The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Any Tripod/Lycos Users here - desperate for help!

Trying to keep this as short as possible, I have a website that is/was paid for by auto debit from my bank account thru Tripod, owned by Lycos. I was without a computer from July til about three weeks ago. When I was finally back on line, I could no longer access my website at all using my password, etc. In other words, I couldn't log in. Because I couldn't log in, I couldn't access their customer svc. number which is for paid members only.

I have emailed them thru their help desk and thru other departments after no response thru help desk, and even after 6 to 7 attempts to get their attention, I have gotten nowhere - no response. Then I notice that they are no longer deducting the monthly website fee from my account this month and have put it on as a freebie account complete with pop-up ads. So here I have a business website that I can't get to, can't get any contact info for them other than email, can't get them to reply and yet they go ahead and deduct the yearly amount for the domain. I don't know what to do.... anybody have any suggestions how to reach them or what to do. I don't want to lose my website, I want to continue paying for it like I have been, but I'm stuck. Any advice appreciated.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Did you register your domain privatly and still have control over it?

If yes:

1) Send them a registered letter explaining the situation. Include a copy of your bank statement demonstrating they charged you for a paid account, but have downgraded you to a free account, and you called on such dates, and sent such emails, and you are not happy.

While that is in the mail:

2) Go down to your bank and ask them what options/actions they will take on your behalf for a service provider who takes but does not provide.

3) Too late for this year but put a stop order on their automatic debits with your bank.

4) Move your domain to a new provider, pack up shop and move to a new host.

If no:

Steps 1, 2, 3 from above and try to resolve it without packing up shop.
    "The nice thing about memories is the good ones are stronger and linger longer than the bad and we sure have some incredibly good memories." - EverythingButWings

Thanks so much for replying. Unfortunately, I registered my domain thru Lycos as well so I guess that is bad news also for me. I wondered if it would be tacky if I tried to contact some other Tripod users with paying memberships and ask if they would provide me the CS number. I hate to do it that way but I'm down to rock bottom on solutions. Would you believe I've been a paying member for nearly two years now with absolutely no problems at all with them? And they claim they have wonderful customer service LOL.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.