The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Shampoo...

So... I know, an odd topic, as it shouldn't be too difficult to find a product to wash your hair with... right?

I have been noticing my hair isn't quite as shiny and silky as it used to be... actually it's dull and brittle these days. I use quality products... Redkin (Smooth Down, the formula for anti-frizz) and all the products that go along with it... I will say that I can get a little flat iron-happy though. We also have well water... so it's probably chocked full of minerals too...

I eat a very healthy diet, I don't skimp on nutritious foods... take my vitamins...

What do you do to keep your locks luscious?

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

This is hard to find, but seek out Liggett's Bar Shampoo. It looks like a bar of soap and is all-natural vegetable-based. You can get it through Lehman's mail order and also Vermont Country Store if you can't find it in a regular store. I've never had shinier hair in my life. It's amazing.

http://secure.jrliggett.com/proddetail.php?prod=1020
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    This is hard to find, but seek out Liggett's Bar Shampoo. It looks like a bar of soap and is all-natural vegetable-based. You can get it through Lehman's mail order and also Vermont Country Store if you can't find it in a regular store. I've never had shinier hair in my life. It's amazing.

http://secure.jrliggett.com/proddetail.php?prod=1020

Hmmm... may have to give that a try

\"For all those men who say, \"Why buy the cow when you can get the milk for free,\" here\'s an update for you: Nowadays 80% of women are against marriage. Why? Because women realize it\'s not worth buying an entire pig just to get a little sausage.\"-

When was the last time you had a physical? There are underlying health issues that can cause brittle hair. Do yourself a favor and go to your doctor - if for no other reason than to rule out that possibility. Because if there is something going on, all the shampoo in the world won't fix it. Good luck - I really hope I am wrong.

SCFarm
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com

If you are using a straightener, you need to use a heat protectant otherwise you will fry your hair. If one does not use a protectant then you get dry and brittle hair, which are your symptoms.
    "The horse you get off f is not the same horse you got on. It is your job as a rider to ensure that as often as possible, the change is for the better" - unknown author

http://www.sallybeauty.com/cleansing...efault,pd.html

Fabulous stuff. There are 4 kinds (colour treated, dry scalp, etc) I'll never use shampoo again. Even my hairdresser keeps saying this is the best shape my hair has been in for years.... it's very thick and shiny.

It takes a while to get your mind around not shampooing but your hair will be so nice, you'll get over it quickly.
    Sometimes I just think funny things - Dudley Moore in Arthur
    Come join us at - TheMuckBucket

On days where I am not leaving the house or at night when I know I will shower before leaving, I just use conditioner. I have very fine hair that is prone to breakage yet gets weighed down by heavy products. However, I found that massaging conditioner into my roots 2-3 times per week and rinsing out without shampooing helps keeps my hair stronger, softer, and healthier. You also might want to do some research into sulfates and shampoo. Many good shampoos have sulfates which for some people can lead to dull, lifeless hair.

I suspect your well water is half the problem or maybe more than half. Minerals in the water bind with things in your shampoo and rinse to make curds, and those stick to the hair, then combing and other styling procedures dry that curd. Heat also lifts the hair cuticle and that compounds the problem. The combination makes for dry brittle hair and breakage. There IS no fix for anything out of the scalp already - hair is dead, but you can improve things a bit by using soft water and shampoo with fewer additives.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

You can get a water softener just for the shower (attaches to the shower head). You might also have build up in your hair. Try mixing a little baking soda with your shampoo to remove the build-up and then deep condition.

Great replies and wonderful suggestions!

You might try a purifying shampoo too. Redkin has a good one that I use, it's called the Hair Cleansing Cream Shampoo
    Cascadia- OTTB mare. 04/04-05/10
    If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever

I've used Finesse texture enhancing for nearly a year now with no problem. I, too have well water and occasionally my hair misbehaves. So about once a week I use Nutrogena clarifying shampoo, lather twice, rinse and used Finesse conditioner. On days I anticipate extra frizz, I use Bumble & Bumble leave in/ rinse out conditioner.

Having said that, I've recently had a full foil frost with a background color application. It's been about a month since I've used Nutrogena, and I no longer shampoo daily. But I DO use my Finesse conditioner daily, similarly to how it's described to use WEN products. I can shampoo ever 3rd day now.. I believe it makes my hair stay softer longer now that it's colored.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    You can get a water softener just for the shower (attaches to the shower head). You might also have build up in your hair. Try mixing a little baking soda with your shampoo to remove the build-up and then deep condition.
    Good idea!! Where do they have those? Lowe's or such?

I also try to switch shampoo's every few days. Use one brand for a few days, then another the same.

Also, I shampoo every other day, but condition everyday.

How about Neutrogena(sp) for shampoo buildup?

I saw them on-line. Here's one. But just google it.

Bumble and Bumble hands down the best product line I have used. Rather expensive but I will never use anything else. My hair was a dry, over processed, frizzy, dull mess. After about a month it is so much nicer.

Also, back away from the styling tools. Use them as little as possible. Another great tip, learn how to actually do a proper blow out. It makes a world of difference and you don't have to style as much.

Your hair is probably damaged from all the heat. Back away from the hair dryer and flat iron! I only cut my hair once a year, and it's always soft. I use Pantene Time Renewal Conditioner and air dry.

I also live in Fl with well water. Is yours really rusty too? I use Aussie Moist shampoo and conditioner and my hair is great. I also work outside in the sun all day. I think making sure its really conditioned is the key.

I don't blow dry or anything my hair. I let it air dry unless I am going somewhere fancy like a wedding or something.

Quote Originally Posted by SFrost View Post
    Bumble and Bumble hands down the best product line I have used. Rather expensive but I will never use anything else. My hair was a dry, over processed, frizzy, dull mess. After about a month it is so much nicer.

Also, back away from the styling tools. Use them as little as possible. Another great tip, learn how to actually do a proper blow out. It makes a world of difference and you don't have to style as much.
    Agreed! Bumble and Bumble has transformed my hair! I'm actually great friends with a few stylists and they order product for me. Also, get one of their good masques, leave in for 20 minutes, rinse. Then put a dime to quarter size of Moroccan oil in and you're set!

Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    Your hair is probably damaged from all the heat. Back away from the hair dryer and flat iron! I only cut my hair once a year, and it's always soft. I use Pantene Time Renewal Conditioner and air dry.
    It's probably a combination of things. Well water being a factor. I'd also probably step away from the flat iron. Or if you just can't do that then definitely find a protectant spray to use on your hair. I believe bumble and bumble makes one... they have awesome products (although a bit pricey). I love the gentle shampoo and the super rich conditioner.