The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Sir Donnerhall

Does anyone know where I can find a conformation picture of this stallion? I hear people saying that he needs a mare with a good hind end, but I'd like to know more specifics.

Quote Originally Posted by Forte View Post
    Does anyone know where I can find a conformation picture of this stallion? I hear people saying that he needs a mare with a good hind end, but I'd like to know more specifics.
    I really like him, but I have yet to find a conformation shot of him. But you hear a lot about "his hind end". Maybe one of our COTH friend's who is in Germany or travels there will have one.

Hm, I saw him while I was traveling in Germany. I thought he was gorgeous, and so kind & inquisitive. However, he had his blanket on and I didn't take a good look. He was very impressive in person, much like Sandro Hit, and appeared very correct. Which is saying a lot, because even with blankets still on some of the famous names weren't as they appear in photo's. Some of the stallions I noticed in my travels were post-legged or built like a GS behind...scary
    Last edited by goodmorning; Nov. 30, 2010 at 10:39 AM.

I saw him in his stable a few times at his SPT. From what I remember he was built somewhat like a sausage with long legs His barrel was as flat/wide on top as it was deep. He was a hair on the long side with a somewhat flat croup. I recall his legs being correct and he had a nice neck. He was a total character in the stable and very sweet. I watched him remove his blanket over his head without undoing any buckles. I watched him work every day that we were there and he was absolutely impressive. His rideability was second to none and he seemed happy and willing all the time. His gaits were stunning and I felt he absolutely deserved his huge score.

We just bought a 2 1/2 year licensed stallion by Sir Donnerhall at the Oldenburg stallion licensing in Vechta> He is out of a St. Pr./El. St. mare by Feiner Stern who is out of a St. Pr./ El. St. by Pik Bube. You can read all about it on the Oldenburg website here:
    http://www.oldenburghorse.com/Oldbrg-News.htm
    There are a few conformation photos on my website here:
    http://www.rollingstonefarm.com/
    http://www.rollingstonefarm.com
    Large Oldenburg and Hanoverian breeding farm
    Standing Shakespeare RSF, Fhitzgerald, Sir James and the homebred stallion Dheputy.

Congrats, Mo! I was wondering when you were going to make the big announcement!

How exciting.
    Does he have Furioso II top and bottom?

Mo, congratulations! He is beautiful.
    Mystic Owl Sporthorses
    www.mysticowlsporthorses.com

http://www.rollingstonefarm.com/list...ages/365_1.jpg

I obviously need better reading glasses!
    Last edited by DennisM; Nov. 30, 2010 at 01:35 PM. Reason: wrong

That is the Holsteiner stallion Feldherr in Sir Donnerhall's damline - not Freiherr. Feldherr does not descend from Furioso.

I saw him too when I was in Germany, but he had his blanket on. He was GORGEOUS though. I don't think his hind legs are incorrect, but my guess is that if you stood him up he would be a bit out behind ...that is how he moves anyways. He flexes his hocks really well, but I don't think he shortens/quickens the hind stride really well (probably why the piaffe /passage stuff is hard for alot of the S line horses).

I used him on a mare with a quick hind leg. She is built well under herself and the resulting filly is super. I would just never use him with a mare that is over angulated behind, long in the stifle...or slow behind.

Quote Originally Posted by MoSwanson View Post
    We just bought a 2 1/2 year licensed stallion by Sir Donnerhall at the Oldenburg stallion licensing in Vechta> He is out of a St. Pr./El. St. mare by Feiner Stern who is out of a St. Pr./ El. St. by Pik Bube. You can read all about it on the Oldenburg website here:
    http://www.oldenburghorse.com/Oldbrg-News.htm
    There are a few conformation photos on my website here:
    http://www.rollingstonefarm.com/
    I heard about this and think it is so exciting. Congratulations!!
    Roseknoll Sporthorses
    www.roseknoll.net

Quote Originally Posted by Donella View Post
    I saw him too when I was in Germany, but he had his blanket on. He was GORGEOUS though. I don't think his hind legs are incorrect, but my guess is that if you stood him up he would be a bit out behind ...that is how he moves anyways. He flexes his hocks really well, but I don't think he shortens/quickens the hind stride really well (probably why the piaffe /passage stuff is hard for alot of the S line horses).

I used him on a mare with a quick hind leg. She is built well under herself and the resulting filly is super. I would just never use him with a mare that is over angulated behind, long in the stifle...or slow behind.
    This is what I hear generally about S-line horses. My personal experience has been that with SH and Stedinger offspring, anyway, that they have exceptionally quick hind legs, so it seems easy enough to improve with the right choice of mares. I did take it into account when picking matches.

The Sir Donnerhall offspring I have seen have been uniformly very good movers and I like them even better under saddle.
    Roseknoll Sporthorses
    www.roseknoll.net

Congratulations MO!!
    Once he gets here, let us know. I have a Don Principe daughter for him!
    Maryanna Haymon- Marydell Farm - Home to Don Principe & Doctor Wendell MF
    www.marydellfarm.com
    2012 USDF Champion Breeder! 2007, 2011 USEF Champ Breeder
    2009,2010,2011 USDF Res Breeder of the Year!

SD has a very flat croup, like a table top, and a slightly straight hind leg. I would never breed to him myself as I dislike the hind end so strongly. However I like a number of his offspring I have seen so I would use a son or buy a daughter if they inherited his good qualities and not that hind end. And yes I have seen him without his blankets on LOL
    www.volatis.co.uk - breeders of quality and colour

Quote Originally Posted by Sacha View Post
    SD has a very flat croup, like a table top, and a slightly straight hind leg. I would never breed to him myself as I dislike the hind end so strongly. However I like a number of his offspring I have seen so I would use a son or buy a daughter if they inherited his good qualities and not that hind end. And yes I have seen him without his blankets on LOL

Didn't you say you work for Schockemoehle? If so, I am not sure he would be so thrilled with a number of your recent comments about his horses (e.g., Hotline, as well). I just find it curious.
    Roseknoll Sporthorses
    www.roseknoll.net

Is he approved Hanoverian?

Quote Originally Posted by Forte View Post
    Is he approved Hanoverian?
    99.90% certain the answer is yes. His brother SD II is not approved though.

Ask Sunny Days for sure, she had a SD colt this year out of her Contendro mare and I believe he went to a Hanov. inspection and not a GOV one.

Yes he is approved.

Laura Whitford has a super SD filly this year that she presented at the MAHB inspection in November.
    Roseknoll Sporthorses
    www.roseknoll.net

YL, what do you want me to say, every horse here is the best thing since sliced bread. The horse is well known to have a very flat hind quarter, but I like what he produces. Whats wrong with that??? I would buy a Don Frederico as I like what he produces but wouldn't breed to him myself as he has a quite crooked front leg, just in case my foal inherited that crookedness. I wouldnt breed to Quaterback as there are issues with him I dont like, but I have seen a foal by himn I would love to have afforded, and some that have issues that I dont like. If someone has first hand experience of a horse and its not all rosy, should they stay quiet? I didnt say the horse was crap, I said I wouldnt breed to him myself, thats very different
    www.volatis.co.uk - breeders of quality and colour