The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by amberhill View Post
    Humble....small pony hunter.....watch the 2 minute mark of this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WI-ym...layer_embedded

pics and more videos on the following webpage

http://www.amberhillponies.com/Amber...rm/Humble.html

Freaky Trot
    Freaky Canter
    Freaky Jump
    Uh, yeah- we had a pony in gulfport last winter showing against this guy in the childrens. our pony is a very fancy, quite nice mover, but we didn't have a chance in the hack next to this guy

I didn't get a chance to read all these to see if this has been posted yet, but OH MY GOSH, look at this filly. This is just stunning!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nDgv0C_PdIY
    C. Brooke Cowan
    Over Rabbit Farm

Lapinwood Ponies

This is my youngest from the day that I went to look at him (unbroke, so just free in ring): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjVfzreSMGw
    No Crown Point (who I just watched and loved his movement -- although I agree with the comments about judges will either love him or hate him), but I think he's pretty nice.

crown point moves a lot nicer imo without the drawreins. interesting
    Von Hendrix aka Jimi

Quote Originally Posted by equidae View Post
    I like your horse. He seems to have an active mind. Are you going to do jumpers?
    Thank you. Yes, jumpers and eq.

Quote Originally Posted by mckenna310 View Post
    crown point moves a lot nicer imo without the drawreins. interesting
    He also has steel shoes on in the video with the draw reins....

Quote Originally Posted by *Lovelife* View Post
    Magicrosefarm- both are gorgeous! I especially love the chesnut- what breed?
    These girls are 3/4 sisters, both by our stallion Beste Gold , out of half sisters, the chestnut's mother is by Feiner Stern out of an Abundance ( sire of Ruxton) daughter. The darker filly's dam is by Davignport from the Abundance mare. This mare is more typey, however both dams did well as youngsters in the Hunter in hand.

The dark filly is more typical of the giant moving WB and is of the type that many talk about "dumbing down the gaits a bit".

For as much as you can see with two silly fillies loose in a ring: I think both are lovely hunter types, demonstrating the strength of breeding choices, while also showing differences of infusing different blood.... although the chestnut is a much more "traditional" mover.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicRoseFarm View Post
    Here is a short video of two youngsters at liberty, 3/4 sisters, both very different types of movers, but both good..

Once they settle a bit you can notice that although the bay is a VERY dramatic mover at trot, the chestnut is very rhythmic and extremely balanced at canter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Psj4fCiezI
    "It's not how good you ride, It's how good your horse covers for you." -Kristan
    Magic Rose Farm- home of Beste Gold & Hot Shot
    Beste Gold & Offspring on Facebook
    Magic Rose Farm Warmbloods on FB

How many of you retract your good mover label if the hind end is trailing way out behind? It matters to me that a horse reaches underneath itself with the rear legs.
    Last edited by Plumcreek; Dec. 30, 2010 at 03:19 PM. Reason: spelling
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

Me. It's about more than the front end.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

to me that is a matter of engagement. If a horse engages and still moves like a washing machine, he ain't a good mover. If he is a good mover, yes I look for engagement, but just because he isn't doing it in that ride or on that video doesn't mean he can't do it. But engaged, not engaged, the washing machine is still a washing machine.

But if I was judging a class and a good moving came along, nicely engaged and tracking up... well no duh, I'd like him more than that good mover who was not, for whatever reason. But it is a hunter hack, not really the same degree or type of engagement is being asked for as in dressage, just a good ground covering efficient gait.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

I tried the hunter breeding classes with THIS one....

As you can imagine,they did NOT like him for hunters..... can't imagine why not? LOL. I still laugh thinking about him being in the HB classes.

A fabulous mover for dressage no doubt, but hunters.... NO.

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    to me that is a matter of engagement. If a horse engages and still moves like a washing machine, he ain't a good mover. If he is a good mover, yes I look for engagement, but just because he isn't doing it in that ride or on that video doesn't mean he can't do it. But engaged, not engaged, the washing machine is still a washing machine.

But if I was judging a class and a good moving came along, nicely engaged and tracking up... well no duh, I'd like him more than that good mover who was not, for whatever reason. But it is a hunter hack, not really the same degree or type of engagement is being asked for as in dressage, just a good ground covering efficient gait.
    This. I have friends that look at nothing but what is happening with the hind end. I know people that look at nothing but the front end. I prefer a great front end with an engaged hind end, a soft, swinging back, and a nose poke. A horse might be daisy cutter-like with a nice hind end, but if it is tense through its back and neck, the whole picture is ruined...IMO.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Quote Originally Posted by rosmelgirl View Post
    My old small pony hunter RosMel's Millennium
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZ2fLUuIPIk

I won pretty much every hack on him! He was a FREAK mover! We won the hack at Pony Finals and Devon
    I love your pony!

Quote Originally Posted by Plumcreek View Post
    How many of you retract your good mover label if the hind end is trailing way out behind? It matters to me that a horse reaches underneath itself with the rear legs.
    It depends - I won't claim a horse is a poor mover if it's not engaged at all with poor riding. I expect to see some natural engagement if I'm going to call a horse a fantastic mover, though, for whatever discipline. Certainly I want to see more for a dressage prospect, but if a horse naturally trails out behind with no indication of proper use of the back end, I'm not going to call it a good mover regardless.
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

I am adding my mare that I bred. She's 4 years of age and she's a Dutch/TB cross. She is bred for jumpers. Now video is not great as you will see but there is some close up stuff of her if you are patient. It's not long so don't worry. This was her first day out anywhere, first time ever in and indoor. She just went to do some warmup stuff to get her used to a show atmosphere. This video is of her going into the big ring for a look around. My trainer is riding her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRCHLdoVY2g

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    I am adding my mare that I bred. She's 4 years of age and she's a Dutch/TB cross. She is bred for jumpers. Now video is not great as you will see but there is some close up stuff of her if you are patient. It's not long so don't worry. This was her first day out anywhere, first time ever in and indoor. She just went to do some warmup stuff to get her used to a show atmosphere. This video is of her going into the big ring for a look around. My trainer is riding her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XRCHLdoVY2g

Terri
    If you ever want to send your mare overseas to a clueless amateur to do dressage with, I'm perfectly willing to take her.

Quote Originally Posted by netg View Post
    If you ever want to send your mare overseas to a clueless amateur to do dressage with, I'm perfectly willing to take her.
    Somebody else said the same thing to me a few weeks ago. Why not try your mare in dressage and I thought, I just don't think she's a good enough mover for dressage and she has a TB mom. Plus, I am really clueless in that department!

Thank you very much!

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

Quote Originally Posted by Equilibrium View Post
    Somebody else said the same thing to me a few weeks ago. Why not try your mare in dressage and I thought, I just don't think she's a good enough mover for dressage and she has a TB mom. Plus, I am really clueless in that department!

Thank you very much!

Terri
    I think most good jumpers can be dressage horses, too - it's the impulsion and use of the back end, freedom of the shoulder plus uphill tendency which tend to make them good for dressage. Plus, most of the top dressage horses out there have a LOT more TB in them than you realize! (I have my eye on a TB mare with bloodlines I love to possibly purchase and breed half TB/warmblood babies for dressage...)