The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default As Di Villagana?

I have seen him for $500/dose and for $5000. I am confused. Is the $500 an old ad still floating out there...wish people would date things on the internet. Or is it 10 doses needed for insemination...doesn't sound right.

What kind of mares do best to him. I have that Capitol lookalike Irish Draught mare...17.1 hands. When I asked before he was suggested and as I read The Modern Warmblood book...I am getting convinced too. Interested on experience with offspring too. Thanks PatO

Not knowing your mare but it's a good idea to cross him with a mare that has a big frame and brings some size. I love As di. I think selling him was one of the biggest mistakes made in this country jumpger breeding-wise in a long time *sigh*
    Sorry I can't shed light on the pricing situation but 5K a dose doesn't sound right. Why don't you contact the owner or semen distributor?

Love him

Both semen prices are correct I believe. You can buy by the dose from Celle through Superior Equine Sires for $500 or his owner stands him for $5000 here in the states. You would need to contact his owners for details, but I think that is for multiple doses should you need them.

His semen is excellent. IME, 2 doses = 2 foals. I agree about him not adding much size, mine are yearlings and look to mature around 16-16.1hh Pretty, athletic foals with great temperaments

I have a weanling (5-31-10) by As di Villagana out of a Hanoverian-approved TB mare who is herself about 16.1. My colt is lovely. I actually made my interest in him known to his breeder before he was even born, and I bought him when he was about 1 month old. Currently he is 13.2 and about 2 inches taller at withers than the Redwine filly I own who was born 5-1. I think he will finish at 16.1 or 16.2. He can be seen on my Facebook page under my name. As di Valentia's semen came through SBS from Celle. Laura Linbeck is the current owner of As di Villagana, but semen is still available through dealers in the U.S. from Celle, I think.

I can shed some light here...

Yes, as tuckaway says, both prices are correct.

The SES price is based on frozen semen obtained from the German Celle, as long as the supply lasts. It is extremely viable; not that we were trying to conserve the semen, but we wound up with a dose left over; two doses are normally needed to ensure conception; we chose to use just one because our vet felt she'd gotten an optimum insemination. So I have another dose to use (I will probably augment it by ordering a single dose when the time comes for us to breed again).

The 5K price is that advertised by the current owner, also for frozen; the owner (Woodrun Farm) would have to be asked what the motivation behind the price is--when he was first sold, I had the impression she wanted to compete him, not breed so much, except to her own mares, but I could be off base on that.

What it boils down to is that ADV is not so much less available than mare owners might want him to be, but that he is not so well promoted by his own connections. Nonetheless, he has produced nice offspring (many of which remained in Europe), all of which seem to be able to jump. He brings many desireable qualities to the table, including temperament, intelligence, conformation, jumping ability and the bloodlines of his very influential sire, Acord II by Ahorn Z (Almé Z).

I was told that he needs to be put to a big mare to produce a big horse...my mare isn't all that tall, measuring just under 15.3--but she is a very substantial mare (as you can see by Diane's estimation of her height) and was deemed 'big enough' for As Di by those in the know, so I tried it. Diane's colt (As Di Valentia) so far has been noticeably bigger at each stage of his growth than his full sister (As Di Ani Z), who at 2 1/2 is only very slightly smaller than her dam right now.

[I think the issue of size is somewhat overrated in any case--especially after spending 2 weeks as a jumper steward at WEG, and seeing no correlation between being "super sized" and success there, with many 'normal' sized horses throughout the competition and three little horses winding up in the final four. That's another issue, though.]

I haven't seen any other TB crosses than mine, but mine are very nice looking-I think the addition of the TB "blood" is a very positive contribution, and when I breed Ani (as I plan to do this coming year for a 2012 foal) I will add even more blood, and since she already has enough small genes, I will seek to trend toward some taller ones.

Of course, Diane and I are hoping that Valentia will earn himself the right to be considered stallion material himself...my mare brings her own credentials to the mix with very desirable bloodlines (Buckpasser and Boran); this makes the pedigree of both Ani and Valentia quite interesting in its similarities to the French stallion, Jaguar Mail (http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/jaguar+mail), who is still out there adding to his credntials in both performance (Bejing Olympics) and offspring.
    Last edited by M. O'Connor; Dec. 1, 2010 at 04:16 PM.

The colt bred by Marie O'Connor is very lovely - and very leggy. Not lacking in height at all.
    Roseknoll Sporthorses
    www.roseknoll.net

I think I saw offspring of his at every barn I went to in Germany. The Holst Verband, Oldenburg, Celle, PSs (I could be mistaking this barn though - but he has so many horses at that farm!), and a couple of the smaller barns. They were all small. Very attractive heads, shorter backed, and catty. I saw one work who was in the Oldenburg Auction, he was leggy & typey, but small. Looked like a pleasure to ride though. I thought it was interesting to see so many throughout Europe, and also thought he bred along the lines of the Abke's. You could pick them out of a crowd with the big eye, similar neck, and overall type.

November Hill Farm in Keswick brought a very tall As di colt to Upperville who won the foal's class. I saw him later at the Hilton Farm Hanoverian inspection. He's a beautiful colt, older than mine, and I think he'll be quite tall as his dam is tall. He does have the big almond-shaped eye, is bay with chrome, and full of himself!

Gail Dady has one bay that Pato Muente bred from a small TB mare and this gelded colt is very small, but still the big eye and cattiness. Very friendly, as mine is, and also full of himself!

I seriously contemplated trying to load Valentia into the back of my Jeep, but (un)fortunately Mary did not leave me alone with him long enough...he is well-built and social and fortunate to have a lovely owner like Diane.

But I digress...if you google As Di (and use a number of spellings) you'll find a number of videos, many on You Tube - based on that un-scientific sample, he does seem to throw his jump quite reliably.

Really nice digression! Thank you. I think that Camille will have another date with As di Villagana before too long! I might have to wait in line for that one, too!

Is it true and he is back in Germany ?
    I am not responsible for spelling misstacks - just my PC
    www.hannoveranerzuechter.de
    Filly Londontime - Sandro Hit - Rouletto
    http://youtu.be/1O23BeiKpkY

I tried to purchase some frozen semen last year. I was told that the Celle had run out of it. I would think the Celle would want to save some for themselves but anyway I was unable to purchase any. I don't remember the price from the US owner but it was $$$$.
    It's not true that I had nothing on. I had the radio on.”
    ? Marilyn Monroe

The Canadian Hanoverian Society is offering Celle now (with 25% discount to clubmembers) and we had to remove As de Valligna from the price list, as Celle no longer has frozen left --- at least not for North America,

Quote Originally Posted by alexandra View Post
    Is it true and he is back in Germany ?
    yes, pato has him again, which is pretty cool. retired to stud there now.

Quote Originally Posted by ne1 View Post
    Do you know if he will be frozen for NA?

Quote Originally Posted by ne1 View Post
    That is cool. He and Pato were fun to watch!

That is rather cool, as I know that quite a few people said it would be great if Celle could re-import him.
    I am not responsible for spelling misstacks - just my PC
    www.hannoveranerzuechter.de
    Filly Londontime - Sandro Hit - Rouletto
    http://youtu.be/1O23BeiKpkY

That's super. Hope he has a long and happy retirement. Also hoping he will be frozen for NA again and priced more reasonably again like before. $5000/dose for frozen is yet another prime example of competition stallion owners in the US being out of touch with the realities of the market.
    Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice; it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved. - William Jennings Bryan

http://www.halcyon-hill.com

3 members found this post helpful.

Acord II is the culprit i.e. the smaller size. He could make them small quite often.

My friend Mike Boyd bred an Accord II filly. I fell in love with her, seeing at her foal inspection. As a yearling, she was not much bigger than a weanling. She finished about 15.2. Pretty, and a good mover --- and boy, could she jump! She was Reserve Champion of the 3 year old Free-Jumping competition (All-Breeds) in Canada, and did at least as well as a 4 year old if I recall.