The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Questions for Carhartt lovers

OK-are Carhartt coats REALLY that warm?

I know they are durable but really honestly WARM?

The arctic style is listed as the warmest and the one I am considering.

Ladies-do you prefer women's or men's coats?

Same with the bib overall-are they WARM?

Do you prefer the men's or ladies version-I am worried the slimmer waist on the ladies won't allow much layering under?

If you are a nay to Carhartt, what do you prefer and why?

Love Carhartt.I can throw them on in the a.m. for morning feeding over my pj's if I really want to and no matter how cold it is I am toasty. If you are worried about fit , try them on first. A mans small works just as well as the ladies and is a little boxier fit then the ladies.If it just doesn't get that cold where you are a vest should suffice.
    Speak kind words,receive kind echos

Love the bibs! They kept me warm while nightwatching in the cold, blowing snow. The jacket I have from another farm is thin but it's big enough that I can wear a thick sweatshirt and still move my arms.

Warm enough that I was comfortable standing around outside in 20F weather all day at work wearing the arctic Carhart bibs and coat over jeans and a sweatshirt (northern Michigan in January). And I get cold easily.

Actually, the arctic ones ended up being too warm for me. It doesn't really get below 0F where I live and I move around quite a bit on the farm, so I have the lightest weight bib/jacket set and wear a fleece under the coat.

I did get the bib overalls one size bigger than my jeans so I have room to wear a fleece top under the bibs and tuck it in past my hips. It's surprising how much it helps to not have cold air whistling up your back.
    ---------------------------

I have a carhart "sweatshirt"--not a sweatshirt at all, but a carhart canvas hoodie. Darn thing is too warm for me to wear it during most of our admittedly mild GA winters so I seldom zip it up. But I do zip it up when its 25 degrees and blustery. Its over ten years old and merely the waffled lining, nothing fancy and I'm sure its not what they consider to be arctic grade.

Tractor Supply has a pretty good selection of Carhart stuff.

Love Carhartt but are pricey. I have some made by Berne and JJ Ranchwear too. Less expensive and just as warm.

I LOVE the bibs. Warm and toasty and if too warm you can drop a strap to open half the bib. Or unzip it. Oh and of course insulated.

I also really like to have the legs have zippers in them. Makes them easier to get on and off over boots.

I would suggest trying some on. I liked the straps on my Carharts better than the JJ I have right now. I "out grew" my Carharts. The JJ are womens and do fit better and I am a bit "curvy" now. But like I said, I liked the straps on the Carharts better. Also to see which kind of lining you like.

I am in OK so while it doesn't get wicked cold we do have wicked wind that blows right thru you. Our windchills can easily get to the single digits and occassionally to the negs.

I have a Carhat jacket--mens. It is a zip up; it was suggested to me to go with zip instead of just snaps. It has a placket over the zipper that snaps if I need it. And there are times with the wind I do.

I am not a hoody person so can't comment on them.

Carharts also wear like iron. I got a coat and bibs for my hubby about 10 yrs ago. He has worn holes in the bibs due to welding and such. I refuse to patch them anymore and have even bought him 2 other pairs. I can't hardly get him out his old carharts though!!

Carhartts are $20/$30 off at Orschelin right now this morning, Black Friday sale.

I think it is the fact that the fabric is impenetrable that makes them toasty.

Interestingly, I once asked a horse friend that was from France what item was most requested for her to bring back from the U.S. when she went home for family visits. Her answer was quick - Carhartts!
    About the only time losing is more fun than winning is when you're fighting temptation.
    -- Tom Wilson, actor & comedian

Quote Originally Posted by WildBlue View Post
    Warm enough that I was comfortable standing around outside in 20F weather all day at work wearing the arctic Carhart bibs and coat over jeans and a sweatshirt (northern Michigan in January). And I get cold easily.
    Just a thought, have you ever considered moving south?

This is my favourite Berne model (they have a nice fleece lined ladies vest too) http://www.bernedirect.com/Original-...ece-Lined.html

Men's coats have the pleats at the shoulders and elbows that make them easier to move around in.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Default Carhartts

I live in mine. I have the bib and the full coverage ones. Wear my pj's under them and stay plenty toasty. I do not think that they are that pricey, considering I have had 1 pair for almost 10 yrs.

They come in levels of warmth. Mr. Wings practically lives in his full coveralls in the winter. Right now, he's sporting just a jacket.

They are incredibly durable as well.
    "If you would have only one day to live, you should spend at least half of it in the saddle."

LOVE my insulated bibs! I also have the insulated jackat as well, and what I appreciate about the jacket is that the armpits have this extra piece of material sewn in so when you have to lift your arms high or throw a bale, the jacket doesn't ride up!

my bibs are sooooo warm! I had no problems keeping super toasty for two hours when it hit -54 outside last year! yes I said -54!!!!!!!!!! my eyes were sticking together it was so cold, but I was nice and warm!!! I give a big WOOOOOT for my carhartts! I can be outside in them all day, which I do when i go ice fishing! I think they are worth the money, and when you think about it, for $120 on the bibs and $150 for the jacket that's a pretty good investment, since the still look new, five years later.....

Are the bibs true to size?

In other words if a size 4 carhartt jean 'fits' me but I want room to layer under the bibs should I go up a size?

I check TSC and no Carhartt bibs....did find a nice jacket at Ace.

This is the best place to buy Carharts; http://www.sierratradingpost.com/sea...criptions=True
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Default Yes = sometimes too warm for me ~ IMHO

YES ! almost too warm for me at times ~ I use a * Carhartt vest in the barn working = coat is too warm ~
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

I just called Carhartt and they suggest going up TWO sizes for the lined bibs?

Anyone?

I ordered mine online as well, but I went to a Mark's work wearhouse to find the right size, and I highly recommend you do the same. I tried on 3 different sizes before I found the ones that worked for me. Plus you might see ones that you like better in the store.

I am 5'9" 135lbs. My insulated mens bibs are size 32" x 34" the cuffs do drag a bit when I wear a smaller boots like rubbers, but when I wear my good kodiak winter boots they fit perfect. Just think about what you will be wearing underneath...I can fit a thicker hoody underneath my covey's and still feel comfortable and there are buttons on the side you can do up if you choose to. Hope that helps good Luck!

Oh I forgot to ad, if you are buying mens...which I did(the womens were hideous) the legs will be wider than the womens...and my regular size for jeans are 28" x 33" I find my bibs to be loose in the leg, so enough room for a nice pair of sweats or thermals with the sweats. But they aren't so loose that they impede movement. lol for some reason I am so excited for you!! I mean it when I say I really love my Carhartts!!! lol

The coats are great but I have to say I don't know what I would do without my bibs. They are the best things EVER. They are the only reason I get excited about winter. I can wear sweat pants or long johns under them and it is so comfortable and the cold can not touch you! Definitely recommend them. I got the womens and they are great, fit much nicer then that mens.