The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 22
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun. 15, 2002
    Location
    Gainesville, FL
    Posts
    6,073

    Default Best/Favorite Gloves

    Okay, so tell me what your favorite gloves are? Why? How long do they last? I am mainly talking about every day use.

    I am in the market for a new pair. I have always used SSG, or moutain horse in the past, just the crochet gloves. They last for a little bit, but I hate breaking them in.

    I know people love the Roeckl Gloves. Are they really worth the money?

    Thanks!
    I love cats, I love every single cat....
    So anyway I am a cat lover
    And I love to run.



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug. 4, 2009
    Location
    Atlanta, GA
    Posts
    383

    Default

    I am asking for Roeckls for christmas, but my latest pairs are the ariat ones that are like mesh.... they have lasted like a year and i ride at least 2 horses a day in them!



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Oct. 18, 2008
    Location
    Missouri
    Posts
    268

    Default

    My trainer has the roeckl gloves and they are niiiice.

    I have the SSG hybrids though and I love them. They breath, they're comfortable, cheap.



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr. 24, 2002
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    844

    Default

    Love the Roeckl gloves. The feel is great, they seem to last a lot longer than other gloves I have worn. They come in sizes versus S, M, Large so I can get a good fit. Give them a try - you can sometimes find them on eBay or other on line vendors for a tad less money.



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jan. 27, 2009
    Posts
    331

    Default

    Personally a fan of the heritage gloves! Similar quality to roeckel (spelling?) but not as nice. I have had mine for about ayear and a hlaf now? (show us only, showing about every weekend, but they hav held up wonderfully. Many choices. Check them out!



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Oct. 15, 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    892

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beethoven View Post
    Okay, so tell me what your favorite gloves are? Why? How long do they last? I am mainly talking about every day use.

    I am in the market for a new pair. I have always used SSG, or moutain horse in the past, just the crochet gloves. They last for a little bit, but I hate breaking them in.

    I know people love the Roeckl Gloves. Are they really worth the money?

    Thanks!
    I buy a cheap pair of soft, yellow, deerskin gloves from the farm store. I have a hard time finding them because I wear XXS and we don't really have a farm store here in AZ so whenever we drive through TX or OK I always have to stop and buy about four pair. They are very sturdy and last about a year.
    I've tried the white colored, thinner ones but they fall apart fast. Plus, butter colored is traditional for fox hunting so I can even wear these on hunt days, just so I don't wear my grundgy pair.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct. 15, 2010
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    892

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Doctracy View Post
    I buy a cheap pair of soft, yellow, deerskin gloves from the farm store. I have a hard time finding them because I wear XXS and we don't really have a farm store here in AZ so whenever we drive through TX or OK I always have to stop and buy about four pair. They are very sturdy and last about a year.
    I've tried the white colored, thinner ones but they fall apart fast. Plus, butter colored is traditional for fox hunting so I can even wear these on hunt days, just so I don't wear my grundgy pair.
    They might be similar to the SSG gloves but I pay about $10 a pair.



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Nov. 16, 2009
    Location
    Cincinnati, OH
    Posts
    804

    Default

    I love these - I bought some at Rolex '10 - the sales lady talked them up andthey have lived up to her praise.
    http://www.ssgridinggloves.com/style...ssg-soft-touch
    They are really comfortable, easy to wash, and I use mine a LOT. They actually come in sizes too, which I liked. They are a good glove for the money.



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug. 13, 2008
    Posts
    1,703

    Default

    I had a pair of Heritage gloves that I loved but they wore out after a few months a riding, and my second pair was stolen! (I don't know why someone would steal gloves of all things, but...). I had a pair of SSG's but they wore out in less than a month! I recently bought a pair of Ariat gloves and I love them! They're holding up very nicely, feel great, and look nice. I'm not sure what model they are but they have suede on the bottom and a stretchy material on the top. I hate bulky gloves and these are thick enough to protect my hands, but thin enough to still feel the reins well. I've heard the Roeckl gloves are really nice!



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jul. 11, 2005
    Location
    West Coast
    Posts
    984

    Default

    I like the Heritage crochet back gloves. They don't last forever, but long enough for being around $15. They keep my hands from getting disgusting and sweaty in the hot summers, and they don't turn my hands black like my nicer gloves do (I think they are Stuben?).
    It's not having what you want, it's wanting what you've got.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Oct. 24, 2010
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    462

    Default

    I LOVE my Ovation crochet-backed gloves. They last for a good amount of time, but when they get dirty DO NOT try to wash them. That's just a bad idea that I took upon myself to try haha.
    "Many are riders; many are craftsmen; but few are artists on horseback."
    ~George Morris



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jan. 26, 2009
    Posts
    95

    Default

    I also have Roeckls. One thing not mentioned yet is that they are washable. Maybe some of the others are too. I like having clean gloves on a regular basis. If I wash them in the early evening and lay them out to dry, they are good to go the next a.m.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun. 26, 2000
    Location
    I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA
    Posts
    7,563

    Default

    I don't like anything with an obvious logo and I find a lot of those Heritage ones have their big, obvious, gold H on theirs.

    These are my favorites - Ariat Pro Contact Gloves:
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...9&cm_vc=Search

    "If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Dec. 1, 2009
    Posts
    504

    Default

    LOVE the Bionic Gloves, and even in the winter, they are plenty warm.



  15. #15
    Join Date
    May. 1, 2007
    Posts
    625

    Default

    another vote for roeckls. LOFF mine, worth every penny



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb. 18, 2003
    Location
    A Very Small Town CT
    Posts
    346

    Default

    Roeckl's! They make a winter show glove as well. I work at a tack shop and we sell and get more requests for them over any other glove. They wear great and are worth the extra expense, once you try them on you'll see what we're all talking about!



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Nov. 25, 2007
    Posts
    91

    Default

    I just went glove shopping today! I have Roeckls or Ariat for my show gloves but everyday ones have typically been one of the Heritage kinds. I came across Tredstep gloves today that I thought I'd try since they were sold out of the others. They seem super grippy and comfy. I'm not sure if they're washable?? They had a "show hunter" model which was nice but more leather than I wanted so I got the "pro-jumper" model. They seem to run a little small though since I needed a 7.5 and I'm consistently a 7 in other brands. I'll try them for the first time this week!!!



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov. 15, 2010
    Location
    recent transplant to the Peper
    Posts
    575

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ILuvMyBoy View Post
    I just went glove shopping today! I have Roeckls or Ariat for my show gloves but everyday ones have typically been one of the Heritage kinds. I came across Tredstep gloves today that I thought I'd try since they were sold out of the others. They seem super grippy and comfy. I'm not sure if they're washable?? They had a "show hunter" model which was nice but more leather than I wanted so I got the "pro-jumper" model. They seem to run a little small though since I needed a 7.5 and I'm consistently a 7 in other brands. I'll try them for the first time this week!!!
    I just got the Tredstep "Show Hunter" model for horse shows and LOVE them. Once my Roeckls die I'm going to try the Pro jumper ones. As much as I love the Roeckls, they aren't terribly durable and I usually end up buying two pairs a year....



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Oct. 12, 2010
    Location
    Socal
    Posts
    68

    Default

    I have a few ssgs and just got a pair of the roeckl chesters. I really like the feel of them but they have stretched out alot. When I replace them I think I will go down a size...



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug. 5, 2007
    Location
    Jersey girl!
    Posts
    1,298

    Default

    Tailored sportsman makes a crocheted back glove that are just wonderful. I have several pairs and all of them are holding up superbly. Super soft leather and they fit so so nice. I don't see them in the stores too often but when I do I always buy a pair. Even though I am still on the first pair which I bought 2 years ago.
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator



Similar Threads

  1. Favorite winter riding gloves?
    By Big_Grey_hunter in forum Off Course
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Sep. 30, 2012, 08:14 PM
  2. Favorite gloves for the jumper ring?
    By faraway46 in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: Jul. 25, 2011, 08:52 PM
  3. Talk to me about your favorite summer gloves!
    By Rhody Ram in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: Apr. 28, 2010, 11:02 AM
  4. Favorite Gloves
    By SparklePlenty in forum Eventing
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Sep. 27, 2009, 12:44 PM
  5. Favorite Winter Riding Gloves?
    By Staish14 in forum Off Course
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: Dec. 6, 2008, 12:35 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness