The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

There are several folks on this board who have expressed an interest in mobilizing to be of assistance to the horses affected by Katrina. Somehow, I seem to have become the coordinator of this effort among COTH'ers in the deep south through the GA Dept. of AG, which is coordinating with FEMA.

If you are interested in hitching up your trailer and hitting the road, please check in here or PM me.

It is still in the very early stages, so there isn't much info. to give yet. I am starting to line up some hay, feed, vet supplies for horses as well as water, food, bug spray, and clothes for me & other people.

Please go check out Erin's Refernce thread.
    Y'all ain't right!

There are several folks on this board who have expressed an interest in mobilizing to be of assistance to the horses affected by Katrina. Somehow, I seem to have become the coordinator of this effort among COTH'ers in the deep south through the GA Dept. of AG, which is coordinating with FEMA.

If you are interested in hitching up your trailer and hitting the road, please check in here or PM me.

It is still in the very early stages, so there isn't much info. to give yet. I am starting to line up some hay, feed, vet supplies for horses as well as water, food, bug spray, and clothes for me & other people.

Please go check out Erin's Refernce thread.
    Y'all ain't right!

For now, let's keep this thread limited to those who are relatively local and could get to the area relatively quickly. If there's enough of a need that those from farther away are needed, I'm sure someone will let us know!

Also, just a disclaimer... I don't want to encourage anyone to head into the area WITHOUT having been given the OK by authorities. They don't need unnecessary people on the road and in the way, and right now it's very early and there's still a lot we don't know.

But if you are local and have a rig and can either ferry horses out or can bring in hay/feed/bedding/water/etc., please post here that you are available, and hopefully someone can let you know if they'll take you up on your offer!

Just talked to Dr. Frazier, the AL State Vet at the AL Dept. of Ag. They are starting to build a resource list now of people who can trailer and/or house horses. He said Mobile County was the hardest hit in Alabama, and they are still compiling data.
    Jonah 4:4: And the Lord said, "Do you do well to be angry?"

College football season is HERE!!!

Thanks Erin! You are so right, none of us need to do anything until we have some direction and a plan. I think that working through the state agencies or FEMA will be the best way to go.
    Y'all ain't right!

Thank you Beastieslave for posting my thoughts after our chat yesterday.

Horseyfolks,as usual you are wonderful.

I am certain the "large animal emergency team" from Florida will be going to the emergency area.

Please be aware,livestock will NOT have coggins or papers,they will be finding them roaming around,just as they will find cats and dogs and all other animals displaced by this storm.

It will take a while to sort out this awful mess and get help in there.

In Florida the aftermath of Andrew was Horrific,many horses were never found,pets were just abandoned .

I too could take 2 horses/ponies,Ithink Beastieslave would take a couple too.

Gio/Beavercreek? would also take a couple I am sure.

I dont know how big your trailer is Horseyfolks,but I am sure we could find temporary foster homes in this area,Lakecity/Gainesville for a full load.

I am sure we have COTHers in this area that would help,and it would make this a COTH...Project.

During Serious hurricanes the AG dept,waived Coogins requirements in FLorida,allowing the movement of livestock to safer places.

God bless all the folks in that area,my thoughts and prayers have been with them constantly..

I am located very close to I-10/I-75 near Lakecity.
    \"I have lived my life-it is nearly done-.I have played the game all round;But I freely admit that the best of my fun I owe it to Horse and Hound\".

I have family in Baton Rouge (with no power still, but all OK and accounted for), and kb has family in the New Orleans area. We were thinking of taking up a collection of hay/feed/etc and driving it over there to help when they start allowing people back into the area. We're in Houston so it's not a long drive (well at least normally!! http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif) and we'd really like to do something to help. So if anyone is in the Houston area and wants to get together to pack a 3 horse trailer full of pony & dog food, I'm more than happy to drive it over there and if possible, bring horses that need shelter back this way.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "There is just as much horse sense as ever, but the horses have most of it"

BTW, for those of you in the FLA, GA, AL areas who are wanting to join the 'convoy' I have contacted cllane1 and the AL state vet. It looks like we're on call for Mobile County which is the hardest hit area in Alabama. They are still getting info. in and making plans but very grateful for our offers of help.

They would like to know how many horses we can haul, so if you are checking in, give trailer size. Thanks!
    Y'all ain't right!

If anyone is *thinking* about volunteering and wants to have an extra body on hand w/ horse experience let me know.

I don't have a trailer but I can offer manpower and experience and whatever else I've got to hand!
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

I would imagine that extra hands who know their way around a horse would be most welcome!
    Y'all ain't right!

Agreed! Horsy help would be appreciated, as I may be driving down without my husband, depending on when we are activated (he may not be able to get off work).

I'll definitely be without hubby. Football season starts at UGA this weekend don'tcha know?! I'm counting on being part of a HUGE convoy http://chronicleforums.com/groupee_c...on_biggrin.gif
    Y'all ain't right!

Maybe we should call Dr. Frazier back and tell him to call our group the Coth Convoy! Then everyone would know who to hook up with!

My barn owner/boss just came back in from an errand, and I filled her in. She's (well, we're both) willing to go into Mississippi or LA as well, wherever we're needed. Passed the info along to our dressage and eventing group as well.

Those of you who are close enough to actually go to the area, I'm sure it goes without saying that those of us who are NOT close enough will be more than happy enough to send money for gas and supplies for the horses. If y'all have the rigs and the time to go, the rest of us can take care of everything else! Let me know when it gets to that point, and I can start a separate thread and coordinate it.

Don (horseyfolks) is really getting the word out too and I think he's getting good response from the folks in Florida around him. He should be able to give us an update in a little while.

So far vets and feed suppliers have been stepping up. Don also has a guy who'll be taking tons of temporary fence panels (round pens).

How do we set up ways for folks to send $ for gas, etc.? I don't want to hijack this thread, but I have no clue about that.
    Y'all ain't right!

Hmmmm, someone needs to set up a PayPal account maybe?
    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

Can you actually get cash from PayPal? I thought it was all make-believe $ http://chronicleforums.com/images/cu...s/winkgrin.gif
    Y'all ain't right!

Dang it, Groupee lost my post.

Beastie, I'm not sure how Paypal works in regards to cash, but even if we can't get to the $$ right away, we can use it to reimburse ourselves for gas, buy supplies, etc. I have a feeling that our inaugural convoy may have to be done on our own dimes until some kind of fund gets established. But as hubby says, it's only money!

So I say go ahead and set it up. But I have no idea how it works in regards to who can draw from it, etc.

I have a PayPal account... Is there a way to set one up for a group?
    Y'all ain't right!

I am in Kentucky and will help in any way possible, hauling, handling, catching, housing...from what it sounds like, there are people and animals just wandering around down there. It is going to get ugly very fast with no fresh water and food.

I called the number that was posted and left a voice message on the cell of the vet who is coordinating things.

ANy other people in KY who would like to join me,I have a four horse with LQ and a two horse bumper pull.