The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How poor are you?

I will be debt free in a few years..but damn, between , debt payments, retirement savings, expensive rent, parking and horses, the gym and meds...I am BROKE..thank god for overdraft

discuss..

I have no debt because I insist on paying everything off and not getting myself in over my head. Because of that my bank account tends to range very very low. I guess there are ups and downs to everything
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Retirement savings? You're obviously not as poor as I am At least I'm getting equity on the farm that would appraise at half of what I bought it for 5 years ago, right? At least I can joke about it, but only because joking is free.

I have a small amount (under 2k) of debt from a credit card in college. No student loans though! I have next to nothing in my bank account b/c I refuse to charge anything more. I have sold every single horsey thing I dont need or wont use in the next few years (just had a child). It has made it possible for me to be a stay at home mom (for now). We dont spend money on anything fancy that we dont need, but we buy the highest quality of each item that we can possibly afford. Lifes good.
    ---^v---^v---^v----------------------^v---^v---^v---
    For a moment there, you bored me to death

Poor (although not as poor as we used to be ) but very happy.

Our mortgage is manageable and now, 15 months after selling our retail business, things are way better... indeed pinkme, life is good
    where am I, what day is it, am I still having a good time?

Pretty freaking poor! But we have a roof over our heads, the ponies are fed and the electric is still on. Two years after losing my job, there's light at the end of the tunnel and I graduate LPN school in a few weeks. I'll be so happy to work full-time again and look forward to a time when I don't have to watch every penny.

Quote Originally Posted by shakeytails View Post
    Pretty freaking poor! But we have a roof over our heads, the ponies are fed and the electric is still on. Two years after losing my job, there's light at the end of the tunnel and I graduate LPN school in a few weeks. I'll be so happy to work full-time again and look forward to a time when I don't have to watch every penny.
    Unemployed as well AND thinking about doing the same thing...LPN school.

Any advice?
    "For God hates utterly
    The bray of bragging tongues."
    Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders

Quote Originally Posted by Oldenburg Mom View Post

Any advice?
    One of my niece's graduated this past spring with her LPN degree and found a job fairly quickly. (About a month ago) It was a two year course.

Here in CT she started at $22.00, plus the Rehabilitation/Nursing home will help pay for most of her tuition toward her RN degree.
    Not bad pay for 23 yr old...

This is a pretty good forum for information:
    http://allnurses.com/

Many thanks, Huntertwo. I'll take a look... good luck too!!
    "For God hates utterly
    The bray of bragging tongues."
    Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders

Any advice?
    Yeah, don't do it!!

Seriously, it will take up all of your time if it's anything like the school where I went. You will have no life for 1-2 years or however long your program is. My horses barely knew who I was until this last semester. Other schools aren't so bad from what I've heard.

Another thing I've been hearing is it's easier to get a job as a new LPN than a new RN. So, I'll get a job and work for a while and get my RN mostly online though a fairly local community college.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandy View Post
    Retirement savings? You're obviously not as poor as I am At least I'm getting equity on the farm that would appraise at half of what I bought it for 5 years ago, right? At least I can joke about it, but only because joking is free.
    I know! My husband and I are in our mid forties and all we have for retirement is the equity in our house which is worth far less than it was a few years ago. We are lucky in the fact that we have about 80% equity right now. We have three children and tuition bills, so there's no money going into the retirement fund for the next few years. I worry about our future a lot. We're going to have to make some really smart decisions when we sell our home in about five years if we're going to stay out of the soup kitchens and work 'til we're dead basically.
    "You can't blame other people. You can't always say what happened wasn't my fault, and you know what? Even if you have an excuse, shut up. "Bruce Davidson Sr.

Things are okay...however my morale is taking a hit what with unexpected expenses for this and that. I conserve in order to plan for the unexpected, but it's never enough. Just always some bs random thing. Paying down credit cards but the bs random things keep reeling us back in.
    Any time someone talks about their horse in a bar, there's love in the room.

We pay rent , own a horse and have two small dogs . We work several part time jobs . I know it is not great but we pay our bills . I cook so I wait for the flyers and buy stuff on sale . Then I make lots of chili . cabbage rolls etc . Money isn't there for us for us but we are happy . I just make extra when I cook and I give to others and the Karma is returned over and over. Always be nice to others .

$22 an hour as an LPN? Maybe I ought to change careers! (I am a small animal emergency veterinarian with 30 yrs experience!)

Hubby is retired. I obviously work. We have our own farm with large mortgage, etc. 6 horses, etc. Not much left at the end of the month. Need new glasses/contacts, other my health stuff. But horses are cared for. ;-)

We are not poor. My husband is a retired university professor, he's 74, I'm 65, I was mostly a stay at home mom, then ran a barn with about 20 horses, did a lot of beginner lessons. I didn't make any money but I supported my horses and had a lot of fun. Now I am 'retired' too. We have two pensions and social security, and thank god there were good medical benefits, as I had cancer. We rent a smaller two bedroom apartment and board my horse at a local barn. No debts except a small car payment, no credit cards, one old car [1995 Lincoln] and one newer car [Honda]. I buy our clothing at secondhand stores or Wal-Mart, my riding stuff is Dover's basic gear. We don't eat out a lot, I am a good cook and we are careful not to let food spoil, etc. If our health stays OK we will do fine. My sister and I share the horse, our saddle is second hand. We are having a lot of fun.

I would hate to be a worker today, and have to worry about retirement. But trust me, if you are healthy, you are blessed.

Pretty cash strapped. Husband's business has a lot of money tied up in accounts receivables, waiting for payments from customers that WILL pay but are just taking their sweet time.

No savings or retirement as of yet, but trying to pay off debt as fast as possible.

Things get scary sometimes, but we're trying!
    "Look, I'm trying not to test the durability of the arena with my face!" (Because only GM can do that.)

Pretty broke. I can pay my bills, no problem, but I rarely have anything left over. I look forward to getting older and growing out of the broke 20s phase. Yeah, I know, that may be wishful thinking, but don't kill my dreams just yet.
    "Are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn. I can yawn, because I ride better than you. Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn. But you? Not so much..."
    -George Morris

Any advice?
    I'm doing that. Sort of. I was in the middle of working my way slowly towards a bachelor's in biochemistry while working full-time, got laid off and just transferred to a career college to get a degree as a Surgical Tech. I figure that will get me back into the workforce, and I am really enjoying it- more than I thought I would (who knows? I may decide to do that forever). I figure that once I become gainfully employed again, and get my finances back in pre-layoff condition, I can resume chipping away at the bachelor's degree.

I had originally WANTED to graduate debt-free by taking only as many classes as I could afford to pay off immediately while working (I loved my job). But then the whole job-loss thing threw a wrench in my plans, and when I couldn't find another job right away, I started to panic. So I broke down and took out student loans for this program, but I figure that one year of student loans still beats 4 year of student loans.

So yeah. BROKE. I am back to living with my parents so I can afford my horses. But I have to keep reminding myself that it is not for forever. Just temporary.

Quote Originally Posted by MeghanDACVA View Post
    $22 an hour as an LPN? Maybe I ought to change careers! (I am a small animal emergency veterinarian with 30 yrs experience!)
    Yes, she started at $22.00 an hour...Cripes, more that I make!!!
    We are in CT, so typically higher wages, but equals out because of higher cost of living.

It was demanding two years, but definitely worth it.
    She is working at a Rehab/Nursing home, but generally Hospitals pay more.

Well, I tried to start a new business and it didn't work. Of course, this happened at the same time as the economy tanked and my existing clients all had less to spend. We had two really terrible years and came out of it with a lot of debt. It was more than just the money -- I was royally screwed over by someone who I worked with on this for two years and the betrayal really got me down. Plus, this business was something I'd dreamed about starting. It's still on my back burner but I can't afford to spend any more time or money on it.

If I could do it over again . . . well, let's just say that I would have made different decisions. Of course hindsight is 20/20 and moving forward I will be much more conservative about how I spend business development monies.

I've been working non stop and am clawing my way back to solvency. We do have retirement savings, so that's a comfort but it's been very stressful and I'll need to keep working for a long time to get back to where we were.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.