The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default BT Crump anyone?

I just bought a "new" old BT Crump saddle, rode in it yesterday and LOVED it. My school's coach said they went out of business in the 80s, but that is all I know about this brand. Anyone have one, know anything about them, or can point me in the right direction?
    Thanks.

I think they are still around. I know I just saw a Crump bridle.

I have a BT Crump "all-purpose with dressage tendency" saddle from the mid-80's. I love that saddle. I never use it, but I can't part with it because it's so comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by sycamoreshowmom View Post
    I think they are still around. I know I just saw a Crump bridle.
    The name is still around but it's not the same stuff. The old Crump stuff was its own company and was very well made, on par with Crosby and Stubben. Since then, the name has been purchased by Chetak. The newer Crump stuff is very low end, on par with Kincade.

Back in the day, I had a Crump cutback (saddle seat) saddle. It was Da Bomb! The quality back then was amazing.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

The real BT Crump was located in Richmond, VA on Main St. downtown. The made quality tack from real English leather. The did close up shop in the early 80's. Their old warehouse caught fire about a decade or so later, so I think all the remnants are gone now.

The BT Crump crap you see today is a rather disgusting imitation of the real deal. Sorry, but having known the real stuff, I can't even stand to look at it. Maybe it's okay, but it's not THE BT Crump stuff.

SCFarm
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com

Thanks. I could tell the difference in the quality just by looking at the photos online of the new stuff.

EBAY ad link... haven't had time to take any quality photos, but it looks the same

Older one I'm guessing? Is there any way to find out the year it was made?

I have a BT Crump Prix de Saute that I bought new in 1992. I don't know if that's considered 'old' or 'new', but the leather is buttery soft. I love that saddle. Unfortunately, my TB doesn't. The channel was to narrow for him and caused major back soreness It gets conditioned regularly but just sits on the saddle rack. Thinking it may be time to get rid of it

I had a BT Crump Prix de Saute as well and I loved it! So pretty and balanced.

Unfortunately, it was too narrow for my big, wide, WB mare. She let me know. :-/ Hope you love yours! I did.

I had an 80's Prix de Saute back in the day (80's) too. Loved that saddle but I'm sure I couldn't ride in one now- my old bones need more cushion! They were the equivalent of a Crosby Prix de Nations back then-- really two of the best saddles money could buy at the time.

I bought mine lightly used, rode in it for 10+ years and sold it for what I paid for it.

Default Any idea on value?

Timely post....

I have a BT Crump cutback I bought 15 years ago. This saddle is MINT. Seriously it is barely broken in and amazing quality, right down to the stitching. No idea what it is worth and no use for it anymore. I am actually taking it consign soon, but would love to know what to expect. It also says "Crest" on the BT Crump plate.

Any idea what it is worth?
    Gone gaited....

B.T. Crump was one of the best saddles one could buy back "In the Day". They were very well made from the best of leathers. To repair them and recondition them is a good idea. It is as said" They just don't make them like they used to".
    I know of one that is 35 years old and is still solid as the day it was purchased.
    New billets and reflocking and new fluff in the knee pads and it is good to go. Another 35 years.
    You can't go wrong with one of those vintage saddles.
    I agree with the above post that they are not the same company as they were. They only carry the low end stuff now.
    Too bad. They were one of the great saddleries.
    JMHO
    sadlmakr

I loved my prix de saute too- Its still in such amazing shape, too bad every horse I've ridden in it since youth has bucked me off! Damned narrow trees from the 80's/early 90's just don't fit modern wide-backed horses. I'm thinking of selling mine too- hoping to get around $300 for it- its a shame its not worth more, but nobody rides in a plain-flap narrow tree anymore.

Mr. Wings gifted me with a nice one a couple of years ago but it didn't fit the horse so I stuck with the saddle I'd been using.

It's still sitting in our tack room, looking for someone to love it.
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

I had a nice flat Crump PDS made right before the brand was sold off, it was made in England per the saddle plate. My previous trainer loved a flat saddle and advised me to get it. It was well-made but not as nice as the older ones, the stitching was starting to wear not long after I bought it.

I discovered I have more knee pain with the flat saddles so I sold it.
    "Horses give us the wings we lack"