The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DMK View Post
    to me that is a matter of engagement. If a horse engages and still moves like a washing machine, he ain't a good mover. If he is a good mover, yes I look for engagement, but just because he isn't doing it in that ride or on that video doesn't mean he can't do it. But engaged, not engaged, the washing machine is still a washing machine.

But if I was judging a class and a good moving came along, nicely engaged and tracking up... well no duh, I'd like him more than that good mover who was not, for whatever reason. But it is a hunter hack, not really the same degree or type of engagement is being asked for as in dressage, just a good ground covering efficient gait.
    This, plus the age of the horse. I certainly don't expect a yearling to have the engagement asked of a 3+ year old.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

netg,

My TB mare is actually purpose bred for steeplechasing. They are called National Hunt horses. Until I moved here I hadn't realised both types were bred. They are typically a bigger more robust type of TB. Stella is a very good mover for a TB and built uphill. She has a fabulous front, nice hind leg, but needs improvement behind. So am mindful of that when breeding. Her daughter (on the vid) is like her mother in movement butore powerful.

I love NH TB mares! You can really find some good ones for breeding sport horses.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

1 members found this post helpful.

I couldn't find a newer video including trot but to me this mare has an ideal trot and canter for the hunter ring http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9guPbGoZy8

Damon Jerome. Definitely not a hunter, but WOW what movement.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFxIPsfURq8

Dancing foal: He's very impressive but I really hate those dressage horses who you can't hardly tell the trot from the passage.

Quote Originally Posted by JustMyStyle View Post
    I couldn't find a newer video including trot but to me this mare has an ideal trot and canter for the hunter ring http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9guPbGoZy8
    Did you bump up a 2-year-old thread just to post that? She's a decent mover; canter is better than her trot, but I wouldn't call her great.

9 members found this post helpful.

I actually like the trot of the mare, but I don't like the canter. It looks disjointed to me. Wonder if she's young?

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsalem View Post
    I actually like the trot of the mare, but I don't like the canter. It looks disjointed to me. Wonder if she's young?
    Hind end seems to trail at both gaits. Just thought it was an interesting horse to use as an example in an old thread.

Of course, your Water Music and RosMel's Millenium have been the best two examples post.

4 members found this post helpful.

So does anyone know what ever became of Crown Point? His video still pops up when people post examples of good movers.

I have seen that mare in person and you are correct something is a little funny with the hind end at both gaits. Very weird video to post in this thread..

I believe Crown Point is clocking around in the childrens

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Tha Ridge View Post
    Did you bump up a 2-year-old thread just to post that? She's a decent mover; canter is better than her trot, but I wouldn't call her great.
    Just guessing, but perhaps this was posted because the horse is for sale? No better advertising than to put it on a "show me a good mover" thread.

ETA I don't intend to be cynical, it's just that, to my eye, in this video the horse doesn't stand out as an exceptional mover.
    Last edited by skydy; Mar. 19, 2013 at 01:19 AM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaKaLwvIOCg

This may have already been posted, but Rumba with John French aboard at the USHJA International Hunter Derby in Kentucky

Quote Originally Posted by FleabittenGray View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaKaLwvIOCg

This may have already been posted, but Rumba with John French aboard at the USHJA International Hunter Derby in Kentucky

Yeah, I saw this thread and posted my favorite in 2010 of Rumba!!! This thread has been brought back from the dead. And of course I watched the video AGAIN....

Agree with Tha Rigde's response.
    Train like you have never won and show like you have never lost!!!

What's sad is seeing a certain someone posting video of a certain pony back there as an example. Post 135.

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    What's sad is seeing a certain someone posting video of a certain pony back there as an example. Post 135.
    Edited because I went back to look and this isn't the thread where I brought said pony up as an example. He truly was an amazing mover.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Um, I'm pretty sure that I was that "someone" and I'm just a nobody. Recent events do not change the fact AT ALL that the pony was an amazing mover. I actually thought this thread got pulled back up in a search for the pony...but maybe not.
    Nope. You might have also, but the one I referred to was posted by the owner herself, while pony was still around (and probably for sale or lease, hence the posting!). I also wondered if that's how this got picked up after two years of inactivity.

Crown point is in my barn. He's leased and yes, he's been very successful as a Children's Hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by Jsalem View Post
    Crown point is in my barn. He's leased and yes, he's been very successful as a Children's Hunter.
    Cool!

And how funny that the horse world and this BB turn out to be so small sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by SaturdayNightLive View Post
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UftVL2ejDZQ

Crown Point ridden by Scott Stewart. This horse is a freak of a mover. His trot is beautiful and a little better than his canter, IMO. He also jumps well. I don't think he's ever done much competition wise though, someone correct me if I'm wrong.
    Holy cow! That is an amazing trot.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

Quote Originally Posted by horsepoor View Post
    Nope. You might have also, but the one I referred to was posted by the owner herself, while pony was still around (and probably for sale or lease, hence the posting!). I also wondered if that's how this got picked up after two years of inactivity.
    That's weird. When I was editing my post there were no other posts. Oh well. As mentioned in my edited post, it must've been another thread where I posted a link to him as a good mover.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"