The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

I might kick myself for asking this - and if it comes across as even slightly trollish plz tell me to MMOB - but I noticed that on "Humble's" page his sire is listed but dam in listed as "unknown."

Is that possible for a pony like him? Or is it just not listed but in fact probably actually known?
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Quote Originally Posted by wcporter View Post
    I might kick myself for asking this - and if it comes across as even slightly trollish plz tell me to MMOB - but I noticed that on "Humble's" page his sire is listed but dam in listed as "unknown."

Is that possible for a pony like him? Or is it just not listed but in fact probably actually known?
    Quite common, even in derby and GP horses. A lot of times the big name stallion (in this case Blue Rain) is considered the more important part, while the mare may just be a generic broodmare with no registered name. Also, that info is straight from USEF so whoever registered him might just have not known the mare's name off the top of their head, but knew he was by Blue Rain.

1 members found this post helpful.

Every time I see that video of Crown Point I let out an audible whimper at how good a mover he is. He's so pretty I could cry.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsalem View Post
    Crown point is in my barn. He's leased and yes, he's been very successful as a Children's Hunter.
    Ah, how I would love to borrow that horse for the side saddle at Devon.
    Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

Westeporte

click on the trotting in hand pic in the middle of the page. Can you said YUMMY daisy cutter?

http://www.countrylanewarmbloods.com/stallion.htm
    The rider casts his heart over the fence,
    the horse jumps in pursuit of it.

–Hans-Heinrich Isenbart

Quote Originally Posted by iEquitate View Post
    Quite common, even in derby and GP horses. A lot of times the big name stallion (in this case Blue Rain) is considered the more important part, while the mare may just be a generic broodmare with no registered name. Also, that info is straight from USEF so whoever registered him might just have not known the mare's name off the top of their head, but knew he was by Blue Rain.
    thanks!
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

"Argosy" - YouTube

Not too shabby. Though the first pics were with a dressage rider, he's been almost exclusively bred for hunter babies.

My apologies, I didn't realize how far back I had gone in threads! I just thought it was a neat topic. To my knowledge the mare is not for sale as the kid is taking her to Junior Hunter Finals. I personally like how she moves. I do think this was shortly after she was imported and she was imported right after having a foal, so green and out of shape.

That Argosy horse- what a canter when he's in that field! WOW!

1 members found this post helpful.

I know this is a sales video, but this is NOT my horse (I wish!), so I think it's okay to post - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58BsT...ature=youtu.be
    Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

Former owner of the best Amish-carthorse-turned-eventer ever

I realize that dressage horses move much differently than hunters/jumpers but to me those dressage trots just seem--er--artificially overdone--way too much suspension and animation. Impressive, but not really a natural way of moving.

JMHO--I'm open to constructive comments but no flames please.

Crown Point = NICE!

The rider casts his heart over the fence,
    the horse jumps in pursuit of it.

–Hans-Heinrich Isenbart

Quote Originally Posted by zipperfoot View Post
    I realize that dressage horses move much differently than hunters/jumpers but to me those dressage trots just seem--er--artificially overdone--way too much suspension and animation. Impressive, but not really a natural way of moving.

JMHO--I'm open to constructive comments but no flames please.

Crown Point = NICE!
    I'm a dressage rider. To me, the great-moving hunters you guys post look like they're barely moving. I often think, "Okay, but I'd love to see his movement when he's actually USING himself." They always look too slow, unengaged, and often on the forehand.

Not saying they ARE. Just saying that what we're accustomed to seeing often looks more "correct" than what we're unaccustomed to seeing, even when the other is perfectly correct.
    In order to think outside the box, one must first know what is in the box.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadenz View Post
    I'm a dressage rider. To me, the great-moving hunters you guys post look like they're barely moving. I often think, "Okay, but I'd love to see his movement when he's actually USING himself." They always look too slow, unengaged, and often on the forehand.

Not saying they ARE. Just saying that what we're accustomed to seeing often looks more "correct" than what we're unaccustomed to seeing, even when the other is perfectly correct.
    Absolutely! Correct is different depending on discipline, and once your eye is adjusted to almost exclusively one discipline, the others just look weird.

My filly is going to be my dressage horse and you can see why here, but when she relaxes and stretches down/out while trotting she has what I think of as a hunter trot to die for! This gives you an idea, at least. I need to get some current video of her, but her pen has too many trees in it to get a decent shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=znGzTA4DC4c
    My horse is a dressage diva so I don't have to be.

Quote Originally Posted by katarine
    If you have a fat gay horse that likes Parelli, you're really screwed

Kadenz and zipperfoot, you are both probably right, and both probably recognizing fads in the other's discipline. A true toe-flipping hunter will not be shuffling along on the forehand, and a truly correct dressage horse will not have his right knee at his nose while his left hind toe hovers an inch off the ground. Not saying they aren't out there, but neither are traditionally correct.
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com
    Now promoting sale horses from North Carolina to the Netherlands. Follow us on Facebook.

What would you consider my guy. He is in dressage training and here I'm riding him long and bring him up a bit at times but he is just coming back into work from 4 months off so just trying to build muscles slowly. I will show him dressage but just wondering, I've been out of the hunter ring a while and my daughter will start riding again soon. You think he could hold his own locally?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5meF-...e_gdata_player
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Rabicon, he's very cute when he gets going. He'd need less knee action to be all that competitive under saddle but he'll get bonus points for the nice steady-eddy frame, quality to his gait, and over all appealing presence. Those factors alone usually earn plenty of good ribbons locally

ETA, speaking for the Hunter ring.
    ExchangeHunterJumper.com
    Now promoting sale horses from North Carolina to the Netherlands. Follow us on Facebook.

Thanks. Well she wants to jump and I'm not much for her going cross country so I thought hunters maybe the thing. Lol. I'm a chicken mom lol. He is very nice and actually this is his 5th ride I believe after 4 months off and as you can hear very windy so he'd be a good boy I think for her. But he will still be my dressage horse lol
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Here is a video of a horse my friend works with 7 yo Westphalian gelding. This video is months old so he goes much better now. He's won every hack he's been in so far.
    http://youtu.be/iFNWko8b5j0

Quote Originally Posted by HotPinkHorse04 View Post
    Here is a video of a horse my friend works with 7 yo Westphalian gelding. This video is months old so he goes much better now. He's won every hack he's been in so far.
    http://youtu.be/iFNWko8b5j0
    WOW!!! Gorgeous!