The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Wink Vegetarian asks a Turkey question

lifetime vegetarian here.. eat eggs and milk.. otherwise have never tasted meat.

So, today I cooked my first turkey (Mr. CS and company aren't vegetarians)..
    11 lb bird.. had an easier time cooking then anticipated.. no disasters..
    Bird has been carved up.

But here's my question.. What do I do w/all the 'extra' bit's and pieces that remain.. Mr. CS says that a bird always has a lot that is left on the bone and goes to waste. I'm not keen on waste. I've 'finger picked' the bird apart.. and have about 3 cups of bits and pieces that I've picked off.. Mr. CS says it's not something he'll eat.. (even in a soup) So, do i chop it all up into itty bitty pieces and spoil the dog and barn cats? -small amounts over the course of a few days?? do i put it in a suet feeder for the birds??

Help.. I don't want it going to waste.. suggestions???

chuck the carcass in the back 40, but out of reach of farm dogs. Let the vultures have a happy thanksgiving too. afterall it's because of them that dead critters dont sit around and stink for long.
    ... had a BAD experience with a hog roast and my dog discovering the "leftovers" in the back 40.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

AAAAAAHHHH!!! Don't "chuck the carcass"!!

Put it in a big pot, cover it with water and add some carrots and onions. Cook it for several hours and you have wonderful turkey broth.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Back 40 for me is an active military base.. don't think I could chuck it high enough to get it over the fence. Hmm.. then again.. it would give those on security rounds something to puzzle about..

On second thought.. at the end the street -between my property line and the military fence- is a cemetary from the early 1800's... muuhhhaahha.. could really freak out someone..

Turkey salad (with grapes, celery, nuts, other GOODIES!!!) or mix the bits with noodles, cream sauce, and broccoli (turkey divan is its name) or with rice, onions and other goodies. Look on Food Network's site for leftover turkey recipes. Or, just stuff it ALL in a plastic container or ziploc and stuff it in the back of the freezer.

Quote Originally Posted by nightsong View Post
    Or, just stuff it ALL in a plastic container or ziploc and stuff it in the back of the freezer.
    No Thank you!! I seem to have a plethora of UFO's (unidentifiable frozen objects) in my freezer already!

:-)

chop it up and make a nice turkey sandwich from it. DH will never know what parts are in there. (not like the bits stuck to the carcass are different from what got sliced off"
    Ditto on the broth. you boil it long enough there won't be anything left on the bones worth salvaging. and you can toss it in the garbage.

Or spoil the barn beasties. They won't mind (reminds me of one thanksgiving, we had so many leftovers, even the dog refused to eat another bite of turkey! )
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by CS View Post
    No Thank you!! I seem to have a plethora of UFO's (unidentifiable frozen objects) in my freezer already!

:-)
    No, No!!! SOMEBODY's going to want it someday. Some guest who's GOT to have meat, some dog who you don't have commercial food for, SOMETHING!!! Or Mr. CS will say, next week, "Say, hon, how's about a nice turkey sandwich with all those leftovers?"

And [please BOTH a non-waster and a picky mr. by making soup with the carcass and taking it by a church that feeds the needy.

Those bits that nobody wants end up coming home with me for my dog and barn cat. As a vegetarian, they rarely get treats like that. Thanksgiving and Christmas is their happy time.