The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hostess Gift Ideas for Christmas

Every Christmas I go to one of my cousin's houses for the day. It's usually a wonderful, laidback, completely no drama day. But every year I'm a bit embarrassed because they usually have some nice gift for me (and even for my dogs AND my horse!) and I just have no idea what to get for them. They seem to have everything and we don't spend a lot of time hanging out during the year, so I don't really know what would suit what is going on in anyone's life at the moment. I'll always bring a big bottle of wine and a pie or something, but would really love to bring some nice, meaningful gift. It doesn't have to be expensive, but I'd like it to be thoughtful. In the past I've brought nice chocolates or a Christmas ornament, that sort of thing, but I just don't have any good ideas otherwise. What are some of the nice gifts you have been given, that you really appreciated, in this sort of situation? I'd love some ideas.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

Well most folks go bananas over anything from Mrs Prindables:
    http://www.mrsprindables.com/
    They have a bit of everything but are known for their candied apples. And the large apples can be sliced and serve 6 people.
    Definitely unique and pretty darned tasty.

Or maybe a gc for a massage or salon treatment/facial or something similar? After hosting a holiday many hostesses can use some relaxation.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

One of my favorite hostess gifts I ever received was a basket filled with two cute Christmas mugs, some hot chocolate mix, marshmallos, some microwave popcorn packets and two dvd's: "White Christmas" and "It's a Wonderful Life". All nestled in two Christmas'y dish towels, wrapped up in cellophane with a big red bow.

I don't know how meaningful it was, but we certainly enjoyed it.

Default Local art

I live in an area rampant with artists. We have Xmas arts and crafts fairs going everywhere right now - I am headed to another one today. Yesterday I saw some ceramic Xmas tiles (pine, poinsetta designs) that are beautiful for display and use as a trivet. $22 ea - affordable as gifts.

One year I found an artist who used chunks of limestone, drilled and set a wire into them, strung on a few handmade ceramic beads (put a roach clip on top ) and it makes a photo/recipe holder. Each one was unique and they were $12-14 a piece. I bought one for everyone that year and I was done!

Today we have a holiday farmer's market - beautiful crafts and fresh greenery decor items, local gift food items, artwork. Wish I had the money to spoil everyone with such nice presents.
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian

I usually do food type baskets. Pots of locally made jams, biscuit mix from a local mill, anything locally grown/made. Really nice chocolates, cheese and great crackers from a cheese shop. Basket of coffees and teas from a coffee shop with some cookies and candy.

If she's a cook, a beautiful cookbook. Coffee table book about something they are interested in. Something for the kitchen...potholder/kitchen towels, kitchen tools.

I would go with the combination of something local and something that will be used up/eaten. Art as art is more of a problem because your choice may not fit the recipient's taste or decor.

Local foods, local wines, artisan cheeses & breads, candles from local bees, local hand-made soaps. A gift certificate to a local independent bookstore?
    Incredible Invisible

For the holidays I like to take homemade Irish cream whiskey in a pretty jar they can keep. Here's a starter recipe, though I melt real chocolate into the cream, not syrup, use half the almond extract, and add a little coconut extract. I make the coffee granules (actually I use espresso granules) with the hot milk and don't do the grinding step, I just stir everything up well. I also thin it down a bit with whole milk if I am trying to watch my weight (ha!). It keeps for several months and is best after it sits for at least a few days. It's delicious right away though.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Origina...am/Detail.aspx

Some people prefer to half the whiskey but I don't. It is deceptively strong. I warn people at cocktail parties, including a sign above the pitcher, and still end up getting phone calls the next day saying, "I didn't believe you about that stuff but you were right, it really was strong!" so here is the warning again -- it's STRONG!!!!

Thanks for all of the ideas everyone!
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

campaignin Guest

re: amazing gift ideas for boy freind

Experience first hand NASCAR racing excitement as you drive a REAL NASCAR race car on a superspeedway at NASCAR Racing Experience. “It’s As Real As it Gets” with YOU in the driver’s seat if the same NASCAR race cars that have been driven by NASCAR Champion Jimmie Johnson, Dale Earnhardt Jr. and Jeff Gordon to name a few. Your foot is on the gas, your hands are on the wheel and there’s no lead car to follow as you drive the NASCAR race car by yourself. Get in car radio communications with your personal racing instructor during your on track time racing session that begins when you take off down pit road and ends when you return to the pits. When you’re done, drivers receive a Graduate Certificate with top speed and souvenir racing license for bragging rights.

My wife got me this nascar driving experience

Last edited by RidesintheRain; Dec. 8, 2013 at 08:50 PM.