The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default North OC, CA H/J barn recommendations

Does anyone have any recommendations for H/J barns in northern Orange County, California? My friend moved to Tustin Hills and is buying a new horse and asked me for names.

She works in the Pasadena area, so it can't be HB or Sycamore Trails.

Thanks!
    2012 goal: learn to ride like a Barn Rat

A helmet saved my life.

Pasadena is in Los Angeles county, at least an hour or more from Tustin. Huntington Beach is considered north OC. Not sure what area would be best for her based on the info you provided. Does she want her horse close to home in Tustin?

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Coto de Caza has several HJ trainers, but would involve trekking south from Tustin, whereas she works north (way north, as someone already pointed out) of Tustin.

My barn is in Chino Hills which is just north of North OC and would be kinda on the way from Pasadena to Tustin. There are several other barns on the same street as our barn.

What sort of a barn is she looking for in terms of sub-discipline, cost, and level of showing?
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by Tex Mex View Post
    Pasadena is in Los Angeles county, at least an hour or more from Tustin. Huntington Beach is considered north OC. Not sure what area would be best for her based on the info you provided. Does she want her horse close to home in Tustin?
    She works in Pasadena and lives in Tustin, meaning that she would not be able to drive south to Huntington Beach to ride. Ideally, the barn would be between work and home.

A helmet saved my life.

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    Coto de Caza has several HJ trainers, but would involve trekking south from Tustin, whereas she works north (way north, as someone already pointed out) of Tustin.

My barn is in Chino Hills which is just north of North OC and would be kinda on the way from Pasadena to Tustin. There are several other barns on the same street as our barn.

What sort of a barn is she looking for in terms of sub-discipline, cost, and level of showing?
    Peggy, she said mostly just a little of this, little of that. Jumping maybe, mostly flat work, some dressage and trail riding. She's buying a youngster who will need some training, and she rides in a close contact saddle. No showing.

Are there any good places in Anaheim Hills?

A helmet saved my life.

I'd look for tack stores along that route (if you can find any) and ask about barns. Broken Horn might have some flyers posted that can get you started. I don't know that part of town very well unfortunately...

There's San Pascual in South Pasadena but that wouldn't be close to home...

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

There is Anaheim Hills Equestrian Center. ChefJade, who posts here, was there at one point. My understanding is that you end up paying for food and bedding on top of what you pay for board. Maybe it's changed. Heidi Stosser is the trainer there last I heard. There are also private barns, some of which take boarders.

There are a few places in Yorba Linda, such as Carol Tice's (northeast of the 57-91 interchange). I think it's mostly dressage but I have a friend who leases a horse to them to use in lessons and she says he does a bit of jumping. I would not recommend the Pinto place that's in the same neighborhood.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Azusa Ave. right off the 210 fwy (on the way to Pasadena) is Rainbow Canyon. Great trainers! IMHO.
    Live in the sunshine.
    Swim in the sea.
    Drink the wild air.

Yes, I was at Anaheim Hills and what Peggy says is true, however, board was pretty reasonable, so it all evened out. I can't really comment on Heidi as a trainer, I just don't know enough about her style. She has always been nice, though.

There are plenty of places, but none I can really reccomend except for Rainbow Canyon in Azusa, though they are not cheap. http://www.rainbowcanyonranch.com/

There are a couple of people/places in Orange Park Acres that would be the clossest: Laura Kelly-Spoolstra. Aspen Farms. Orange ( 714) 458-7439) and Nicole Saathoff http://www.ihfarms.com/Indian_Hill_Farms/Home.html

There is a super-low-key barn in Irvine Regional Park but no trainer that can get on and ride/train, just a beginning instructor.

www.ranchodelriostable.com in Anaheim exists, but the trainer there is kinda scary from what I have seen.

Also kinda on the way is Lauren Vogel but this facility is one stuck under power lines which always gives me the feeling. http://www.vogelequine.com/home

Here are some links to trainers. THere are some I have never heard of in Orange Park Acres and La Habra Heights that may meet her needs.

http://www.socalequine.com/atraining/orange.htm

I ride at Coto (live in Orange and work in Irvine). Though Coto is the "wrong" way, it is just 20 minutes on the toll road (where there is never traffic). My trainer also happily meets me there at 7:00 AM so I can ride before work. The groom is there even earlier to make sure my horse is ready for me when I arrive so I can maximize my time. You also won't find a better young horse trainer, but it isn't cheap. PM if you want more info. There are lots of other trainers at Coto that may also fit the bill.

Default Thanks, everyone!

Great suggestions! I sent her the link to this thread and she can go from there.

A helmet saved my life.