The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Vertical Hoof Wall Cracks- with blood?

ok. This paint mare was brought to my barn and the owner is a teenage girl. From what I understand the horse has been lame since she's gotten it (she thinks it was doped or something when she went to look at it.). ANYWAY. I was asked to look at it because I asked a few questions and I am the type to not settle when people's answers don't paint a complete picture.
    A vet looked at her, and supposedly the vet was going to do a temporary nerve block for diagnosis purposes. I didn't get a clear answer whether the nerve block was even performed, let alone what area they were targeting and whether it was successful.

SO. I didn't get to look at her right away, but I noticed that she tends to walk on her toe on the foot in question. Which I thought was odd. So immediately I think some sort of strong and deep frog infection, but why wouldn't a vet notice that?
    I finally looked closer at her because I noticed these cracks in her hoof wall. Her whole leg is white and her hoof is normal pure white type of hoof. On the front (and a little to the inside) of her hoof wall there are 3 fine cracks (perhaps what you would call sand cracks). They do not go the whole length of the foot, but start about 3/4 inch from the bottom and then go up to the coronary band. The three cracks are very close to each other and do not touch at any point in time- they run completely parallel to each other. I would say each one is about 1/4 inch from each other. What really caught my eye is that the hoof wall is 'stained' red around the cracks...very similar to what you would see in a bruise.

I never saw that on a hoof wall. I've had horses with white hooves, and occasionally you'd see a little bruising under the surface that would grow out, but with the cracks it really concerns me.

There is a slight amount of heat in her heel on the same foot, and though she doesn't have any apparant infection in her frog.

Has anyone seen cracks with bruises like this on the wall?

Thanks!

Superficial surface cracks on hoof walls are not normally a problem in terms of soundness. If she is long term heel sore, her awkward way of moving may have had something to do with the development of these cracks. But it sounds like the primrary problem may be in the heel, from your post.

As to how a vet may have missed this... there are vets and there are vets. Quality of a vet is not a guaranteed thing. One would need to explore the nature of the situation in the heel, either an infection, or something more sinister, such as a navicular syndrome problem, which may or may not be able to be improved. Some xrays of the foot are one possibility that may be helpful. Hoof testers may also be useful to locate the problem. A nerve block would not be called for if the hoof testers find the problem.

Paint breeding practices sometimes result in very upright feet and leg columns, which can also be invovled in soundness issues with these horses.

Red/bruising in the wall, and cracks, often go hand in hand with unbalanced trimming which results in unequal pressure which is the cause of the cracks/bruising.

I have a ton of white hooves on my farm - generally the red stain as you say usually is displayed when some type of stress is apparent in the hoof wall - if black hooves weren't black - you'd be able to see the same.

I'd be more concerned with why she is walking like that, and get a pair of hoof testers on her for sure - and check her heels as well as the footing, etc. As well as getting a farrier out for an expert eye - to see how she is moving.
    If he can't find an issue well.. my next move would be to ask for an xray.
    Quote Originally Posted by ExJumper View Post
    Sometimes I'm thrown off, sometimes I'm bucked off, sometimes I simply fall off, and sometimes I go down with the ship. All of these are valid ways to part company with your horse.

SO. I didn't get to look at her right away, but I noticed that she tends to walk on her toe on the foot in question. On the front (and a little to the inside) of her hoof wall there are 3 fine cracks (perhaps what you would call sand cracks). They do not go the whole length of the foot, but start about 3/4 inch from the bottom and then go up to the coronary band. The three cracks are very close to each other and do not touch at any point in time- they run completely parallel to each other. I would say each one is about 1/4 inch from each other. What really caught my eye is that the hoof wall is 'stained' red around the cracks...very similar to what you would see in a bruise.

Sounds like really superficial cracks caused possibly by walking on her toe as opposed to setting her foot down flat. Sounds like biggest problem is in heel area....could be bruising, just overgrown, or something more serious. Not that unusual to see some "staining" around superficial cracks if the horse has been on soil that is high in iron or other staining materials. I would be getting a good farrier to check her out, deal with heel area issues if nothing terribly serious and possibly put a "mustang roll" on toe/front of hoof to decrease pressure on those laminae until the cracks grow out.

Quote Originally Posted by smartchance View Post
    ok. This paint mare was brought to my barn and the owner is a teenage girl. From what I understand the horse has been lame since she's gotten it (she thinks it was doped or something when she went to look at it.). ANYWAY. I was asked to look at it because I asked a few questions and I am the type to not settle when people's answers don't paint a complete picture.
    A vet looked at her, and supposedly the vet was going to do a temporary nerve block for diagnosis purposes. I didn't get a clear answer whether the nerve block was even performed, let alone what area they were targeting and whether it was successful.

SO. I didn't get to look at her right away, but I noticed that she tends to walk on her toe on the foot in question. Which I thought was odd. So immediately I think some sort of strong and deep frog infection, but why wouldn't a vet notice that?
    I finally looked closer at her because I noticed these cracks in her hoof wall. Her whole leg is white and her hoof is normal pure white type of hoof. On the front (and a little to the inside) of her hoof wall there are 3 fine cracks (perhaps what you would call sand cracks). They do not go the whole length of the foot, but start about 3/4 inch from the bottom and then go up to the coronary band. The three cracks are very close to each other and do not touch at any point in time- they run completely parallel to each other. I would say each one is about 1/4 inch from each other. What really caught my eye is that the hoof wall is 'stained' red around the cracks...very similar to what you would see in a bruise.

I never saw that on a hoof wall. I've had horses with white hooves, and occasionally you'd see a little bruising under the surface that would grow out, but with the cracks it really concerns me.

There is a slight amount of heat in her heel on the same foot, and though she doesn't have any apparant infection in her frog.

Has anyone seen cracks with bruises like this on the wall?

Thanks!
    get a qualifed farrier out pronto and go here for advice
    www.horseshoes.com its full of farriers post pics front back sides and underneath and dont let anyone ride the horse until she has the support off all her legs