The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Squirrel

So what I have thought was a rat or rats in the barn is actually a squirrel! For weeks we have been trying to eliminate the rat using traps, which we find in the am, bait gone and trap moved. I figured it must be a pretty big rat to move the trap across the feed room. My jack russell did trap one between the barn and the end doors. My SO quickly dispatched it Jack russell let me know there is definately at least one more. Read the recent thread about the electronic rat trap and was going to purchase one this morning. So I'm cleaning stalls this morning and jack russell was franticlly digging in the hay pile in the other stall. This time I heard claws I looked up and there it was between the stall boards, a squirrel!! Definately cuter than a rat, but still needs to go. So off I go to the home depot for a havaheart trap. Each year I seem to need a different havaheart trap. Last year was the trap for the armadillo that moved in

Ok, so the Havarart trap has been set and bated for 4 nights, and squirrel has managed to avoid the trap. Anyone have any tips or tricks to catch this beast?

come on tell your JRT to step it up and kill it for you

Try some of the bait outside the trap, get squirrel liking it. Then lock the trap open, so you can move bait slightly inside, get squirrel used to trap as a feeding spot over several days or a week.

You want the animal reliably coming to eat bait from inside the trap, so gate must be fastened OPEN, while he goes in and out. If he is wary, you want him learning to go all the way inside to eat. When he is comfortable entering and eating inside, THEN you set the trap to spring and catch him. Make sure trap goes off easily and FAST, well lubricated springs to close quickly and completely. You probably only have one shot at catching him, they learn fast.

Friend had to put small squares of hardcloth wire around her traps outside, wired to cage so trapped coons cold not reach out to release the door. Not sure if squirrels can do that, but possible. With feeding him in the cage, any wire you added, lubricants, should all smell "normal" once he is eating in there. Peanuts are pretty smelly, as is peanut butter. The peanut butter might be good if he can't grab it and run out, has to lick it off something and trigger the gate.

Not sure what he would like best, except the peanuts. Should be something attactive to him, that he can't get anyplace else except the trap.

Quote Originally Posted by bizbachfan View Post
    come on tell your JRT to step it up and kill it for you
    He keeps trying, but it's hiding in the hay bales. I would prefer to just relocate the beast.

Quote Originally Posted by goodhors View Post
    Try some of the bait outside the trap, get squirrel liking it. Then lock the trap open, so you can move bait slightly inside, get squirrel used to trap as a feeding spot over several days or a week.

You want the animal reliably coming to eat bait from inside the trap, so gate must be fastened OPEN, while he goes in and out. If he is wary, you want him learning to go all the way inside to eat. When he is comfortable entering and eating inside, THEN you set the trap to spring and catch him. Make sure trap goes off easily and FAST, well lubricated springs to close quickly and completely. You probably only have one shot at catching him, they learn fast.

Friend had to put small squares of hardcloth wire around her traps outside, wired to cage so trapped coons cold not reach out to release the door. Not sure if squirrels can do that, but possible. With feeding him in the cage, any wire you added, lubricants, should all smell "normal" once he is eating in there. Peanuts are pretty smelly, as is peanut butter. The peanut butter might be good if he can't grab it and run out, has to lick it off something and trigger the gate.

Not sure what he would like best, except the peanuts. Should be something attactive to him, that he can't get anyplace else except the trap.
    Thanks, I'll try this. He seems to like sweetfeed

I had a squirrel take up residence in my barn a few years ago. She got between the stall boards and commenced to creating a nest for herself. She had planned to have her babies in there. I objected so I made it impossible for her to relax. Every single time I entered the barn I banged on those walls and made it really uncomfortable for her to stay. She eventually moved out on her own, no trapping or baiting necessary.
    "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Quote Originally Posted by PRS View Post
    I had a squirrel take up residence in my barn a few years ago. She got between the stall boards and commenced to creating a nest for herself. She had planned to have her babies in there. I objected so I made it impossible for her to relax. Every single time I entered the barn I banged on those walls and made it really uncomfortable for her to stay. She eventually moved out on her own, no trapping or baiting necessary.
    I hope she will move out. My jack is trying his best to make life miserable for her. She can't get between the walls, but she does get to the top of the stall walls and point and laugh I don't even have any trees near my barn, so I think she must have caught a ride to my barn and has decided to stay

I have found that squirrels LOVE sunflower seeds!
    When I was trying to catch a stray kitty, she kept getting the food out of the trap and not setting it off. I found that if I scattered the food on the ground, at the back, she HAD to step on the trigger. Try scattering SFS on the bottom towards the back.

Good Luck

LBR
    I reject your reality, and substitute my own- Adam Savage

R.I.P Ron Smith, you'll be greatly missed

Quote Originally Posted by ladybugred View Post
    I have found that squirrels LOVE sunflower seeds!
    When I was trying to catch a stray kitty, she kept getting the food out of the trap and not setting it off. I found that if I scattered the food on the ground, at the back, she HAD to step on the trigger. Try scattering SFS on the bottom towards the back.

Good Luck

LBR
    Thanks, I'll try that also And I happen to have a 50lb bag of boss in the garage for the birds and the chickensand now the squirrel.

Ummm, Why don't you just leave it alone?? It's a squirrel for goodness sakes. They are like, everywhere??

Quote Originally Posted by Huntertwo View Post
    Ummm, Why don't you just leave it alone?? It's a squirrel for goodness sakes. They are like, everywhere??
    Umm, sure if it promises not to chew my tack or the wires to the fans or any blankets. Not really thrilled about the droppings it leaves on the feed table. Especially since there isn't any feed there, so it's been chewing and scratching the labels off the supplement buckets.

Anyone else have any tips or tricks?

Quote Originally Posted by Huntertwo View Post
    She may end up having no choice about this. We are literally overrun with squirrels in our barn because we have pecan trees between our house and the barn. The one year that the trees were barren, the squirrels went away. They are obnoxious, noisy and have caused damage to fan wiring in the past in our barn. We have our wiring in conduit but the fans plug in to an outlet at the top of the stalls - they will actually unplug the fans and have chewed on the cords. They also have caused damage to my truck and my husband's car (chewing hoses). I wish I could get rid of them but they are the smartest little creatures and don't trap worth a darn.

I hope the BOSS works for you - nothing worked for me - they didn't fall for anything when I tried a humane trap the first year we lived here - I ended up with quite a few trapped opossums and one skunk - no squirrels. I had no choice but to give up and learn to live with them.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

ugh, i wish you luck with the haveaheart traps- the desensitizing tips offered above sound really useful!
    I don't have anything useful to add except trying to get the !*$&@ squirrel within 100 yards of my car. Usually they seem to do the rest themselves- honestly, it must be my neighborhood squirrels' genetics.... just astounding, really, that there are any left.
    (A decidedly unhorsey) MrB knocks over a feed bucket at the tack shop and mutters, "Oh crap. I failed the stadium jumping phase."
    (he does listen!)

Quote Originally Posted by bits619 View Post
    ugh, i wish you luck with the haveaheart traps- the desensitizing tips offered above sound really useful!
    I don't have anything useful to add except trying to get the !*$&@ squirrel within 100 yards of my car. Usually they seem to do the rest themselves- honestly, it must be my neighborhood squirrels' genetics.... just astounding, really, that there are any left.
    My brother in law had one chew the entire wiring harness in his F350

Quote Originally Posted by bludejavu View Post
    She may end up having no choice about this. We are literally overrun with squirrels in our barn because we have pecan trees between our house and the barn. The one year that the trees were barren, the squirrels went away. .

I don't have any trees even close to the barn My electric is also in conduit I just don't want it chewing anything that isn't in conduit.

This squirrel will be relocated one way or another. It's up to the squirrel if this has a happy ending.

Too bad you can't rig a bird feeder with a humane trap as I thought all squirrels just can't resist a nice bird feeder!
    Quote Originally Posted by alicen View Post
    We have no intentions of tarring and feathering anyone: this is now a thread about dipping Ryan Reynolds in chocolate.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolinadreamin' View Post
    Too bad you can't rig a bird feeder with a humane trap as I thought all squirrels just can't resist a nice bird feeder!

So, I have set the trap with BOSS. Wish me luck. My JR would really like to take care of the critter himself, but I would rather relocate the furry little beast.