The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rath and Totilas - Photo

Nice pairing judging from this photo.

Next up - new freestyle!

http://www.tidningenridsport.se/Arti...45207&a=540385
    "No matter how well you perform there's always somebody of intelligent opinion who thinks it's lousy." - Laurence Olivier

I may be getting old, but that guy looks to be about 12 years old.

I read somewhere that Gal had to work hard to get Toto to NOT fling his front legs so high, and to remain parallel..... which I believe is more correct?? At Weg, he was more parallel (except in the freestyle where he let it all out).

So that's something for Rath to work on (maybe he can ask Gal)?

L

Quote Originally Posted by Go Fish View Post
    I may be getting old, but that guy looks to be about 12 years old.
    I'm 30, and I think he looks like a baby. Which isn't to say I'd not say yes were he to suggest dinner...but hey...jus' sayin'...

I suspect that even at my ahem...old age...I'm too old for him.
    I am not allowed to look at breeding stock.
    Or babies. Or CANTER, et al.

ESPECIALLY not CANTER, et al.

I think I read somewhere he was either 24 or 26. I am only a couple years older then him, but he is awfully babyfaced.

I'm pretty sure he's 26. He's only two years younger than I am yet he looks like he could be my baby brother! He's a cutie though, and I have to admit when I watched the video of Toto and Rath I was SUPER impressed! They really do look fantastic together. I'll be cheering for them.

1 members found this post helpful.

Maybe it's just me, but I got a chuckle out of the picture caption. "Matthias Alexander Rath, Totilas, Paul Schockemöhle, and Ann-Kathrin Linsenhoff".... Like, really, so glad Toto was captioned and pointed out, otherwise I never would have guessed which one was him.

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Quote Originally Posted by lorilu View Post
    I read somewhere that Gal had to work hard to get Toto to NOT fling his front legs so high, and to remain parallel..... which I believe is more correct?? At Weg, he was more parallel (except in the freestyle where he let it all out).

So that's something for Rath to work on (maybe he can ask Gal)?

L
    Unless there's another picture/video I missed, I'm not sure I'd call that pic "flinging." His legs are mostly parallel, and if anything, his hind is a bit ahead, which is the opposite of what he'll often do when flinging (he sometimes looks like his hind end gets left behind).

I think it's mostly an awkwardly timed shot though.

The main thing I noticed is that Rath appears to be riding a bit carefully, but who can blame him? He did just get the ride, after all. Totilas looks maybe a touch more on the bit than usual, which makes his already short neck look just a tad thicker.

But overall, what can you really say from one pic?

I wish them both the best since I love seeing this horse in the ring. What I wouldn't give to have that opportunity, my goodness.

It's the extreme height of his front forearm, parallel to the ground, compared to his hind leg. This is what so many found fault with in his gaits - extravegant, but not correct.
    At weg, we saw this, but it was toned down some of the time.

I like how open his throatlatch is....
    (Thinking back to some of the posts I read after weg...)

L

Matthias Alexander Rath, from his webpage:

Date of birth: 2 August 1984 in Lübeck, Germany

Just turned 26.

Edward Gal, from wikipedia, born March 4, 1970 in Rheden.

So, he's 14 years older than Rath, but then according to wiki he started his "equestrian career" at 14, whereas Rath started at 5. So maybe they kinda even out?

Quote Originally Posted by lorilu View Post
    It's the extreme height of his front forearm, parallel to the ground, compared to his hind leg. This is what so many found fault with in his gaits - extravegant, but not correct.
    At weg, we saw this, but it was toned down some of the time.

I like how open his throatlatch is....
    (Thinking back to some of the posts I read after weg...)

L
    A good bit of the commentary I've read about his "flinging" discusses the fact that his cannons are not always parallel - his hind is often behind compared to his front.

Certainly some don't like the extreme height of his front end movement, but most of the complaints I've heard measured the disconnect by how far ahead his front cannon was compared to his hind (measured by how parallel or not the cannons are) - not how high his forearm was. Granted, many feel the disconnect is caused by the extreme height, but they generally measured the cannon discrepency, not the forearm.

In this picture, strictly measuring the angle of the cannons to the ground, the front is not ahead of the hind, which is what most have critiqued in the past in terms of "flinging," so that's why I commented on it = ) I realize others also dislike his very high front end action - but I don't think that's going anywhere.

Also, in the recently posted video, there isn't a lot of flinging, though I think Rath was riding pretty carefully and conservatively for that showing.

Default Rath and Toto

It would not be possible for his rear to match his front without kicking himself in the belly.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Raphaelo Rollkurista View Post
    It would not be possible for his rear to match his front without kicking himself in the belly.
    If you're talking about his forearm, then yes = ) Which I guess was my very long winded point, haha.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Raphaelo Rollkurista View Post
    Ditto. I don't get the argument that an extravagant front end necessarily indicates a lagging backend. Their is far more mobility in the shoulder then in the hip, and there's no belly in the way! Toto is stepping nicely in the hind in this pic.

If we expected all horses to have EXACTLY the same movement in front and back, we'd be seeing either really flat movers (with no knee action, to match the back end) or horses with crazy hock action kicking themselves every stride. The whole configuration of the front and back legs are different--they cannot match exactly!!

I do agree that the hind end needs to be engaged, but I don't think looking for "matching" hind and front legs is a reasonable measure of that.
    2007 Welsh Cob C X TB GG Eragon
    Our training journal.
    1989-2008 French TB Shamus Fancy
    I owned him for fifteen years, but he was his own horse.