The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Email from Equine Canada - Alliance of Provincial Equestrian Federations

So if I'm reading this right, basically everyone with major horse communities EXCEPT BC and Ontario (I don't know the scene in Manitoba or NB) has seceded from EC...?

November 30, 2010

Equine Canada Special Bulletin

Equine Canada acknowledges the recent formation of the Canadian Horse Alliance.

By the nature of our interaction with horses we are already much too fragmented as a community.

Our interests are already so divergent between, recreation, agriculture, breeds and industry, and sport, not to mention all the divisions within sport such as breed sports, english, dressage, driving, endurance, eventing, jumping, para-equestrian, reining, and vaulting and western. It is extremely challenging to represent this diversification by one unified voice.

The formation of the Canadian Horse Alliance could possibly further dilute the "message" and will negatively affect equestrianism in Canada. This alliance has been created based on the opinions of a handful of people with limited and or no consultation from their membership.

We must all share the vision of how a single united voice would truly serve to elevate the interests of all stakeholders.

Yours sincerely,

Mike Gallagher
    President
    Equine Canada

Open Letter from Equine Canada - November 2010

By now you may be aware of the recent decision of six provincial equestrian corporations to dissolve their partnerships with Canada's national equestrian federation, Equine Canada.

In 2008, consultations took place with members of Equine Canada's Provinces Council, representing all 10 provinces, on how to move Equine Canada forward to best benefit our various stakeholders. At that time all 10 provinces unanimously voted in principle to support the concept of a harmonized membership where a provincial member would also become a national member and pay one fee.

In 2010, four of the 10 provinces as well as the newly formed Yukon equestrian corporation moved forward with the signing of an individualized Service Agreement. Since these partnerships were formed, all five corporations positively state that this new agreement is working very well and have reported a marked increase in membership.

Additionally, this partnership has offered the ability to create a grant fund to be distributed within the five provinces and territory. Examples of this grant program at work are recent financial investments in both New Brunswick and British Columbia.

With regards to the remaining six provinces that have yet to negotiate successful Service Agreements with Equine Canada, they proceeded to present a sincere offer in the form of a proposal in June 2010.

Their proposal asked that Equine Canada agree to 21 requests or concerns. Equine Canada had agreed completely with 16 of the 21 requests including the need for a business plan, provincial input into a new strategic plan, a governance review, a method of collecting membership fees that provinces would consider acceptable, as well as agreement on most areas of competition administration, combined officials programs and a requirement that a major percentage of funds collected be used exclusively for recreation programs across the country.

While Equine Canada willingly continued to negotiate the remaining five proposed items with the assistance of the Sport Dispute Resolution Centre of Canada, the ultimate stalemate occurred when the six provinces advised that they would only accept a $5 membership fee, not a $10 membership fee. It had became apparent that all of the provincial concerns noted above regarding representation, legality, seriously flawed structure, etc. would seemingly disappear if Equine Canada would merely agree to a $5 fee.

It was at this point it become evident that the sole argument that jeopardized the future of equestrianism in Canada was merely about $5, nothing more.
    For over a year, Equine Canada has tried to extend discussions beyond that of just the provincial executive directors by offering to meet with the Board of Directors of each of these 6 provinces. To date, each Board has refused to meet to discuss their concerns.

While Equine Canada makes no apologies for attempting to streamline and incorporate additional services to our members and other stakeholders, we do want to take the opportunity to recognize that as a result of attempting to incorporate a harmonized provincial/national membership there has been some confusion and perhaps frustration.

We appreciate that there is a lot of information, and sadly misinformation, being distributed on the subject of our reform. Equine Canada wants to assure you, our stakeholder, that we are committed to the continuation of provision of programs and services to Canadians that allow everyone to enjoy your horse-related activity.

We are also committed to ensuring matters related to horse health and welfare is paramount and effectively presented, and acknowledged, at various levels of government. We believe in the strength of the Canadian herd and the quality of our breeding programs and are supportive partners in their international promotion.

In addition to the delivery of programs and services related to sport, recreation and industry, Equine Canada believes its membership holds additional benefits for our members. Outstanding discounts from our Members First discount program, which includes savings from a variety of purchasing partners such as John Deere, Toshiba, Office Depot and Sherwin Williams products, as well as other benefits of membership such as discounts at Choice Hotels, Hertz Car Rental and the newly added Park' N Fly add personal value to your Equine Canada membership.

As a demonstration of our commitment to servicing all Canadians, new for 2011 Equine Canada will extend its offerings to include a Service Package for individuals residing in provinces outside of the harmonized structure. This $25 package will offer the opportunity to individuals not requiring or wanting a provincial membership to have the security of full liability insurance ($5,000,000) as well as the discount opportunities previously mentioned. Monthly EC e-Newsletters will also be part of this service package and will be a useful tool in keeping Canadians up to date with industry information.

Lastly we would like to formally state that Equine Canada still believes in the strength of the unified structure and are of the mind that together we are better. As has been the case, we welcome the opportunity for the five provinces outside the harmonized structure to participate in discussions that will lead to a productive and purposeful partnership and betterment of services to Canadians.
    Here's the press release I found from the new Alliance... looks like the final name is still pending...?
    http://www.newswire.ca/en/releases/a.../19/c5981.html
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

I got that memo as well but I do not fully "get it".

I'm in Ontario so I guess it doesn't matter.

What a poorly written piece.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

I got sick of EC sending me "updates" on this silly little catfight...I didn't give them my work email address so that they could squabble like children publicly.

As someone who shows locally, I'll have to see which organization our local shows choose to run under. That, more than anything else, will determine who gets my money this year. Last year most of the shows I really like to attend went under our Provincial banner...then EC threatened to pull judges' cards from Judges who agreed to do the Provincial shows. How...sporting. The rated EC shows that I attended last year were smaller than usual, more expensive than previously and offered no benefit to someone like me.
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

Did anyone happen to see the EC booth at WEG? Glad to see our membership dollars going to good use. They make it very difficult to defend their position.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

sigh - just what is needed, another layer of confusion to add to the mass influx already regarding how many associations 'need' a piece of my paycheck so I can continue competing. freaking annoying.

the sports license alone is enough to make me throw things when I have to cough it up every year - I HAVE to pay it, to ride in FEI endurance rides, yet 3..coming on 4 years now down the road, the endurance canada arm of EC is still in some sort of limbo-ette - which is frustrating all onto itself.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.

Off the Endurance Canada site.

A NEW CANADIAN HORSE ALLIANCE IS FORMED

Canada NewsWire

MONTREAL, Nov. 19

MONTREAL, Nov. 19 /CNW Telbec/ - The provincial equestrian organizations of Alberta, Saskatchewan, Quebec, Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and Newfoundland & Labrador are proud to announce the incorporation of a new national alliance of equine organizations under the provisions of the Canada Corporations Act. The name of the new organization is pending approval of Industry Canada and a further announcement is forthcoming.

The Alberta Equestrian Federation, the Saskatchewan Horse Federation, Fédération équestre du Québec, Nova Scotia Equestrian Federation, the Newfoundland Equestrian Association, and the Island Horse Council, have been working together for more than a year to explore ways to promote and protect the interests of their members and of horse enthusiasts everywhere.

The six founding member organizations of the new alliance have for many years been leaders in the delivery of local programs and services to the equine sector, and have been supported by growing individual memberships reflecting the diversity of the equine community from coast to coast. The six organizations represent more than 30,000 Canadians. It will be the mission of the alliance to harness the collective assets of member organizations to develop, strengthen and promote horse-related initiatives that respect this diversity. In particular, the alliance aims to invest in sport, recreation and industry development at the local and grass-roots level, assisting traditionally under-represented or under-served horse people and organizations to achieve mutually-identified goals. The overriding aim will be to protect and promote the horse and horse welfare, whether in sport, agriculture, or a family companion.

In its first year of business, the alliance will be communicating its aims and objectives widely, in the hope that horse people and organizations will join with it to build a national organization that is a clear reflection of the diversity and richness of horse life in Canada. The six founding members recently met in Alberta to formulate their priority objectives for 2011, and once its corporate name is approved a more detailed announcement will be published. At its first meeting, a board of directors consisting of the six presidents of the founding members was established, and Dixie Crowson of Vauxhall Alberta will serve as its first President.

Read more: http://www.digitaljournal.com/pr/166988#ixzz16o3aIjfl
    Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.

While Equine Canada makes no apologies
    Hell has not frozen over yet.

for attempting to streamline
    Attempting being the operative here.

and incorporate additional services to our members and other stakeholders,
    Who are these "other Stakeholders" if not paying Members?

we do want to take the opportunity to recognize that as a result of attempting to incorporate a harmonized provincial/national membership there has been some confusion and perhaps frustration.
    What?

So, more Provinces and Territories have left EC after the ones that left last year.

There has to be a REASON that the average MEMBER can understand, that everyone except Ont and BC has opted out. (I'd like to mention here that I'm in Ont. and don't recall being asked...)

Could some, preferably non-partisan person, totally dumb-down this reason so that the average person can understand WHY THE HELL most of the country has left its supposed governing body?

I'm pretty sure it isn't over $5.00, as Mike seems to be trying to say in this long-winded missive.

Anybody? Anybody?
    Buehler?

NJR

This whole thing feels like a giant satire dreamed up by a class of business undergrads - I would have a hard time taking it seriously, except I keep getting screwed by Equine Canada in real life.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

..exactly, but I live in B.C. Generally, a fractured community is not the way to go.

I'm quite concerned about this summer show season for Bronze level shows as NO Equine Canada judges will be allowed to judge at those shows. They will need to hire US judges.... EC judges have been warned they would have their EC judge's card remove if they'd work for any shows not regulated by EC....

Aren't Bronze levels shows sanctioned by EC?

As long as I can recall (10+ years), EC has warned judges they would have their card pulled if they judged a non-sanctioned show (i.e, schooling show), so that is nothing new.

I myself would love some clarity about wtf is going on - (as I'm sure we all would!) but damn, it's impossible to get a straight answer from anyone - I happen to know a few higher ups and called em, - I got the party line:/ - of course I kind of expected that. but .. the whole lame ass press release war is really 'not helpful' to the masses - Hello EC!!!?????

even though I'm in bc, - so.. how does that affect me out of province wise for competitions? (or is that a dumb question:/ -sigh) do I need to pay yet another membership fee to show in AB? for example?

The only thing I'm sure of is the fact that at some point, it will mean yet ANOTHER membership to buy, and another useless fee to pay to every single H/J show I want to enter. Because only having memberships to EC, AEF, AHHS and ASJA just wasn't enough....

All I know is I'm getting a friggin headache as is trying to sort out who I have to pay to ride a gd horse these days - it's getting so completely ridiculous.

Bronze shows were sanctionned by EC but organized and managed by our federation FEQ, as they are Regional shows and we have a big end of season for all best of Quebec regions riders to compete against. Its called Jeux Equestre du Quebec.

Quebec is out of EC. Bronze shows are no longer sanctioned by EC, thus we can no longer use EC judges...Last Jeux Equestre du Quebec had no choice but to hire US judges.... So I wonder what kind of judges our 'bronze' shows will have this year...not sure FEQ and show organisers can afford US judges much....

One of my friend is an EC judge and she is quite concerned, she can always go judge in Ontario but still....

^ last year Bronze shows in Alberta were EC sanctioned. They also tried/(succeeded??) to do some nonsense called "Discovery Shows" which was an attempt to get all the schooling shows in the entire region to fly under the (expensive) EC banner. I'm talking shows where the show office is someone's porch tent and class entries are $5 (or $25 for the whole day.) Those are still FUN shows.

A whole bunch of schooling and Open shows decided to operate under the AEF banner instead. These shows, on average, cost me less than half the amount to enter and my divisions typically had MORE competitors than the Bronze/Silver/Gold rated EC shows. Every year the EC fees at shows get larger and larger (special levies, drug testing etc.) and the classes get smaller. They are succeeding at increasing the elitism in the sport, and succeeding handily.

EC overstepped in Alberta, and tried to apply big H/J and Dressage style show management and fees to all of the recreational riders like me who occasionally show. It resulted in the disappearance of some of our long-time schooling level shows, who understood the EC rules to mean that they could not get judges at all. Other Schooling shows just found judges and ran quietly under the old AEF rules.

I don't fit EC's idea of what a show rider should be, and I also don't fit many BNT's ideas of what a show rider should be. I think they should be THRILLED that they are driving riffraff like me out of the sport and back into Provincial organizations. Oh, except they like my money too much.
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

I wonder if FEI level riders from non EC provinces will just have to get individual memberships to EC. EC is still the sport's governing body and if those people want to play at the FEI level I imagine they are going to have to join EC in order to do so.

Alberta and Quebec are unconventional bedfellows......
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    I wonder if FEI level riders from non EC provinces will just have to get individual memberships to EC. EC is still the sport's governing body and if those people want to play at the FEI level I imagine they are going to have to join EC in order to do so.

hmm good point. is the new association going to be recognized by FEI ?(I can't see that - but stranger things have happened I guess) If it does get recognized, than what, say I'm an opted in province - go to an FEI competition in another province which isn't in EC - do I get to than also pay FEI fees for the new organization in order to compete? Since we would have... 2 governing bodies according to FEI?

*I need a coffee now!*

*It is Advil for headaches we need*

Let's take a little trip back.
    Back to around 2003 when those of us who showed were suddenly told that Passports, as we knew them, were going to cease to exist ANY MINUTE NOW.
    No real communication from EC, except that it was going to happen ANY MINUTE NOW. I was on a dressage Executive at the time and we couldn't even find out information for our own members as to whether they should apply for Passports for the show season, or not.
    Then, we're told to go ahead. NEXT year, it's ALL going to change. So, people who would normally have purchased a Passport for a new horse just didn't bother because no one knew if they were going to grandfather the old Passports or if you'd just have to pay all over again. In fact, I think that happened a couple of years in a row. It would be interesting to see just how much revenue EC LOST by sending out all this non-information that never went anywhere but just made people not get Passports for their horses that year and maybe the next.

Eventually, we got Sport Licenses which are NOT what the original change was supposed to be at all. The reason for the change that never happened was that the Canadian Gov't wanted every horse in Canada to have a number that travels with them from birth to life and EC was going to help them start that with The Passport Change That Never Happened. Now, I think I'm beginning to get an inkling perhaps of WHY the other provinces aren't playing ball anymore. It's just a guess on my part. But I'm wondering if the magic $5.00 that they can't agree on is somehow connected to this Equine ID programme? EC is committed to it. They said so in 2004.

If I read the proposal right this will cover EVERY horse in Canada. Not just the ones who get out to shows. Someone has to track all those horses. That's going to take (and make) money.

Maybe I'm way off in left field. Would NOT be the first time.

So Mike! Buddy! What is it really?

And while you're at it, please explain how the members of only 2 provinces are going to generate enough revenue for EC to get itself through this year?

Make that the Members of 2 provinces minus 1 Member from Ont.

NJR