The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Blue eyes

This has probably been discussed in the past, but not recently, as far as I can see, so....why do folks have issues with blue eyed horses?
    Personally, I think that blue eyes on a horse look amazing and unique. Especially on a dark horse. I simply cannot understand why people don't like this feature.

What gives?
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

Used to be folklore had it they were "weaker" or prone to blindness. Look up wall-eye. I personally prefer a dark, liquid, eye.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    Used to be folklore had it they were "weaker" or prone to blindness. Look up wall-eye. I personally prefer a dark, liquid, eye.
    I googled wall eye, horse, and this is the first hit I got..wall·eye (wôl′ī′)

noun

1. an eye, as of a horse, with a whitish iris or white, opaque cornea
    1. an eye that turns outward, showing more white than is normal
    2. divergent strabismus

Which is always what I thought wall-eye" meant.

I love blue eyes on horses, and dogs, too, for that matter.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

It used to be old cowboy lore----

Blue-eyed Paints are evil, cold backed broncs. You might ride them for 2 hours, 2 minutes, or 2 days, but when they are done, you are off.....period. Paints with only one blue eye are not as bad, brown eyed paints are considered best.
    The only difference between a runaway and a fast gallop is nothing but a SMILE
    Most horses cross the Rainbow Bridge, but TEDDY JUMPED IT!!!
    Member of the COTH Enabler Clique

I just think they look creepy, and doubly so on a cremello or perlino. r
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

My first Paint gelding had one blue eye. The teenagers at the barn called it his evil eye, but he was a very kind horse so to me it made no sense. Never had any problems with his eye, either. I ended up selling him to my vet's wife, who has him to this day. He's 27 now.

I still love a horse with blue eyes, although I've not had one since.

My horse has a blue/brown eye ......the most beautiful eyes I've ever seen.

He also has a bald face, pink skin. Less melanin, more prone to sun damage and photosensitization.

My understanding and experience is that blue eyes simply contain less melanin (than brown eyes) and therefore are less capable of protecting from UV radiation. Melanin biologically protects us from the harmful UV effects. Same as blue-eyed people. My bald-faced, pink-skinned, half-blue-eyed horse gets very controlled exposure to the sun. He wears a long nose mask most of the year.

I mask my black faced, brown eyed horse during all periods of intense sunlight as well. Just a good protection from the harmful effects of UV radiation. Sunglasses.

I'm just not fond of the look, but in general I don't like Overo type facial markings and that is where the majority of blue eyes are seen. Occasionally I'll see a horse with blue eyes that I do think looks really cool.

I have never been fond of the look, but I managed to end up with both blue-eyed horse. I absolutely adore said horse, but his eyes are pretty freaky. On the plus side, he draws everyone, especially non-horsey people, straight to him like a magnet - he is so striking. He is great PR for my little barn!

He does have 1 blind eye, but it is not connected to the color of his eyes, from what the vet has told me. That eye is considerably duller blue than the good eye - the good eye is a bright blue, almost florescent blue.

Here is his blind side blue eye -
    http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...tShowProof.jpg

Here is his good eye side -
    http://i258.photobucket.com/albums/h...ineUp82110.jpg

I guess it's just a matter of personal choice. I have a paint broodmare - bay head with a narrow blaze that has one blue eye. In all the years she's had foals for us, 2009 was the first foal that she even put the blue eye on. Gorgeous filly - will mature HUGE, but that darn eye freaks me out!! Even my vet said when she checked her after she was born..."Oh, I'm so sorry for you!!" But just the other day I got a call from a potential buyer - a LONGGGGGGG way away - looking for a paint filly with ONE blue eye!! No tellin'!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

I am not keen on them, don't know why though.

A former customer of mine just bought a black saddlebred with blue eyes. Not a pinto either, solid black.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

To me, blue eyes are a lot harder to read than the dark eyes.

Don't know why people don't like them, but I do know that they make contacts to make blue eyes look brown. I knew a hunter in California that wore them when she showed.

Just Outside of Dallas - California to be exact

For me, there is just something unsettling about the look of blue eyes on a horse or dog. Don't know why. Probably just because it is different. I guess if I had been raised around blue eyed horses/dogs I wouldn't have any problems.

I was told (probably folklore stuff) that blue eyes reflect more light and therefore the vision isn't as keen. Also was told that nightblindness is more prominent in blue eyed people. I'm blue eyed and when driving at night the glare from headlights can be a bear. So who knows?

Siberian Huskies always have a startling look to me. Yet, I had one many years ago.

That said, I have a QH who is an Amber Champagne whose eyes are amber. They don't present a "startling" look to me. But when he was a foal, his eyes were green and that was weird!! I got him because of various reasons (came in a group of weanlings from Texas, was a weird Pumpkin color when he was little, had epithisitis and the strange eyes) and none of the "cowboys" in the area wanted him. Friend who had these weanlings called me and asked me to take him. So I did. Epithisitis was corrected (he was young enough then to address it), color changed from pumpkiny orange to a nice coat with shading and the green eyes turned amber. When my vet came out to evaluate and recommend treatment when Kat was a weanling he said "That's the ugliest colored horse I've ever seen and his eyes are strange." HA. Year later the vet ended up getting a Mule that has amber eyes and the champagne coloring!

But, I still find blue eyes pretty distracting.
    Be kind to the animals for they are the True Innocents!
    True Innocents Equine Rescue: www.tierrescue.org
    Join us on Facebook!

it's weird. I don't think I'd be looking for a blue eyed horse, but would not dismiss one if it fit the bill otherwise...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I'll never own another blue eyed horse. I've had first hand experience of the light sensitivity and the sudden blindness from shade to light or vs versa.(We all get it) But these horses just could not adjust to the light difference. My last gelding was horrid. Being a medicine hat he had 0 protection from the sun and was confined to stall for a good portion of the day with night turn out. He didn't like fly masks and would take them off and I should have bought stock in sunblock with all that I used on him. When I first got him we had him for about a week before I realized just how blind he was. I had him tattooed then and that seemed to help but not enough. He would spook badly when he couldn't see and I would literally have to stand in the doorway of the barn to let his eyes adjust for a good 10 -15 minutes before he would move on. One of the coolest mares I handled for a while was a breeding stock mare and she was a true black with two blue eyes and a belly spot about the size of a quarter. She too had all the same issues the gelding did with light. Just as spooky as well though hers was at least a spook in place verses a reining spin coupled with a crow hop (yeah he was serious athletic). I swore then never again. I love to look at them but when I am shopping it is one of the questions I will ask. Not an issue with me for the dogs, as they don't seem to have the same issue though a few do with the sensitivity.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

I have a black and white APHA, and she has one blue eye, hair colour around the eye is black. I think it looks amazing! Personally, if the horse has blue eyes, I find it very appealing,but then, I have really blue eyes, too, people often mention that my eyes are "weird" because they are so blue....birds of a feather, I guess.
    Adding: the old cowboys would really dislike my mare, along with the blue eye, she has four high white stockings, and white feet! All those things we are warned to stay away from.Said mare is one of the best of my bunch! Old wives tales, be gone, I say!
    ― Anna Sewell

Come to our part of the country and you will see first hand why blue eyed horses or those with white around the eyes are not happy horses.
    We are at altitude, have most days of the year harsh sun shining, are extremely windy and dry, that means dusty.

Some breeders of paints tried here, but had to give up other than colored eyes and bald faces that had considerably color around the eyes.
    Vets here try using tatoo ink on those horses and it does help, but it fades in a few years and has to be repeated.

Horses with one eye with white skin or one blue eye and the other side with color are a good example, how that one side is weeping and squinting all the time, the other clear.

Maybe in other parts of the country you don't have those problems, but here, if you have other than colored eyes and eye rims, you better count on having to use a mask on those horses, which many do.

As for how blue eyes look, that I guess would be like choosing a gray over a bay or such, a matter of taste.

I love blue eyed horses!!! My horse of a lifetime had two blue eyes. He was a incredibly talented animal. Sane minded and he never had any health/eye issues though I did keep a make on him when he was outside.

All my friends keep telling me that blue eyes are a recessive gene in horses, and that I shouldn't buy one. If I could find one with good conformation and bloodlines, I'd buy one. Well there was one, but she was for sale for over $1M years ago. If I had had the money way back then, San P. Weihaiwej would have been in my barn, a blue-eyed jumper.
    (I've had blue eyed siamese cats and aussies for decades, but no blue eyed horses.)