, but I do plan on breeding her someday.
    I'm curious - where are all the non-racing TB stallions? does anyone stand TB stallions for hunter/jumper purposes?
    If so, I'd love links to websites, success stories, pictures, etc from people who have experience in this area.
    Thanks!

Welcome!

You might like this thread http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...d.php?t=282952

I have a 9yr old mare by Rock Point. Although he was a decent racer(won the Wood Memorial, 3rd in Preakness etc.), he went on to produce lots of good hunters. He was a much better hunter producer than he was a race producer.

My girl was bred for the hunter ring and she did well on the line as a youngster and kicked butt once she was under saddle. She was champ EVERY time out her first year doing the baby greens often sweeping the division. She went on to do well in the lows then was sold to a teen who has lots of wins with her in the childrens. She is what people mean when they say a real "10" mover and she has an ammie friendly temperment too!! She is now retired to the breeding shed and is expecting her first foal by Apiro in April. I waited over a year for her to be available and I'm so glad I got her!

Although I am focusing on the WBs now, the TBs will always be my true love and I will always have one or 2 around! To me they are the total athlete.

You might also trying doing a search on "thoroughbred stallions" as there have been a number of threads about TB stallions being used for sport horse breeding.

Also three or four years ago, another COTHer put a list together on her website listing TB stallions and what they were producing, what they were known for passing on...good and bad. I would have sworn that I had it bookmarked, but I can't find. Hopefully, either she or someone else will see this and post the link for you.

In the meantime, off the top of my head:

Sea Accounts
    Coconut Grove
    A Fine Romance
    Innkeeper
    Noble Houston
    Castle Cove
    Aaron's Gold
    Artrageous

there are also a number of "colored" TB stallions out there such as Guaranteed Gold, Billionaire ...I know there's four or five others, but my mind is blank at the moment.

If you can't find the other threads, post and I'll try to find them for you tomorrow.
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

There are also two interesting stallions at Maggie's Menagerie. Loyal Tendencies is particularly interesting.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

I stand my TB stallion Persian Star primrarily as a sport producing stallion. He started out as a race producing stallion first and formost, but, as a privately owned stallion, this was always a longshot at success. Though he has produced horses with racing talent, his mild popularity has fizzled out into unpopularity with the racing fraternnity LOL. Fortunately for him, I am a dual purpose TB affectionado. I free jumped him when I first got him off the track. His lingering racing injuries made a show career an impossibility for him, but he's got the looks requred. He jumped beautifully once he figured out what was required, so I figured he'd have a chance to produce showhorses either on purpose, or as a secondary career. This has happened, his first crop are now nine year olds, and yes, they jump well. Persian Star's lovely attitude and nature comes through, and they jump. He also has several quite nice steeplechasers present in his second dam's produce, in France. I am currently jumping his eight year old daughter locally, low hunters and jumpers, and she is a blast. I raced her for thee years first, and now she jumps. Lovely mare, practically unbeatable locally, lovely style and tons of power, will jump ANYTHING, even being as green as grass. We also have several eventing offspring, with the same sort of jump, as well as others in the show ring, some who have raced first, others who went straight to the shows instead of the track.

We don't do AI, so you have to be local to us to get a piece of this one. I do not play the "sport horse" or "warmblood" registry games either. Inspect him for yourself, and make your own decisions, if you have a mare who would compliment him well.

Thanks for all of your replies this is all really helping me.

I have another question - my mare is not registered. not with JC or any sport horse association. will that be a problem? do stallion's owners like the mares to be registered? would the foal have a chance in a registry?

Quote Originally Posted by foxhavenfarm View Post
    Also, where are you located?
    the south - specifically texas/louisiana, but traveling expenses or shipping semen would not be out of the question

Regarding registration...do you know the mare's bloodlines? If it really matters to you, it is POSSIBLE to get her registered with the JC, but it will cost a minimum of $2000 and I've heard it's a real PITA.

As for foal registration...you could get papers from PHR without your mare being registered. Or if you breed to a WB or WB-approved TB, you could most likely get a Certificate of Pedigree for the foal with the mare going into the Pre-mare book of the registry.

I would recommend finding a couple of stallions you're interested in and then contacting the owner to discuss your questions/concerns. Most of us are happy to help.

PS Here are the links that I promised earlier.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...bred+stallions

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...bred+stallions
    www.debracysporthorses.com
    Home of Sea Accounts xx
    AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
    "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

our TB is sadly deceased. We have his APHA son that is 3/4 TB.

aside from the ones above..
    Roanoke (midwest: race sire also has a lot of SH offspring)
    Harry The Hat (PA: same: race and sport)
    Sir Juli Go (PA: race and sport)
    Bright WHite (CA: unraced)
    colored stallions at Blazing Colours, Norsire, Shadow Mountain,WIndspirits
    Triple Twist
    Canadian Kid

Quote Originally Posted by cyriz's mom View Post
    Regarding registration...do you know the mare's bloodlines? If it really matters to you, it is POSSIBLE to get her registered with the JC, but it will cost a minimum of $2000 and I've heard it's a real PITA.
    no, i do not know her bloodlines. she came to me as a total fluke from an old trainer of mine, we knew practically nothing about her at the time.

I am trying to think of the registries that will inspect and approve her based on NO bloodline history and proof at all??? I think only AWR and AWS will, and then you also have the option of getting a Proof of Pedigree from PHR (Performance Horse Registry) if you breed her to a TB stallion and the resultant foal is 1/2 TB. That would show his bloodlines and "unknown" for the dam line

We stand Guaranteed Gold - a 16.1hh cremello TB stallion so you'd get a dilute colour for your foal if that is of interest to you

www.angelfire.com/on3/TrueColoursFarm/GG.html

The other possible option is our other stalion - Winner - who is a 17.1hh HZ grey Polish WB stallion and is 54% TB in his lineage. He is Gold Premium with the CSHA (Canadian Sport Horse) and that foal would get Half Bred CSHA papers - again - as a Proof of Pedigree only through the sire line

He can be seen at:

http://www.angelfire.com/on3/TrueCol...rm/Winner.html

I am not sure what other registries also offer "Half" papers if the mare isnt inspected / approved - maybe someone else can chime in and let us know. That would then open up a few other breed options to you as well

any of the WB registries (AWR, RPSI, Old/ISR etc) will inspect the mare. For any of them the foal will just not get main papers/will get a COP for the sire side and and damside will of course read unknown. With Arabs you could get half Arab papers since the Arab registry only cares about the half that is Arabian.

Registration for sport discipline bred horses are not important. They are not necessary to compete.

Quote Originally Posted by NancyM View Post
    Registration for sport discipline bred horses are not important. They are not necessary to compete.
    true but it IS generally easier to sell a foal with papers/proof of pedigree (sire) and for people that want to compete at breed shows for year end awards.

Do you want a hunter or a jumper? What are your mare's strengths? What are her weaknesses?

Generally speaking, I like AFR, Coconut Grove, and Castle Cove. I haven't seen any Triple Twist babies but would be very tempted if I wanted a jumper and had the right mare -- love the Bonne Nuit lines.

Quote Originally Posted by everafterfarm View Post
    I have a 9yr old mare by Rock Point. Although he was a decent racer(won the Wood Memorial, 3rd in Preakness etc.), he went on to produce lots of good hunters. He was a much better hunter producer than he was a race producer.

My girl was bred for the hunter ring and she did well on the line as a youngster and kicked butt once she was under saddle. She was champ EVERY time out her first year doing the baby greens often sweeping the division. She went on to do well in the lows then was sold to a teen who has lots of wins with her in the childrens. She is what people mean when they say a real "10" mover and she has an ammie friendly temperment too!! She is now retired to the breeding shed and is expecting her first foal by Apiro in April. I waited over a year for her to be available and I'm so glad I got her!

Although I am focusing on the WBs now, the TBs will always be my true love and I will always have one or 2 around! To me they are the total athlete.

Salute the Truth - FAVORITE

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    Do you want a hunter or a jumper? What are your mare's strengths? What are her weaknesses?
    she's a jumper, so she has that "jumper-y" ride. she's very sweet on the ground. conformation wise, she's built slightly downhill. you can't tell u/s but she's built very butt-high and has sort of a longer body than I usually like.
    other than that I can't really think of anything I'd like to improve with a stallion

ETA: it wouldn't matter to me what the foal came out as. hunter or jumper, wouldn't matter.

Quote Originally Posted by camohn View Post
    true but it IS generally easier to sell a foal with papers/proof of pedigree (sire) and for people that want to compete at breed shows for year end awards.
    the foal wouldn't be competing at any breed shows, just local A/AA shows. I'm not too concerned with registering the foal in any breed organizations necessarily, I was just curious whether it was impossible without knowing my mares lines.

thank you guys so much - keep the advice coming!