The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default I got a pregnant mini donk, now what?

I made the mistake of going with some enabler friends to look at a small herd of mini donkeys that needed to be rehomed, the owner died and his wife just can't take care of them all any more. Well, I came home with Ginger, who is about a month away from foaling, we think. She had a baby a year ago in September and has been running with a Jack ever since and she is HUGE... Any tips about donkeys foaling? I've had horse foals, but not donkeys. Also, she gets a bit upset about some of my dogs. What is the best way to get her to accept that they belong here? How do I introduce them all? She's been with dogs at her former home, but she knew those dogs. She's ok with the ducks, geese and cats, but really hollered when my Mom let the dogs out by accident when I had her grazing on the lawn. They did startle her, I think, but I don't want her attacking them. It was really something when she brayed at the dogs, they all went and hid under the porch and car! (papillion, yorkie and poodle mix).
    Otherwise, she is a very sweet and cuddly little girl and just loves to put her head under my arm so I can rub her ears. I think I'm in love...

Thank your lucky stars! I am soooo jealous, I desperately want a mini donk!! Pictures, please!

Well, I don't know much about donks but I have had one. I'd say if she's been out, leave her out to foal. Keep the dogd away because, in the past, donks can be used to guard against dogs, so be careful there.

As an aside, I'm an over the road truck driver and I can say those little squirts sure seem to be popular. LOTS of them! You might make some decent $$ on the baby if you were to sell him/her.
    GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Go to marestare http://latigo.marestare.com/forum/

and look through the list of live cams. There are a few mini donkey breeders such as http://butternutridgedonkeys.com/index.html and http://www.minidonks.com/ who, if I judge by their exchanges during foaling season, would be more than willing to give you advice.

Good luck and keep us posted on Ginger!!

Here's a link to Lil Beginnings' mini donkey forum, where you'll find a number of breeders:

http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.php?showforum=7

While the forum only shows one page of the most current posts, you can search to find threads from the past five years related to your topic.

Can you ask the widow of the former owner how easily this jenny foaled in the past? I would lean toward bringing her in and watching her if you don't know her history. Some miniature horses are prone to dystocias, but I really don't know if that is true for mini donkeys.
    Last edited by susanne; Nov. 27, 2010 at 06:51 PM.

I have stopped watching miniature horses' foalings on MS, but I have never seen a dystocia with the donks. I am sure it happens though. I thoroughly enjoyed watching the minidonks (half ass) foalings on MS... they have that Southern twang which is quite cute!

Congratulations! We. Must. Have. Photographs.

Have a vet do an exam, preferably w/ultrasound to determine approximate delivery date. Then, have said vet on speed dial. Trust me: dystocia is nothing you want to face alone.

Chances are you'll be fine. And yes, photos please.

According to the former owner, Ginger has had a couple of foals while they had her and had no problems and is a good mom. She was just going to let her foal in the pasture or a run in shed with collapsing walls and roof. This is Michigan and we have already had some 27 degree days and wind chills in the teens. I was afraid the foal would freeze if she had it outside on a bad day.
    Some friends of mine bought her last baby, the one that was a yearling in September. She looks just like her mommy!
    I'll have the vet out next week, but I don't think she is real close to foaling yet... no bag started, of course, that doesn't always mean anything. I once had a mare foal 2 hours after I checked her, and she had no bag development whatsoever. After foaling, it came in like gangbusters!
    I have some pictures of Ginger, now if someone will just tell me how to link to them...

"I got a pregnant mini donk, now what?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Be happy!!!!... You're gonna get to have a small ass!

Because of the cold, you should probably put a sweater on your donkey baby.
    Then be sure to post pictures
    Amateur rider, professional braider.
    ----
    Save a life, adopt a pet.

I just could not let her foal outside!!!

Me either, that's why I bought her instead of one of the adorable yearlings.

Now what? Now come join the Fenway Bartholomule facebook fanclub and POST TONS OF PICTURES! There's sure to be a longear expert there with practical advice, too . . .

Congrats, and thanks for giving her a home for the holidays.
    My ears hear a symphony of two mules, trains, and rain. The best is always yet to come, that's what they explained to me. —Bob Dylan

Fenway Bartholomule ♥ Arrietty G. Teaspoon Brays Of Our Lives

carla that is so kind of you. I have not had any mini donk foals here but I do have a mother and son that we took in four years ago and I had a standard donkey for almost 20 years. Donkeys are highly intelligent and protective of their herd. She most likely misses her herd terribly right now and may be hypersensitive to the separation from them if she is about to foal. If she has a safe place and other animals for company, she will come around but be patient. Routine is important. Also be aware that donkeys can limbo under post and rail or plank fencing if they are the adventurous type.

Donkeys will do a hold and strike attack on dogs, so be very careful about letting your little dogs loose near her until she gets to know them. She may come around, but she will probably be extra protective once her baby is born so use care with your dogs.

Good luck. You did a good thing by giving her a home and I'm sure she will repay you a million times over like ours have. Please post pictures when the baby arrives.

Someone here posted pictures of the mini donk baby they "found" on a snowy day!! Never knew the jenny was in foal. Is it .... creek. I can't remember the name, I am sorry! Baby was so cute!

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    "I got a pregnant mini donk, now what?"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Be happy!!!!... You're gonna get to have a small ass!

Great minds think alike. You beat me to it.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

Quote Originally Posted by Amwrider View Post
    Great minds think alike. You beat me to it.
    I'd like a small one of those too. My current one is too big.

Love the little "ass" comments. I haven't had one of those for years!

Quote Originally Posted by carla54 View Post
    lso, she gets a bit upset about some of my dogs.
    I don't know anything about mini-donks, but full-size donkeys will kill dogs -- mine have -- and dogs would certainly upset a donkey near foaling. I'd try to keep them apart if you can.