The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Do you buy horse treats? New ? about sugar and icing post #38.

What do you buy, how often and how much do you spend?

I've got a killer idea for some treats and just want to do a bit of research to decide if it's worth trying as a business.
    Last edited by llsc; Nov. 28, 2010 at 07:38 AM.

I get Dumors (sp) from Tractor Supply in 20 pound bags for under $15.00.

I usually end up with several pounds of leftover candy canes from the holidays from my mom and her friends that last a good chunk of the year, lol.

My old boy used to LOVE peppermint Peeps & Little Debbie Oatmeal Cream Pies. And powdered donuts. And apple licorice. And granola bars. And....lots of junk a horse probably shouldn't eat, that you don't buy in a tack store.

Now, I'll either get carrots or a bag of mints at the grocery store for my 2 horses. I bought a small tub of Uncle Jimmy Squeezy Buns the other day, but honestly, that's rare. I find a bag of mints is usually good enough. I don't really like spending a lot on horse treats. Maybe $5-$10.
    <3 Vinnie <3
    1992-2010
    Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

Alfalfa cubes is the usual treat in my barn. Occasionally I'll buy a bag of peppermints and I'll give the horses apples or carrots from the house, but that's rare.

I buy mints when they're on sale for 10 bags for 5 dollars. I also bring a carrot or part of an apple to the barn if I remember. I've never purchased actual horse treats to feed to my horse.

Yes = apples and carrots, constantly. Cheaper (Sam's Club) than designer treats and more nutritious. Special Christmas treats are licorice jelly beans.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

My horse is picky, but he loves Mrs Pastures horse cookies. I bought a big bag of treats from the feed store once, and he hated them. I ended up giving them to the rest of the barn.

We feed soft treats: fig newtons and Pro Manna Peppermint treats. Small bag on the peppermint treats. Can't remember the treats. For id, there's a carousel horse on the front of a pink bag.

Manna Pro Apple wafers, peppermints, carrots, and apples.
    "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

I love feeding treats but I don't like to spend a lot and I like to mix it up, so I've used all these as treats: apples, carrots, alfalfa cubes, mints, Dumor's, spice cookis from Big Lots!

Lunar can't have lots of sugar so I buy Herb balls and sometimes I also buy Beat treats. He doesn't get a ton of treats though so I usually buy a couple of bags of each a year.

I buy treats, but fairly infrequently as I don't give many at one time. I most frequently buy Dumors, because they're cheap and you get a lot for the money. This time of year I'll buy a few bags of the "designer treats" as gifts and for a special X-mas present for my mare. I usually get them from SmartPak and don't mind paying $6-9 a bag for a pound or so of treats.

Caitlin
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

I buy about 400 lbs of carrots a week through the winter, but that's mainly part of their feed. (I like them having something fresh every day) But I do also use the carrots for treats.

My youngsters don't like many treats but they like the Stud Muffin, Squeezy Bun type. But I have too many horses to feed those often, so that's a once in the blue thing. They like gummi bears or red licorice though.

To keep them amused in their stalls, it's usually just a hanging block of himalayan salt.

Being in Canada, we don't have nearly the selection that you guys do and it's so expensive to sell here.... I don't think that will change any time soon.

So, packaged treats ..... $20 a month would be about it for me.
    Sometimes I just think funny things - Dudley Moore in Arthur
    Come join us at - TheMuckBucket

I must be the other end of the spectrum...
    www.specialhorses.org
    a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

I have picky eaters. Some will eat carrots, almost none will eat apples. None will eat the Dumor cookies. All will eat the Manna butterscotch or peppermint treats. About 5 or 6 bucks for the 5# bag.

I feed Willie Muffins, the dumor treats, and really anything under $10. I have 3 horses, so I try to buy something that will last them at least a few weeks (give them each a treat or two a day).
    ~Jet Lag~
    ~Willie Cruise~
    ~Hot Tea~
    ~Calypso Bob~

Quote Originally Posted by llsc View Post
    What do you buy, how often and how much do you spend?

I've got a killer idea for some treats and just want to do a bit of research to decide if it's worth trying as a business.
    i dont - as it can cuase kicking biting and fighting so i dont
    my horses and ponies rewards are pats and scratches which goes far more than any sweet does

I usually just feed Crunchies as treats as I can get a 25 kg bag for $16.00, but if I find myself at a tack store I will buy fancier treats that I put in a bucket to share with my boarders/students for their horses.

I find using treats speeds up the training process for certain things, and when only given in response to a command, that the horse doesn't get pushy,

I do not like crumbly treats that fall apart in my pocket.

Mine love treats and I find them very useful for training or to make something like allergy shots a little more exciting.

I'm always looking for low-carb so I primarily use are Hilton Herballs, and the other low sugar/low carb types. Carrots are probably their favorite but I don't give them many and only small pieces.

My two horses understand treat "etiquette" and are very good about not being pushy or aggressive, especially around each other. They learned pretty quickly that the treats would disappear if they started getting aggressive.

I'm cheap! I give them peppermints nabbed from restaurants and apples that are going just a little mushy for my taste. When I'm in the mood, I'll buy a bag of carrots.
    "Things turn out best for the people who make the best of the way things turn out." ~John Wooden

Phoenix Animal Rescue