The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Blanket fitting-tight, loose or just right?

Hi All, I have an arab who loves his weatherbeeta orican raincoat. Usually I buckle the chest straps kinda loose, which gives him more grazing freedom but also means the blanket rests back a bit further. BO buckles the chest straps tighter so the blankie stays up on his withers more. Seems to sit tight with potential rubs right at the top of the withers this way, but does stay "in place." BTW horse does have kinda high withers. Anyone else have this fit dilemma? 6 one, 1/2 doz other. What is "just right" here? Maybe there isn't a just right with this style?

I have a Weatherbeeta Orican raincoat that is the "freestyle." I'm using it but I don't like the way the front is fitted. My guy is very narrow in front, and this is the only sheet I've had that will rub and the gussets are very small and fall on a seam that is fitted around the chest for a horse that is wider. Also he has high withers, but the high neck of the sheet seems to be okay.

This is the only Weatherbeeta I've had that I don't like.

i have a narrow chested high withered horse and the weatherbeeta orican freestyle were the first sheets that fit her well enough around the chest not to let water seep in.
    if she wears them long enough, she'll get rubs from them but that's the case with any sheets i've had so no real difference there.

i don't have an answer as to how tight. i think i recall the weatherbeeta rep telling me no more than 3rd hole but how could that be a set rule?
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

I have 2 high withered horses. One is a very small narrow chested 16.2 TB. The weatherbeetas, even the new freestyle with wither pad didnt fit him. They however did fit my other horse, whos 16h Appendix.

I've found that Rambo, Rhino's and Centuars with the high necks fit the best for the narrow and high withered boys. They tend to move with the horse and dont put as much stress on the withers and I've never had shoulder rubs with any of them.

i never tried centaurs, but rambos and rhinos are cut so deep they reach down past my mare's hocks!!! i would love to use them but it just doesn't look right...

Quote Originally Posted by marta View Post
    i never tried centaurs, but rambos and rhinos are cut so deep they reach down past my mare's hocks!!! i would love to use them but it just doesn't look right...
    I actually like the drop on them. It comes just to their hocks if not a little above them. I tend to have big barreled boys so the longer on the sides the better. I have no luck with Weatherbeetas, they tend to look like mini skirts.

Default bridgetc78

my mare's a 15 hand shorty (15 hands only b/c of the prominent wither). not a particularly large barrel. she looked in her wug like she was wearing a wedding gown

Quote Originally Posted by BridgetC78 View Post
    I have 2 high withered horses. One is a very small narrow chested 16.2 TB. The weatherbeetas, even the new freestyle with wither pad didnt fit him. They however did fit my other horse, whos 16h Appendix.

I've found that Rambo, Rhino's and Centuars with the high necks fit the best for the narrow and high withered boys. They tend to move with the horse and dont put as much stress on the withers and I've never had shoulder rubs with any of them.
    agreed. I have a narrow-chested, high-withered arab, and the rhinos with the high neck fit him the best. Everything else I tried either rubbed his chest and put pressure on his withers (schneiders, weatherbeeta and a few others), or got his chest and shoulders all wet when it rained (dover hug). The rhino comes down about 2/3 of the way to his knees/hocks - it doesn't interfere with his movement at all but gives good coverage.
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

Quote Originally Posted by marta View Post
    I think the Rhinos are not cut as deep as the Rambos and Amigo's. I have a 15.1 shorty who can't wear a deep cut blanket, but his Rhino fits hem perfectly. My other big barrelled horse does better in the Rambo. The Rhino barely covers his girth.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/