The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 'close behind'

is there a name for the way a horse walks when he is really close behind, almost steps in same footprint line? What effect does that have on his athletic abilities? Also a bit piano chested and slight paddle in r front.

Thanks..

Often described as rope-walking. Can cause interference, and in some instances references a lack of power/scope.

As for a paddle in front, means you might not win the hack at a Hunter show. For eventing, depends on how bad, what the rest of the movement looks like, etc. Can be caused conformationally, can be a strength issue. Again, can see some interference and uneven foot development/loading in severe cases.

I ride one--unraced because of this. He's just a trail / pleasure horse, and I'm not sure I would want to do much more than maybe Nov level eventing with him. He's actually very comfortable to ride and doesn't interfere or need shoeing, but there's something a little different about the way he moves behind. I definitely wouldn't trust him going down a steep hill, or any hill at a canter. But he's also quite big and long and just not naturally balanced either.

Not something I would be thrilled about in a prospect--wouldn't be bothered in a proven horse.

Default Thanks!

The reason I ask is because I just got him from a friend to try and sell for her. He is 9 and never done much except trails, a few jumping lessons and foxhunted in the slow field.

I just now worked him on the lunge - just got him home, and I think he's limited as anything more than maybe novice. He might jump higher - don't know yet - but won't do great in the dressage. Also, being a TB, he won't be a 'packer' for someone who doesn't ride pretty well.

He's a pretty, nice guy - good on the ground, etc., just not sure how marketable for the $$ she wants to get for him. And I don't want to spend too much time schooling, lessons, etc as I have 4 of my own. Thanks again....

My Tb is a "rope walker". She used to interfere badly in the back, I had to turn her out, and ride her, with ankle boots and pastern wraps. Somehow tho, she got better and rarely interferes now unless I let her hind feet go too long. I think correct muscling and dressage work did wonders for her. I also had a good chiro adjust her a few times since I bought her.

She is small, balanced, very athletic and catty and I feel perfectly safe on her when jumping Novice-Training high xc fences and riding on various terrain at all speeds.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

This may or may not be the case with your horse, but I had a horse with fusing hocks and he would "tight-rope" behind to compensate for the soreness caused by the fusing. It was not part of his normal way of going before the fusing started. Might be something worth checking out ahead of time since it's a sale horse...could be an issue for the buyer if they do a PPE.