The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Default Blind Mare Update! Moved and happy.

I posted a couple of weeks ago about a friend taking in a blind Arabian mare. She took all the great advice on here and has made a safe paddock and run-in for Betty. We moved her on Saturday, and she loaded and hauled like a champ. She has 3 sheep next to her and a mare in the next pasture over for company. She has banged into fences a bit, but seems to have figured things out.

I am going to suggest to my friend that she install some "snow fencing" inside her post and rail fences that are up now so Betty touches it first and backs up, instead of hitting a hard surface and hurting herself. Not pretty, but effective.

She has a vet coming out to evaluate her and a farrier on the way to trim her fairly decent, but a bit long, feet.

Jen has her on free choice grass hay, soaked BP with oats and rice bran to gently put on the 75 lbs. she needs to be healthy.

Fingers are crossed that she managed fine today without Jen talking to her and checking on her every few hours. She totally recognizes 'Mom's" voice and follows her everywhere.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

So happy to read such a positive update! Tell your friend that we're pulling for them. I know what it's like to have a blind mare recognize your voice (and car) and it can move you to tears....
    Y'all ain't right!

Default Great news ~ Bless your friend for giving her a safe home ~

Nice story ~ so glad to hear your friend has provided the mare with a great home

Soft hijack CC ??? How is the shoulder and your riding ????
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieSlave View Post
    So happy to read such a positive update! Tell your friend that we're pulling for them. I know what it's like to have a blind mare recognize your voice (and car) and it can move you to tears....
    Ack...I am moved to tears just reading about this. I hope all works out. Fingers crossed. What a wonderful thing your friend is doing.

What a great story. I appreciate it even more since my childhood horse (an appy mare) ended up blind after years of battling uveitis.

I never had to do this for my mare since she went blind gradually, but I've heard that running a strip of gravel or stone dust/screenings along the fenceline will help a blind horse figure out where the fence is before bumping into it. Seems logical to me.

So glad to hear this girl is happy and safe! Thanks to all who made it possible.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Yeah for a great Update...please keep us posted on how the mare makes out.

I cried a bit when Jen talked to her and she nickered at her, it was so sweet. Jen has gone through a bitter divorce and is getting her doctorate all at the same time. Her dear daughter is leasing my jumper while I'm recovering (Hey ZuZu! my shoulder is just kind of meh right now-not better, not worse. I'm riding 3x a week, on the flat though.) from my shoulder injury. I love these ladies! They are wonderful and giving and kind. Betty is awesome. Here are some photos of her in her new home.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/album.php?aid=2095810&id=1374713704
    Last edited by Calvincrowe; Nov. 29, 2010 at 09:32 PM. Reason: added link

argh... typical FB...pictures not set to public!
    So glad everything is going well for Betty. Great on your friend's part!

Sorry, that is Jen's page. I'll ask her to open it to a public album. Betty is a small, chestnut mare with a big white blaze. She's still underweight, but has a full wardrobe of warm blankets to help her out. She must have been a real looker in her past. No idea how old, but teens?? probably. I'll ask her what the vet says. I saw the photos of her when she was initially rescued and she was a rack of bones, with open wounds on her face, and her left eye was a weeping, oozing mess. She looks amazing now. You'd never know she was blind, unless you see the withered left eye up close.

Glad to hear she's doing well! Good for your friend to take her in

Default Nice ~

Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"