The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 2001 Antares, Deal or No Deal?

Is $1,500 a reasonable price for a 2001 Antares in fair condition? With some oil it would perk up nicely.
    Fits me, fits the horse. I don't NEED it, but if it is a reasonable price I would consider buying it to replace my 5 year old non Antares. I don't buy based on a label. But a friend has an Antares and suggested I at least take this one home to try it.

Depends ... how difficult is your horse to fit? is this an off the rack Antares or customized? (this goes back to fit issue) - I've seen some very nice condition Antares in the $2K range (IF you're OK with onine saddle shopping - the ones local to me are in the $3.5K+ range) ...

OTOH a saddle that fits you & your horse & you have the opportunity to test ride without paying shipping fees & sales taxes may be the best deal going - I would have someone assess the tree & panels as this is rather more important than how pretty the leather looks: also check the seat seams for wear as split seats don't repair well & are $600 - $800 to replace.

$1500 doesn't buy much in saddles these days unless you find a good deal so I'd buy it in a minute

I'd buy it!!
    Quote Originally Posted by tidy rabbit View Post
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

If you don't buy it, let me know where it is! I have a friend who's been looking forever for an affordable Antares.

Thanks, all! Right now, it is in my living room. No shipping, as I got it from the local tack shop while Xmas shopping for others this week. . Nothing says Christmas better than me finding something for me. Yikes.
    The seams/stitching etc are all dandy fine, tree good. No repairs needed to any leather or stitching. No stains, no scratches from barn cats roosting on it.
    Per the info stamped on the underside, and through the help of Antares decoding info by prior Chronicle posters, this was a custom saddle, for some lucky person. That person just didn't take care of it, and 9 years of hard riding have taken its toll.
    I rode in it the day I got it, hacked, jumped. Horse is an easy fit for a saddle, this saddle is not a funky custom design - the codes equal average panels, tree, flap. Not a calfskin like my current saddle, but now I'm pushing the Wish List.
    Would I be perceived as jerk to offer $1,250 due to the condition and age?

It cannot hurt to make a reasonable offer.

I'd offer $1300 - depending on the tack shop, commission will be 20 - 40% so if you want the saddle don't go too low, unless you're reasonably certain that no one else is likely to want it

I recently bought a saddle at a local tack shop & just paid the asking price as the shop has been wonderful with letting us take many saddles on trial for extended periods of time.

Default 2001 Antares: Done Deal

The seller accepted my $1,300 offer.
    Now, let the reconditioning of the leather begin!!
    Thank you, everyone for the great advice.