The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horseback Riding in Ireland

Soooo I am so excited, but I am going to Ireland with a friend of mine this year for vacation. We have 2 days open without tours and such, and I want to ride while we are down there. Do any of you know of any places that do single day riding? Preferably a place that is able to do beginners too, because my friend has very little riding experience. Any help would be great!

The SW portion of the country is your best bet for riding. My trip there didn't take me to that region, but we found opportunities in the SE portion of the country, although I know we would have had much more (and better) choices elsewhere. It was still a blast though.. I consider it worth it just seeing my beginner husband put on top of the worlds widest and lowest "gypsy vanner" (read: regular Irish Cob) in the world.

PM me and let me know where you will be so I can give you some ideas.

I really hope this trip isn't anytime soon as we are snowed in, having problems with water, and in general driving is totally chaotic at best.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    PM me and let me know where you will be so I can give you some ideas.

I really hope this trip isn't anytime soon as we are snowed in, having problems with water, and in general driving is totally chaotic at best.

Terri
    LOL, I got an email a few days ago from Tourism Ireland telling me that I should celebrate "Winter in Ireland" Nope, don't think so
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

I gotta be honest with you it's a complete disaster! Really the country is set up for Florida living - all water pipes above ground, have never ever seen a snow plow or gritter though I'm told they exist, ect. Some parts of the country today are totally impassable including Slane where I used to live.

And I'm really annoyed as my Abba has just gotten fit and was ready to start some jumping and now everthing is canceled and she can only handwalk daily.

Celebrate Irish riding in the winter, are they joking? You wouldn't even make your destination never mind riding.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Yeah the weather in Scotland is crazy. Went to see my friend's ponies Sunday afternoon. Pushing full wheel barrows through 6 inches of snow (and still going strong) was a challenge...Think there's more on the way, the UK is not used to this kind of weather, though we should be after last winter!
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey