The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default BEST Wash Machine for getting my farm and horsey clothes clean? UPDATE #23

What sort of washer do you have to get your farm and horsey clothes (barn jackets, coats, horse slobber covered shirts, etc.) clean?

Just returned this GE piece of carp W/D efficiency top load THANG that I got from Home Depot. Had to wash many, many loads 2x, or 3x, and my clothes were still not clean! It was so efficient, it just didn't work. Turns out Home Depot just had a 2 week long sale on W/D's, and they over sold their merchandise. Depending upon the model, they are not able to deliever any W/D's until sometime in January or February!

I was really wanting an LG Wave top load, but I don't know that I can wait until February to have a washer again.

HELP! Can anyone recommend a good W/D?
    Last edited by Fantastic; Dec. 13, 2010 at 11:33 PM.

Well, I have always had good luck with Sears brand washers. I get the model with the biggest tub, a Fast/Fast setting for washing the loads. Usually the mid-range model in cost. I just don't use all those other wash cycles, why pay for them? I also like the top loader, you can add clothes as found, stop the cycle anywhere and restart. History of less repairs than front loaders.

Something to consider, is how do you pack the machine for a load? I almost always use the full setting, only load heavy things like jeans, jackets, about half full. No packing the tub full to save a load. Water has to swish thru the fabric, around the clothing A LOT, to remove dirt. If you pack the tub full, water just can't move freely around the wash load, so it DOES not get clean, even washing twice. Better to have two half loaded tubs, do the complete cycle, items washed come out clean.

Water saving is great with city living, people and clothing don't seem to get as dirty. With real dirt accumulated in farm living, you need LOTS of water to get clothing actually CLEAN! Again, I run mostly full tubs for each load. I saw that commercial where they cram in 20? towels to wash, and they fit. I wondered if they were really dirty or just towels they wetted and dried to prove they fit. I would like to give them some REALLY dirty things, see how cramming them in, worked with getting clean results! More than 4 pairs of Levis in a load, does NOT come clean here. Those Levis are worn one day, then washed.

Pre-treating farm clothing dirt, horse blanket spots with some spray cleaner, stain remover, let sit for a little to work, then wash. For me, that seems to remove even awful dirt stains from farm clothes, horse clothes. Grease, oil, mechanical stains are harder to remove.

My Sears washers have been great machines over the years of hard laundry. Seem to run about $400 now. I have had several since putting in the laundry room. They run at least one load a day, often lots more loads. I have done INCREDIBLE things in the washer, from horse blankets in XL, to synthetic harness, the Carhartts of the whole family sometimes weekly! Can't stand seeing things filthy, which seems to happen easily with working folks and children, working horses.

All the Washer Repair folks we know, say most washers last about 5 years, this is all variety of brands. Some individual machines last much longer, others don't for various reasons that have nothing to do with brand name of maker. BAD owner! Mine last about 9 years, with a couple cheaper repairs along the way. I don't do pockets, clothing owner is supposed to empty them when disrobing!! Finding a nail in the machine so it cannot spin, is NOT the machine's fault!

I have been real happy with Sears, even if they do wear out. We replace when the repair cost would be more than half the price of a new machine. Love those big tubs.

I have a GE profile that is going on 10 years old. I've been looking at the new electrolux front loaders. They are supposed to be energy efficient and huge. They've gotten very good reviews, but after reading how most people here don't like FL washers, I don't know. My GE is starting to look better.

The Maytag front loader commercial washer with a stainless steel drum. Best feature to me is you can adjust the spin speed on any cycle, even has a no spin option.

This thing is great, wish I had gotten one several years ago. Everything is cleaner and fresher with no change in laundry products.

Does a great job on the horse sheets and blankets. I used one capful of Sportwash (in the hunting section at Walmart) on the delicate cycle with low spin and then run them again on delicate with just water. Some of the sheets look brand new again.

And get a container of Smelly Washer powder to clean the front loader with monthly, works great. http://smellywasher.com/
    Last edited by Night of Songs; Dec. 1, 2010 at 05:58 PM. Reason: added link
    Freaky Farm Hermit Clique

Thanks guys! I have been researching diligently, and it seems that every good model has a lemon or two that somehow passes through quality control. Some more than others.

Yeah, I am only looking at a top load. My little sister has a FL, and she has Smelly Washer on a regular basis! I think she keeps cleaning the rubber rim and that helps. Gave her the link to cure Smelly Washer.

I have a few questions:

goodhors - Do you mean the Kenmore brand? My old one was a Kenmore from Sears. It was 8 yrs old. The only reason that I got rid of it was because the top of the dryer was overheating, to the point of me worrying about fire.

Night of Songs - I see that you have a Maytag FL. Even though I am primarily looking for a TL, what model Maytag FL do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Fantastic View Post
    Yeah, I am only looking at a top load. My little sister has a FL, and she has Smelly Washer on a regular basis! I think she keeps cleaning the rubber rim and that helps. Gave her the link to cure Smelly Washer....

Night of Songs - I see that you have a Maytag FL. Even though I am primarily looking for a TL, what model Maytag FL do you have?
    Hope the SW will help your sister's machine.

We got the Series 4000 Maytag, Lowes has it.

Our old GE dryer was going and we decided to replace the set. Went in looking at TL and came out with the FL. Had heard all the stories about the FL mold et al problems, but found out by using SW and making sure to keep the door ajar so the washer dries out entirely, you can avoid all that. Took the leap to FL and have been very impressed with the Maytag. We looked at the Electrolux FL as well, but we like the stainless steel drum and overall construction on the Maytag better.

It also has a sanitizing cycle I use for the dog towels (which I run after washing any horse blankets). Think that cycle probably helps with keeping the drum clean and fresh if it is used regularly as well.

Best of luck!
    Freaky Farm Hermit Clique

I have a Whirlpool Cabrio top load, high capacity, no agitator, and it is awesome. Does a fantastic job on everything from clothes to horse blankets. It is HUGE....can fit any horse blanket or comforter no problem. Mine has been through a almost two years of heavy use and has performed flawlessly.

I am not exactly sure what washer I have at home but it has a 15 minute and a 30 minute soak cycle. The soak cycle is a GREAT feature.
    The washer fills, swishes things a bit and sits. During the soak cycle it does a couple more little swish things before running through a regular cycle.
    I got the washer from Home Depot 8 years ago and it is still going strong. I will try to remember to look tonight to see what brand/model it is.
    It is big enough that I can wash a size 80/81 medium weight standard neck turn-out and get it reasonably clean. Heavy weights, high neck and mid necks are too big to turn so don't clean well.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Quote Originally Posted by flypony74 View Post
    I have a Whirlpool Cabrio top load, high capacity, no agitator, and it is awesome. Does a fantastic job on everything from clothes to horse blankets. It is HUGE....can fit any horse blanket or comforter no problem. Mine has been through a almost two years of heavy use and has performed flawlessly.
    I've looked into these. Saw some reviews about how they tie jeans into knots. Is it true?

For what it is worth, I gave the Cabrio topload away. I used it for 6 months and was so tired of finding all the sand and dirt in the creases of my clothes after washing. I wont even look at or consider a TL without an agitator again. I got the LG FL, i love its space but there are sure things I dont like about it. I will invent the perfect washer for horsey folks.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

What sort of washer do you have to get your farm and horsey clothes (barn jackets, coats, horse slobber covered shirts, etc.) clean?

Just returned this GE piece of carp W/D efficiency top load THANG that I got from Home Depot. Had to wash many, many loads 2x, or 3x, and my clothes were still not clean! It was so efficient, it just didn't work. Turns out Home Depot just had a 2 week long sale on W/D's, and they over sold their merchandise. Depending upon the model, they are not able to deliever any W/D's until sometime in January or February!

I was really wanting an LG Wave top load, but I don't know that I can wait until February to have a washer again.

HELP! Can anyone recommend a good W/D?

Hmm - any name-brand large-capacity front-load washer *should* do an excellent job of washing grubby clobber.

Just talking from experience - was it definitely plumbed in properly?

We bought a washer earlier this year and paid to have it delivered and hooked-up, which is clearly a euphemism as far as that store's delivery dunces for "shove it in the corner and plug it in - that'll do 'er."

The hot was hooked up to the cold (instant boiled wool sweaters for midgets ) and the cold to the hot, and neither was turned on full.

A quick fix from the friendly neighbourhood plumber *fixed* all the problems JUST before I was about to return the blasted machine to the shop.

Hey Romany - How do you get the quote to include the author?

Hmm - any name-brand large-capacity front-load washer *should* do an excellent job of washing grubby clobber.
    Yes, "should" is the opperative word! If only it was that easy! All brands are not created equal, all models are not created equal, and then there are those lemon individuals within the group. I have read tons of online reviews. You'd be surprised at how you'll get people who love a model and give it a "5", and then the next review down has a lemon and gives it a "1".

Yes, the GE machine was plumbed properly. The delivery crew set it up, plus I know about plumbing. It was very quiet, agitatorless, but it barely moved the water around. Anyway - good ridance piece of carp GE!! (stoopid me should have read the reviews prior to the purchase - it received a 3.2 out of 5 on the HD website).

Yes, my top loader carries the Kenmore name, is marked Heavy Duty, Super Capacity Plus, printed on the knob panel. Sure doesn't owe us anything, but still working faithfully every day. Way outlasted the averages. Wonder if it like an elderly school horse, gimpy, but stays sounder, longer with daily work? Ha Ha!!

That top loader with no agitator sounds very interesting! Hadn't heard of it before. Though obviously it doesn't perform as expected for everyone, Flypony likes it! I will have to check it out some more, in case it is something I would like when this Sears model finally dies of overwork.

None of the washer repairmen we know will recommend a Front Loader. All the brands have problems, with MANY more repair calls than the top loaders around here. And not even all the SAME problems, seems to be quite a variety of issues to be fixed.

Hey Romany - How do you get the quote to include the author?
    Er....by clicking on the little "Quote" button?

And...I hadn't read your original OP closely enough, for all I quoted it - sorry! I'd blithely assumed you were talking about a front-load washer, not one of those agitator-less top-loaders...

When we bought our little (little because the door is only 24" wide ) front-load washer, the idiot salesman tried very hard to sell us what you just ditched, the agitator-less top-loader: his sales pitch was so good I only declined when I remembered the small doorway problem.

I subsequently spoke to an older wiser Sears salesman about them, merely in passing when discussing the much more exciting ovens, and he said they really weren't living up to the pitch; ie, too many buyers were telling him they were every bit as miserable at washing as you described.

And may I deeply apologize for intimating that your plumbing skills may be lacking.

Another one with the Whirlpool Cabrio top loader here, and I LOVE it. I've had NO problems with it not thoroughly cleaning my clothes or leaving sand / dirt behind -- and I've put some REALLY dirty clothes in there at.

My only complaint about it is that the wash cycles seem pretty long -- longer than a non-HE washer, anyway. I've never had a front-loader, so can't compare to that.

I regularly use it for horse laundry. I periodically run the clean washer cycle with a cup of bleach, and the washer has stayed very nice. It also has a huge capacity, and I am able to launder even heavyweight

Front load Whirlpool Duet. It does barn clothes and heavy weight winter horse blankets beautifully. Mine has to be at least 5-7 yrs old and I've never had a problem. Oh and I do bed sheets and bathroom towels and underwear but generally NOT after one of the horse blanket loads. There's always a rinse and spin cycle after horse blankets and barn towels.
    Sue
    Back in my day, we didn't have as many warning labels because people weren't so dang stupid!

There's a good reason why the Maytag repairman is lonely.

Quote Originally Posted by cloudyandcallie View Post
    There's a good reason why the Maytag repairman is lonely.
    He has the best advertising agency?

My Whirlpool Duet was a piece of crap...ditched it after very few uses and a fried computer board for a Bosch...love it!!

The first thing I thought was "someone elses", then I thought "Mother in laws"... Guess I should call and find out when they are going out of town. Just kidding... sort of.
    "Shoot low Sheriff! She rides a fast pony!"