The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Good excercises for free schooling?

Let me start by saying I'm not a huge fan of free schooling or lungeing and always prefer to ride but certain circumstances (pregnant) are making free schooling the more logical choice.
    I have a 5 yr old green ottb that has trouble organizing himself in the canter. It took forever to teach him that he could canter on right lead and he would fall all over himself trying to get it together. Once he got it, it didn't feel too bad but he couldn't hold it for very long. I decided it would be much safer to let him figure it out for himself without a rider on his back so I started free schooling him in the indoor arena. He is improving and picking up the right lead more naturally. He has a huge step at the trot but looks choppy and short at the canter. Are there any excercises I can do to improve this situation and prevent boredom? I don't plan on doing this more then 1-2x a week max. He has been looked over by a vet and been declared sound. I also wanted to add that when he is running in the field with his buddies he can gallop at any speed on any lead without any balance issues... of course!
    Last edited by equinkel; Nov. 28, 2010 at 12:08 PM.