The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default I need some really MEAN/WITCHY, Christmas gift ideas! >;)

My sister-in-law, who is the most miserable person on earth and which I have never done anything to, HATES my guts. She treats me worse than a second-class citizen. I have tried and tried to turn the other cheek, and return all her insults with love.... but I'm tired of trying. Yesterday, at Thanksgiving dinner, was the last straw. And since I don't have a single diabolical bone in my body, and I turning to my fellow COTHer's...

I've tried talking to her, my husband and my in-laws have tried talking to her, and it only makes it worse. She has decided to make me the scape goat for all her bad decisions that she has made in her life... Making me feel like crap, somehow makes her feel better about her crappy life.

Every year at Christmas, I put a lot of time and thought and effort into everyone's gifts. I always give her something nicer than I give everyone else, like nice jewelery, clothes, etc., and she either pawns it, throws it away, never wears it, etc... And its not like I'm getting her something that is "not her style"... I pay close attention through-out the year, and get people gifts that I hear them say they want/like/need.

So I need a subtle, yet EXTREMELY mean way to let her know, how I truly feel about her, and that I no longer give a good g.d. about her. MERRY FRICKIN' CHRISTMAS!

Gift card for Good Will or Salvation Army?

I'd get her a sweatshirt with Bless Your Heart embroidered on it.
    The cheapest perfume you can find.
    A pig calendar.
    Wrap it all up in used Christmas paper.
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

Sorry, why on earth would you give her anything??

I had a difficult mother-in-law and I tried and tried to win her approval. I finally gave up, and wrote her a letter basically saying "I don't know what it is about me that you don't like, but I've tried to get your approval, and haven't, so this is to let you know I'm stopping. I will be cordial at family events, but will no longer be making an effort to send you my son's drawings, or write letters, buy gifts etc."

It was the best thing I ever did. Funnily enough, she got much nicer to me, but at that point I didn't care -- I meant what I said in the letter, I was done.

I'd urge you to do the same.

Last year's fruitcake?

Because it's fun (not that I necessarily agree) - pick a cause that she hates, and donate to it in her name.
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

Get her something from a hoarder house! Or one of those fake turds.

http://www.gagworks.com/Product.aspx...FQQ_bAod8kAfZQ

Or the gift of nothing.

http://www.amazon.com/Gift-Nothing-P.../dp/031611488X

Although seriously, why get the bitch anything? What's she going to do - like you less? And if she does, does it really matter in the scheme of things? I find the older I get the less I give a fruitbat.
    Delicious strawberry flavored death!

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

How about a self-help book?

If she's concerned/obsessed about her weight, looks, or whatever find a self-help book for that; nothing like being reminded of your flaws over the holidays, yet you can say "you were only trying to be kind and help".

Or try to find one regarding miserable people who blame others for their inner hatred

wow! I would hate to be in your position, and sounds like you are a nice person trying to be the bigger person by doing the right thing...and it hasn't worked! Curious...what does she give you?

What about a self help book? there has got to be one out there along the lines of: how not to be a bitch...or....?

how about an ugly figurine? you know the ones you can get at the dollar store some grotesque plasticy eagle with spread wings but the paint doesn't quite match the lines, or the eyes are red???

or a really crappy CD?

You must give an update on this!!! Good luck!!

check it out!

http://www.shitsenders.com/

Quote Originally Posted by SMF11 View Post

I had a difficult mother-in-law and I tried and tried to win her approval. I finally gave up, and wrote her a letter basically saying "I don't know what it is about me that you don't like, but I've tried to get your approval, and haven't, so this is to let you know I'm stopping. I will be cordial at family events, but will no longer be making an effort to send you my son's drawings, or write letters, buy gifts etc."

It was the best thing I ever did. Funnily enough, she got much nicer to me, but at that point I didn't care -- I meant what I said in the letter, I was done.

Wow! That's actually really good! good for you!

Ex-lax
    Depends
    a stripper

Oh, never mind - we were supposed to think of subtle ideas!!! lol

I'm not good at subtle, but I don't think I'd waste my time or money buying anything. She may not get subtlety and then I'd be even more disappointed.

Not really mean but if she doesn't want the gift you chose for her then make a donation in her name to a charity of your choice.

Ummmm, why give her anything?
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

A low-cal cookbook, an exercise DVD and a workout sweatsuit that's a hideous color in an XXXL.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Well, I've tried something similar, and it only made matters worse... so now, its PAYBACK time... I'm taking a whole 'nuther spin on "do unto others..."

Quote Originally Posted by MoonoverMississippi View Post
    How about a self-help book?

If she's concerned/obsessed about her weight, looks, or whatever find a self-help book for that; nothing like being reminded of your flaws over the holidays, yet you can say "you were only trying to be kind and help".

Or try to find one regarding miserable people who blame others for their inner hatred
    OMG... Good one!!!! Thats the mean and nasty I was looking for!!!! LOL She is fat, but I have gained 10 lbs this year (my pony was out of work, and so I got lazy...), so I'm sure that she could say something to the fact that I could use it myself... but I still might... That is a really good one though!!!

Drop the task into your husband's lap. Tell him you are done and that is it. Give him a dollar amount that your household was intending on spending on her (that is proper in relation to what you spend on others and an amount that YOU can live with)and don't give it another single thought. She is his sister. Let him deal with her. And I mean shopping, wrapping, etc, etc. Certainly don't reward her bad behavior by giving her nicer gifts than you give anyone else. Wash your hands of it. Divest yourself of any skin in the game, don't put any emotion into it at all, etc. After all, you can say he would know her better and the gifts you have been giving her were not hitting the mark and you care too much about your households relationship with her that you want to at least get her something she appreciates!

Better yet, give him the amount your household was going to spend on her and then tell him if he can get a holiday deal on her gift, he should reward himself for his thriftiness by buying himself something nice with the rest! Wanna bet that she gets a $15 sweater from K-mart and a candle? HAHAHAHA!

In cases like this you just have to find a way to not get emotionally involved in the situation anymore. Ask me how I know.
    Last edited by headsupheelsdown; Nov. 26, 2010 at 02:23 PM.

This. Exactly. Don't stoop to her level, it only brings you down. I mean if you can't even exchange pleasantries with this woman, why try presents at all?

BTW - Is this your brother's wife or husband's sister? Oh, I reread - so it's your husband's sister? Good, if he wants to get her something fine, if not, oh well! Why is it your job?

My husband's sister is like this too. But she and Mr LLDM have never gotten along. I tried to be kind and civil for a while just like you are, and then gave up completely. Now when my MIL tries to get everyone together, she knows it would have to be SIL's invitation. MIL knows I gave it every possible try and can't (and doesn't) blame me.

I too, am "done".

Some people just like misery.

SCFarm
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com

10lbs? So what? Give her the book, wear one of those slimming bra/tummy things, (Look SMASHING) smile, and enjoy!

I have an in law that's the same way. I ignore her for the most part at functions and give her a gift off the clearance section at Walmart. Last year I paid $1.50 for her gift. She had no clue and I spent more for my soda.

Don't buy her anything individually. If your husband buys her a gift, just tag it as being from the both of you. What will she do, throw out or return the half of the gift she thinks came from you? That way she won't have the continued satisfaction of knowing she gets to you with her wenchiness.

Years ago, my step-MIL and sister in law were going through a similar situation. SIL was just a bitch on wheels. SMIL bought her a waffle maker for Hanukkah. She got it at a thrift store, complete with the ever so slightly used look. It was awesome!

How about a good book? Maybe "How to win friends and influence people?