The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hairy Hairy Horses

I body clipped my horse on Oct. 30th and I think today I will be doing it for the 2nd time already! My horse has grown back so much hair already! At first I was worried since my horse is 19 that maybe something was wrong( i.e. cushings), but the 6 yr old that was clipped the same day is hairy again too.

It seems like the ones last year that could get away without being clipped till spring are extremely hairy already.

Are they trying to tell us something?

Anyone else have horses hairier than normal or is it just us?

Not looking forward to clipping him again a month later.

Pshaw. You're only getting to the 2nd? I did my first in Sept. and my third a month ago, and I'm in CA. I knew when they started growing so much in August this would be a long, cold winter. I can always tell what the winter is going to be like by the way they grow a coat.

Yup, mee too! It would have been our 3rd as well but i forced myself to "look away,look away" at him the entire month of September. In October I went thru 3 pairs of blades!!!He was a long and thick furball !His passport says he's a Danish Warmblood, but I'm thinking at least a 1/4 shetland pony except he's 17.2!
    ugh!!!You have my heartfelt condolences!!!

Starr Guest

I have noticed more hair growth on horses this year as well - we are supposed to have a long, cold winter!

Noticed this as well. Last year horse was on vaca & not clipped, when I started riding him in January he didn't even need to be clipped. I am clipping him for the 2nd time already this year, and he's a thin coated TB! Annoying.

why so worried man? Get his hormones tested
    Last edited by jonahmerchant12; Jan. 7, 2011 at 06:09 AM.

I clipped my Arab for the second time about a week and a half ago. He's already getting hairy again.

Even my big mare, who NEVER grows much of a coat, is hairy this year. If she would allow me to get within 30 feet of her with a pair of clippers, I would be clipping her too. Unfortunately, she DOES NOT clip.

Clipped in September, clipped in October and thinking her might need to be clipped again this December.
    I was blaming it on the barn staff for pulling his blankets and not dressing him warmly enough, but the reality is that he is growing a huge hairy coat again.
    Darn it! thankfully I don't pay anyone to do it and do it myself.

Oh and I did have to clip him in January of this year and June.
    Blood tests normal by the way.
    "Half the failures in life result from pulling in one's horse when it is leaping."

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...7&l=eca0d15457

I clipped in September, October and November. Not looking forward to clipping a 4th time!!!

He has a hunter clip, so his legs look a little funny!! They are VERY HAIRY!! He looks like he has leg warmers on!!

put him under 18 hour lights,it won't come back as quick

Tamara in TN
    Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
    I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.