The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Reasons to Not Use Marijuana

I never have any good reasons to why someone should not use marijuana. Being a college student, I am surrounded by people who do use marijuana. I'd love to explain to them why marijuana is bad but I never know what to say except for "don't do drugs" "drugs are bad" "be cool, stay in school" etc. I know I won't sway their decisions, but when I get into a discussion with others I don't have a good argument. Anyone have any good arguments, maybe even convincing arguments?

Because unless you're Bob Marley it makes you an idiot.

Because they'll get the munchies and end up gaining weight.

Truthfully...I'd rather pot be legal and alchohol banned. And I don't smoke pot (since I was a teen.). But I know that people that are stoned don't usually get rowdy and fight, go commit acts of vandalism or want to get in a car and drive fast. Usually they just want to listen to music, try to talk to their friends about things in depth and eat junk food. You don't hear of people getting stoned and abusing their wives after the Super Bowl.

Quote Originally Posted by JetsGlitterNGold View Post
    I never have any good reasons to why someone should not use marijuana.
    Perhaps that's because it's a fairly innocuous drug, and should be decriminalized, if not legalized? Personally, I don't partake, but I don't feel any desire to tell others not to. I see it as being less problematic than alcohol - used in moderation, it's pretty harmless. JMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
    Perhaps that's because it's a fairly innocuous drug, and should be decriminalized, if not legalized? Personally, I don't partake, but I don't feel any desire to tell others not to. I see it as being less problematic than alcohol - used in moderation, it's pretty harmless. JMHO.
    Ditto.

I don't think you need to give any poignant reason not to use it. If your friends question you about it, you should find new friends.

I fully support legalization on the basis that it will thwart the Mexican agenda, and divert the billions of dollars that would have vanished into foreign countries back into this country.

People who smoke lots and lots of pot tend to do nothing with their lives.

People who smoke a little pot every now and then have nothing to worry about.
    Copyright ©2007-2012, Percheron X
    My creative work may be used on the COTH forum only.

Well, my brother started off on pot. He's been in prison for the last... 5? years. Started with marijuana, moved on to harder stuff, ended up committing lots of burglaries to pay for his habit. Maybe it'll happen to you, maybe it won't, but is it really worth the risk?

I don't buy into the gateway drug thing...personally, I think it's a "Drug War" myth. I know plenty of smokers who have never used anything "harder" than marijuana, as well as folks with problems with harder drugs who have never smoked pot.

Conversely, I believe that another consequence of the "Drug War" propaganda is that current drug education paints marijuana with the same broad stroke as inarguably dangerous drugs like coke and meth. So when kids who are taught that "All Drugs Are Bad" learn through experience that marijuana doesn't turn them into crazed drug-fiend criminals, it is logical for them to assume that other illegal drugs won't either. Unfortunately, other illegal drugs have much more power over a user. So consequently, I think that "gateway" drug problems are actually perpetuated by the illegality of pot - if it were legalized and considered socially acceptable, there would be a wider perceived gap between marijuana use and the use of the kind of drugs that control one's life and motivate other criminal activity.

The problem is so many people don't use it moderation. Of course in college alcohol intake often isn't moderated as well. I agree that pot is harmless in small amounts and that most people high on pot are just interested in sitting around and listening to music. So many people I know smoke pot a few times and then all of a sudden are smoking everyday, multiple times a day. Surely that's not good for you right? Even if it's just the principle that too much of a good thing is bad. It just seems that there are a good number of people that I know who think it's okay to smoke every night and all day during the weekends. I know it shouldn't bother me as much as it does, but I can't help it.

(Can you tell I was never the kid to do naughty things?)

There isn't a study you can point to and say, here, marijuana screws you up, but at least for heavy long-term users there are some retrospective (and prospective in animal trials) recent studies that show some negative effects on the brain, particularly where memory is involved.

Now, is the average casual user at risk? Most likely not, so the only danger would be risking getting caught and expelled, or getting involved with the legal system depending on your jurisdiction. To me that frankly wouldn't be worth the risk.

But from a medical standpoint for a casual user the risk is likely slim to none. After all, heavy long-term alcohol use actually shrinks your brain, and kills your liver, and withdrawal from it is widely considered more dangerous than from any illegal drug, but alcohol's legal.

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Or partoke as a friend of mine used to say
    The Evil Chem Prof

Even if it's just the principle that too much of a good thing is bad.
    If you are concerned about your friends smoking all day every day, this is probably a better approach to take than "don't smoke pot" if you feel a compelling urge to discuss it with them. Otherwise, I'd say, best to MYOB.

If smoked on a consistent basis, the tar etc is more damaging to your lungs than cigs. That being said, most people do not smoke it in the quantity usually associated with cig smoking.

Vandy I think you might have a point. I do believe pot to be a gateway drug (along with alcohol and cigarettes) though. Not for all of course, but I think it is rare someone jumps immediately from no alcohol, no cigarettes, to coke, meth, or heroine, for example. They usually start with one of those three prior, whether it be alcohol, smokes, or pot, then experiment from there. However a great many people also use and abuse either (or all) alcohol, smokes, or marijuana without ever making that jump...but it is still rare someone makes the jump without involving any of those three. Hence their being "gateway drugs".

That said, I think you have a point in that when kids are taught "all drugs are bad" and they learn that marijuana isn't really all that harmful, that it then further lends to their testing other, potentially more harmful, drugs. Maybe instead we should be teaching kids which drugs are most harmful and the various effects of the drugs out there, regardless of their legality?

Personally I do not really have a problem with marijuana, especially when used in moderation. I am not so convinced it should be legalised however. THC content in marijuana nowadays is much higher than it used to be (up to 14 percent in some seized stashes in BC, though an average of 7 or so percent up here in Canda and especially Alberta, which is up from the 1-3 percent years ago) and unless someone is a regular pothead, it has a pretty strong effect on most people. I certainly do not like knowing certain people are driving our roads on it when it affects them so adversely. Otherwise, I think it is one of the least harmful drugs out there and though I am careful on my thoughts about it and who I associate with who might be doing it, I do not automatically judge someone for using it, especially if it is done in moderation. There are a lot of working professionals out there who will use a little after a long day's work.

ETA: I've heard of those studies on its adverse effects to LT memory as well, and because a joint does not have a filter, you are inhaling hotter and thus more harmful air into your lungs on inspiration. For the casual use though, I can't really see any proven harmful LT effects. I do know some long-term hardcore users (think: 30-35years+) too though who seem perfectly healthy with no adverse effects.
    ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Quote Originally Posted by naturalequus View Post
    That said, I think you have a point in that when kids are taught "all drugs are bad" and they learn that marijuana isn't really all that harmful, that it then further lends to their testing other, potentially more harmful, drugs. Maybe instead we should be teaching kids which drugs are most harmful and the various effects of the drugs out there, regardless of their legality?
    I totally agree that better, more honest, drug education would be a big step in the right direction!

I have personally known a LOT of responsible adult professionals who enjoy "partoking" in moderation. Doctors, lawyers, teachers, etc. Folks who are neither lazy potheads, nor use any other drugs. It doesn't seem to affect their judgement or their professional lives. It is the nature of teens/college students to be excessive...but most will grow out of the "pothead" phase.

Re: potency - we all know that drinking a beer is different than having a triple shot of Tequila, right? If marijuana were legalized, THC content would undoubtedly be controlled and advertised, unlike now when users buy it from an unregulated dealer.

Yup, I agree wholeheartedly with EVERYTHING you just outlined!

As for the legalization, you know what, you might be right. Might also prevent the drug from being cut with other (actually dangerous) drugs, chemicals, etc and sold as "pure" by the dishonest dealer. Perhaps they could legalize it but in such a way that people could not operate motorized vehicles and heavy equipment while using it, much the same as with alcohol?
    ....horses should be trained in such a way that they not only love their riders, but look forward to the time they are with them.
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.

Quote Originally Posted by naturalequus View Post
    Perhaps they could legalize it but in such a way that people could not operate motorized vehicles and heavy equipment while using it, much the same as with alcohol?
    That would be great, and I think anyone with half a brain would get behind that, but...the problem is, marijuana remains detectable in your body a lot longer than alcohol. In fact, a tox screen will pick it up LONG after the effects are over, weeks after smoking. Not sure how to get around this...hopefully drug testing will become more sophisticated so that "stoned driving" could be accurately detected.

Most people I know who smoke pot think they drive better when they are high.

Most people I know who smoke pot think they drive better when they are high.

Most people who drink do, too
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

That would be great, and I think anyone with half a brain would get behind that, but...the problem is, marijuana remains detectable in your body a lot longer than alcohol. In fact, a tox screen will pick it up LONG after the effects are over, weeks after smoking. Not sure how to get around this...hopefully drug testing will become more sophisticated so that "stoned driving" could be accurately detected.
    I know, I can't think of a way they could regulate and enforce not getting behind the wheel after smoking in the absence of more sophisticated testing...

It's the reason I never thought it was fair to drug test at work and reprimand someone for marijuana being detected in their blood or urine if they say smoked it last night - what they do on their own time should be their perogative provided it does not affect their work (ie. smoked immediately prior to work or such).

So then we're looking at the benefits of legalizing it (yet having people driving stoned and having no way of enforcing a no-driving-stoned law) versus the benefits of keeping it illegal (and having people still driving stoned, but with a clearer line drawn, if that makes sense)...
    ~ Xenophon, 350 B.C.