The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Idiopathic swelling of mandible? Anyone else?

Have an otherwise healthy horse who's got this odd, pitting edema that appears in an irregular pattern on both of his 'cheeks' or the flat portion of his mandibles. Not itchy, not, painful or even sensitive. Unresponsive to banamine. Goes down after riding some, but not 100%. Seems to occur moreso when in from t/o (he's in a stone dust pen eating the same hay he eats in his stall). Negative for Lyme in october but we've pulled blood and sent it off Tuesday for a recheck.

Incidental, and likely unrelated very mild stumbling incident/s (2) in the past 3 months, most recent about 8 days ago where it was barely noticeable. Three months ago, the stumble took him to his knees. No neurological symptoms, ie: tail pull, cross over, circling, etc. all negative. Also testing for EPSM though horse doesn't show classic signs (inability to travel down hill, difficult canter transitions, etc.)

However horse is a bit 'tight' all over and lives on e/ Se.

IMHO, he's become more crabby in the past 2 or 3 months, and intermittently looks like he's hurting all over. You know how a horse who's backsore looks.

Just had the vet out who concluded he's mildly sore in a stifle, but will return when he's got more time to block it, and do a complete exam.

Suggestions? Thoughts?

X-Ray its jaw asap. Might be small abcesses in jaw. If not, there has to be something causing the swelling anyway so worth to xray and see.
    And it might not 'hurt' much when touching but still influence your horse's way of going undersaddle; being stiff and reluctant. Might be fighting an infection and thus being dull.

Sound like he's fighting something - jaw/tooth infections, or Lyme disease? I would have the vet do a blood titre for Lyme and draw blood to look for everything else. That will give you good information about systemic disease, if any. I would suspect something like Lyme or other tick-borne disease, myself. Let us know what the vet says, I am curious.
    Airborne? Oh. Yes, he can take a joke. Once. After that, the joke's on you.

Can you post a picture? Maybe it is swelling creeping across the mandible from an inflamed parotid salivary gland, sialolith or sialocele... thats just from the mental picture I've made from your description, but maybe in real life it looks different than what I am thinking of.

No photos, sorry.. The swelling has irregular, thick, edges. Kinda like a starfish legs at some points, other edges are smooth. It's on the exterior of the mandible, doesn't migrate to between or under his throatlatch, and pits. It can be as little or 'wide' apart as 2 - 6".

My vet is stumped. Has nothing to do with the salivary glads, btw.

Maybe something like rubber jaw in cattle? Ha ha! Have you gotten radiographs? Are you sure your diet's Ca:P ratio is reasonable?

Mine does this several times a year. Never any warning or reason. Did it yesterday for the first time this year. Both sides. Another horse came in this afternoon the same way. Not near each other and in different pastures.There are @30 horses at barn and no one else affected. It does occasionally extend down the throatlatch area. No pain or other issues associated that we have found.
    Equus13 This is my happy face