The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Is there any way to extend tall boots to make them taller?

I went ebay shopping and gambled. I lost. My new Konig boots are perfect in every way except that they're about 2" too short. Sigh. Has anyone ever had their boots extended somehow? I'm wondering if I could have a band across the top like the hunt boots, or something like that, but don't know if it's possible or if it would just ruin a nice pair of boots that I should resell. I'd be happy if I could use them for any discipline (I event and ride with the hounds occasionally), but they do look pretty dumb "as-is". Thanks in advance for any advice!

I've never had it done, but I did speak to a custom boot maker at WEG who said they can add to the top. Her examples were all brown on top of black, which I thought looked fine, but I'm sure they could match the color too.

I just had this done with a pair of Sergio Grassos that I loved in every way....except they were maybe 1" too short. I handed them over to a boot repair guy who added cuffs (to get the extra inch of height he made a 5-6"?ish cuff). He did mine in patent leather and they're gorgeous, though I had asked to have them done in some sort of matte leather either identical to what they were made of or in a subtly printed leather. Turns out I like the patent more than I thought I would, and they're back-up boots anyways, so I'm keeping them the way they are.

But it was simple and would look perfectly fine with non-patent leather.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

You can always put tops on the boots. Male foxhunters with colors have brown tops and females with colors, unless they are staff and wear pink, have patent leather tops. Any good boot company, like Dehner, can put tops on boots, but you'd likely lose the Spanish cut on top. Lots of places in VA can do tops. I'd think plain black leather tops wouldn't be so bad, and when you get your colors they could be exchanged for Patent leather.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

Wow--you all just made my day! Thanks so much!!