The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone else not really doing Thanksgiving?

We're stuck due to weather and just having a regular day. I'm not cooking anything in particular. I just got off the phone with my sister who was detailing her made from scratch things she was doing and I just couldn't relate or bring myself to care. Supper will probably be chicken and some sweet potatoes on the side. Maybe I'll get real ambitious and light a candle. I'm just not that into it. Going to head to the barn later and spoil the horse. Anyone else just not feelin it?
    Any time someone talks about their horse in a bar, there's love in the room.

Um yeah! No thanksgiving for me. I had beans on toast for dinner. And not a freaking phone call from home. Oh well not much I can do about it.

Terri
    COTH, keeping popcorn growers in business for years.

"I need your grace to remind me to find my own." Snow Patrol-Chasing Cars. This line reminds me why I have horses.

After 24 years of obligatory company due to (now deceased) MIL and her sister moving to our town, we are "taking a year off from Thanksgiving and Christmas." We will see how it goes, and adjust if necessary. I have some food going in the slow cooker, went to the stable to check on my boys, and am enjoying COTH OT day. Much better than last year!
    It's 2015. Do you know where your old horse is?

Had lunch with a riding friend who couldn't go home for the weekend. To me part of doing Thanksgiving is doing the COTH invasion, reading the Canadian posts but I still have no web access. Am doing my best with my mobile access.
    Founder of the People Who Prefer COTH Over FB Clique
    People Who Hate to Rush to Kill Wildlife Clique!
    "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique

Not feelin' it at all this year. Going to friend's for dinner. If she hadn't invited us, it would probably be cheese, crackers, and tomato soup.
    "And I will be an embarrassment to all
    Who have not found the peace in being free
    to have a horse as a best friend."

Nope. Not at all....

But I am British
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Default Just a day off, but..

I heated up a small honey baked ham and had crock pot veggie soup going since last night. Sis came over and DH, sis and I had hot veggie soup and ham sandwiches, which was great since it rained all day. I'm NOT complaining about the rain, we need it. The Big Horse, was outside grazing in the warm rain most of the day, brought him in about 5 and tucked him and all the barn cats in for the night. Watched both the obligatory Macy's parade (the Rockettes still rock) and Miracle on 34th Street (the old black and white version)

Thus concludes our holiday programming.

We did however, open some really good pink champagne, just because we could, and it IS raining.

Works for me.

It's just the two of us, and while I am making a nice dinner, we're not doing anything special. Mike went duck hunting this morning while I hung with the menagerie. Now we're watching a few old movies. We're not technically snowed in, but the roads are shit and it's cold for around here.

Mostly I'm just sad that I haven't been able to bring my new gelding home from the boarding barn yet because of how bad the roads are. Mike keeps reminding me that the daily board is WAY cheaper than losing the horse/trailer/truck/me in a wreck, but I still bad for poor Digger hanging out in a cold barn without us.

A half hearted one. I made a roast, taters, gravy, stuffing (from a box) and canned corn. And pumpkin pie from a Halloween punkin we didn't carve...no family or gathering, just football...
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

I'm the Thanksgiving Grinch in my family. I didn't grow up with all the "traditional" dinner, gathering of the families. I married and was thrust into that and HATED IT. DH worked on Thanksgiving, showed up to eat and left, leaving me to wrangle kids there, be social and get out of there. I did it for 16 yrs out there. Once we moved back here and I started working in a hospital I managed to work as many T-days as possible. Now kids are grown, daughters married and spending it with in-laws, DH works at hospital and his coworkers do their own meal thing,so he gets what ever he wants to eat. Son who lives with me goes over to his cousin's here in town and eats. I'm invited but would rather stay home alone with my dogs and horses. Went for a ride this morning before the cold front got here. On nicer days I take the dogs for a long walk in the woods.

Oh, I had a peanut butter/butter sandwich for lunch. I don't feel at all slighted. I love my family, they love me. My daughter with child was here for 3 days the first of the week and I got to play with my granddaughter and take her riding when we had lovely 80d weather.

I get sick of everyone asking what "are you serving". ALL the news shows have nothing but food stuff. No wonder everyone is over weight. LOL

Haiti has its own big family holiday around New Years, so Thanksgiving is just a work day. The holiday fixings aren't in the stores this year, though someone did find me a turkey breast. I'm still looking for what I'll have for dinner today, and I'll have people over for a roast turkey dinner Saturday night when I have time to cook.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

Wife was working, so got up took care of animals, then rode my horse.

Called parents, currently getting a pot roast w/potatoes ready for wifes return from work along with fresh coffee and drawing her a hot bath.

Other than that, have had a relaxed day around the house.
    Really kind of nice...

I'm just having a mental health day at home with the dogs and cats. Had brown rice and veggies for my afternoon meal. Probably will have a bowl of Fruit Loops for "dessert" a little later.
    She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

Nope - instead we traveled to Sedona to ride a train tomorrow and just finished a fast food Thanksgiving dinner as nothing else is open. It has been a very nice day!