The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by llsc View Post
    Thanks guys. I figured most people were cheap like me. My treats would be on the fancy side, but really funny and cute, so we'll see how it goes. I'm still perfecting the recipe.

New question. Are you opposed to sugar in your treats? Would something with icing, the dry, hard kind, turn you off if it was really cute?
    I wouldn't buy something like that regularly, no. Maybe once in a while fr a gift for a friend or something. But I wouldn't personally use fancy frosted treats. Sounds fun though!

Um, like sugar is a problem for us...?

But it might be good to have alternate IR type treats too.

You'd only have a zillion taste testers on this board.
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Willie Bakery has a treat that they call The Big Cookie. It's about the size of the palm of your hand and the different designs (shapes) are decorated with icing. I just looked at their website and there isn't a picture of them.

If fed immediately, they look great. If you don't - the icing shatters and falls off. If you throw them in the fridge or freezer the icing is cloudy. They're still ok to feed - they just don't look as good.

Petafour has some decorated cookies as well... they're just done more with a piped on icing vs a poured icing glaze.
    I just went to link to their site - they've closed up shop.
    Sometimes I just think funny things - Dudley Moore in Arthur
    Come join us at - TheMuckBucket

Quote Originally Posted by llsc View Post

New question. Are you opposed to sugar in your treats? Would something with icing, the dry, hard kind, turn you off if it was really cute?
    I'd probably pass on something like that, assuming it was created with the dippy middle aged female "my horse is my big hairy child" market segment.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

i make my own treats. doesn't take long and makes the whole house smell wonderfully when they bake! Personally i dont care about sugar intake since they are on the smaller size (the treats,... the horse is big lol) and he doesnt get them that often (5 treats/week maybe a few more if any are leftover and other people feed those to him).

ive tried a couple different icing/frosting versions and for my personal preference it's not worth the hassle in transporting them (but thats likely my recipe/the icing ive been making).

have fun!

Sure, I'd feed with sugar icing! Lucky will eat almost anything (he hates apples--not apple-flavored treats, just apples) and unlike his owner he needs help staying fat (heck, staying not-bony) so sugar is good.

I don't think I'd go for the icing. Mine love their unfrosted treats that are called Nickermakers, and I like to put a few in my pockets. If there was frosting I'm afraid it would make a mess.

I probably would not buy anything with icing, as it tends to flake off and make a mess and can be sticky. I like the Mrs. Pastures cookies b/c you can throw a handful or two in a pocket and no mess.

Mine are treat w*ores and expect a treat every evening after they've gotten their flake of alfalfa. And a treat while they're being saddled, and a treat when they're untacked.....and at random occasions in-between!

I always have at least four different varieties of treats -- Mrs. Pastures, Dumores (molasses), Nickermakers, something I get at our feed store that I can't recall the name of, and I always, always have peppermints on hand. I will always pick up another batch if I see a brand "we" haven't tried before. lol! I am a very good enabler!

I actually have a leather treat pouch attached to each of my saddles, and they are always stocked with peppermints for rewards during my riding sessions. Not. Spoiled. At. All!