The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Can an adult ride a large pony in pre/baby green or even pre-adult hunter?

I was just curious, since there is a large pony that I was looking at for a project. I'm not talking about the big shows, but just the local B and C shows. Is this allowed? I used to have access to a good kid rider but I don't have that luxury at the moment.

An adult can ride a pony in the Adult Amatuer classes, so why not. Except watch out for in and outs.
    http://STA551.com
    845-363-1875

Pre Adult and pre Baby Green are 2' to 2'6" classes and not recognized nationally even if offered at USEF nationally rated shows.

Each local/regional/affiliate club that offers points for these no rated classes has their own rules and even some shows have THEIR own rules.

So read the prize list and/or go on the website of your local/regional/affiliate club that offers the points for those classes.

Offhand??? No worries.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I rode my large in the pre-adults and was slated to bring her into the A/A's until an old injury resurfaced. She had to add as a rule but if I knew I would have to push for the in-and-out, she would make it. She was a loverly mover and phenomenal jumper, now she's a goat security gaurd
    Zippos Kryptonite (Reno) 05' AQHA
    Little Miss Understood (Indy) 01' Appaloosa
    The Unturned Stone (Chase) 11' AQHA
    ~ Rescue Mom to: Hope, Ciara, Charlotte, Ace, Knox

My show mare is 14.1hh, I ride her in all the local shows, no one ever says anything, except awww look at the cute little pony!

(I don't mind)

I will say if you ride a pony, you do tend to stand out a tad compared to all the 16+ plus monsters in the ring, - so be prepared for that
    Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.

Thanks for the info! I'm not looking to gather points or anything, it's more just to give the pony the experience. I just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to get disqualified or anything.

Been there and Done that, but as an ammy. I thinkt here are rules about showing a pony as a pro and having a child ride it the same day.

Yes, you stand out more but I always foun that due to the size of the pony versus te size of the jumps, the pony jumps better than the horses over the 2;^" fences Works to your advantage. I also found that there are some judges who will be hard pressed to pin a pony with an adult against a horse.
    Save a life...be an organ donor! Visit www.Transplantbuddies.org

See USEF rule HU110.5 n the 2011 Rule Book - it will explain it all about adults showing ponies in any competition, no matter the rating. If you still question it, PM me and I will explain further, being that I deal with this kind of thing all the time as a Steward.

My ponies were my best friends for Long Stirrup, Pre-Adult, Limit Rider and the Adult Modified divisions. In our area, that means 2'6" or lower, and no in-and-outs. We even did some A and AA shows. If you want to do more, check the rules. I remember Zone 4 as being very pony-friendly.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Quote Originally Posted by BAB View Post
    See USEF rule HU110.5 n the 2011 Rule Book - it will explain it all about adults showing ponies in any competition, no matter the rating. If you still question it, PM me and I will explain further, being that I deal with this kind of thing all the time as a Steward.
    Will you post a link to that rule? Flash Jr outgrew his pony, and I was contemplating switching to Western so that I can show her, or scouting around for schooling shows where I could ride his pony. Funny, the Western nonbreed shows don't care what an adult rides.