The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default TB Conformation Critique

I'd love to hear any comments on this mare. I think her shoulder is a straight and her neck isn't put on as high as I normally like but I'm wondering how much that is worth vs having a great jump. I have seen her go and she jumps fabulously with her knees to her eyeballs and is very brave to the fences.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Thoroughbred.jpg 
Views:	324 
Size:	39.6 KB 
ID:	31420  

She's quite straight behind, I think. Little bit of a roached back--hopefully your Quantum will fit.
    You know I'm a draft x fan now so my perception is a bit skewed, but she seems to have awfully fine bone/teeny little fetlock joints with her hind pasterns quite a bit more sloped than her front ones.

You haven't said her age and how much work she is in.
    Those factors play into future speculation since @ 3 she would still have alot of room to change.
    Plus if older and has been in a program the physical changes of correct work will be laid.

If she jumps that well and is nice to ride and sound who cares whether she has a longer neck or a more sloping shoulder.

Function over form...............

She is 4 and has only been in work for a few months. She came off the track in May. I'm not sure how much work she is getting but they are selling her since they do not have enough time to ride her and their other horse too. She is barefoot.

I think a lot of her seeming flaws would be fixed with a different position. She looks likely to have a lot of freedom in her shoulder, to the point having her weight shifted forward will make her shoulder look steeper. Same with the seeming straightness through her back legs - I bet they look better if they're under her.

Her neck is tied on low, and I might care if you said you were looking for an upper level dressage prospect because even with correct work it won't be as "pretty" - but for eventing, just more correct work will make a HUGE difference. I also didn't love her topline overall, but knowing she hasn't been in any kind of work meant to develop it for long does make it less of a concern. I always get concerned over spindly looking legs, yet prefer the TBs, so just have to get over that issue.

I would *definitely* go check her out based on overall balance and promise of filling in and developing well, especially since you already know she has a great jump.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I'm with netg.

She is quite attractive overall. I don't think her shoulder is too straight. She is a it fine boned and a little long/roached in the back. None of this is insurmountable, though. If she is using herself as you describe at 4, then she likely has the aptitude to do the job. It all depends on what YOU are looking for.

If you showed me this picture and asked me what I thought this horse should do, I would probably say "Be a show hunter." Her type and look is really ideal for them. She wouldn't win the conformation classes for the greens, but if she is the type of jumper you describe, then she might make a nice working hunter. However, it's really important that she have the right temperment for that job (not too hot).

In short: What are your goals? She is very pretty and if you are excited by her and not looking to do FEI dressage then she is likely a great prospect!!
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals" Immanuel Kant

Thanks guys! It's always nice to hear other people's opinions and it helps me really ferret out what I want/need.

I think she would make a great eventer but I might pass on her due to her likelihood of not being a top contender in the dressage phase. Dressage potential is pretty important to me and her movement is probably not up to snuff. I used to almost do dressage exclusively when I had a horse who liked it more than jumping (we'd most always win/place in the top 2 of the dressage phase at events) and I currently have an Oldenburg weanling filly who I bought to hopefully be my FEI dressage horse, especially based on what her full brothers and sisters are doing. So given that, I'll probably keep looking for one that jumps well AND has nice movement/dressage potential. I know no horse is perfect but I'm sure I will come across another horse that I would be happy with.

Oh, don't misunderstand - I didn't see anything to indicate her movement would be poor.

The lower set neck would affect the "look" for an FEI dressage horse. However, check out the top eventers who place at the top in dressage - they have very different necks than FEI dressage horses. If you didn't think you might want to go straight dressage, she looks like she could be quite suited for what you want.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I like her

When I look at her I don't see good overall balance. Her neck is set on low and her shoulder is rather upright. Coupled with the upright pasterns and long cannon bones I'm not sure she'd hold up to or even move well enough to be an UL prospect.
    Not saying she couldn't defeat the odds and overcome conformational flaws, I've seen that done many times. Just my personal opinion that she doesn't look super athletic.
    RIP Spider Murphy 4/20/02 - 10/31/10

If you know she has a good jump and are concerned about the movement ask if you can see her in an indoor arena (since the footing is icky this time of year) at liberty. If she moves short there you know to pass.